DIY Reverb

DIY Studio Stuff
JD01

DIY Reverb

Post by JD01 »

This video just came out and I think it would be fun to try.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQnTTbZnug[/BBvideo]
[mention]Greg_L[/mention] I know you can't stand Rick Beato but you're probably the only person I know crazy enough to give this a go!

Actually, when I move back in, I might try it just for fun and I'll have speakers in a large ambient space.
Greg_L

Re: DIY Reverb

Post by Greg_L »

I'm not giving him a click but I've made my own reverbs. They're okay. I made one at an indoor gun range. It's intense and way too much for anything I do but it was pretty cool to do it. I'm content with freebies easily found out on the interwebs.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Tue May 21, 2019 7:56 am I'm not giving him a click but I've made my own reverbs. They're okay. I made one at an indoor gun range. It's intense and way too much for anything I do but it was pretty cool to do it. I'm content with freebies easily found out on the interwebs.
Yeah - I think you'd have to blend it in pretty sparingly to make it usable.

My recording/mixing room is dry as fuck and I still just use my favourite reverb impulse out of a few that you gave me years ago.

When I'm back in the house though I might send a totally dry vocal through a speaker in the living room with a condenser about 5m away and blend that in as a reverb track just to see how well it works. The new kitchen diner is a lot of bare walls and weird angles at the moment.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The dry signal through a speaker trick has been in use for decades. Like, at least half a century. Phil Spector made all of his famous mixes like that.

I have two spots in my house that are huge reverb chambers - the front entryway and a long straight tiled hallway. Both are great for massive roomy sounds...which I hardly ever use.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Tue May 21, 2019 8:12 am The dry signal through a speaker trick has been in use for decades. Like, at least half a century. Phil Spector made all of his famous mixes like that.

I have two spots in my house that are huge reverb chambers - the front entryway and a long straight tiled hallway. Both are great for massive roomy sounds...which I hardly ever use.
Yeah, in that video he talks about the Beatles recordings using the basement of Abbey Road for that.
rayc

Post by rayc »

i used the downstairs hall way for reverb on a mono track. I wanted to try some additional Spector stuff so gave it a go - longish narrow hallway with tiled floor worked well for a mono track - only a smidge or two blended in mind you.
I watched the whole vid and it was interesting but not useful.
I do like some of his "What makes This Song Great" autopsies though.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Haven't watched the video (still mulling it over since I don't much like Beato). Is he actually talking about using analog 'verb in your mix rather than confluence or some other digital option?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Tue May 21, 2019 11:58 am I don't much like Beato
Amen.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: ↑Tue May 21, 2019 8:02 am When I'm back in the house though I might send a totally dry vocal through a speaker in the living room with a condenser about 5m away and blend that in as a reverb track just to see how well it works.
That is pretty interesting actually. between this thread and after watching that brutus video where they are jamming in the pool it gives me an idea. I know the dude that does pool maintenance at the big activity center here in town. I wonder if he'd let me sneak in and try this some night. thoguh i worry in that situation a compressed condenser recording in that environment would pick up all the mechanical noise of all the equipment running in the back ground, flouresent light buzz etc.
:happytrees:
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

In the same vein of thought, I saw these recently; would be quite interesting to experience in person:

awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I just use ReaVerb and all those impulses I got from someone - probably [mention]Greg_L[/mention] , and various freebies, and my Strymon Big Sky for weirdy guitar noises and I try not to waste time worrying about reverb and making my own impulses and concentrate on writing and recording decent songs. :lollers:

Not that I've been doing any of that lately - even more reason not to be fucking around with spaces - even though, living in an old industrial building, there are probably a few good ones here. :biggrin:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: ↑Wed May 22, 2019 8:15 am I just use ReaVerb and all those impulses I got from someone - probably @Greg_L , and various freebies, and my Strymon Big Sky for weirdy guitar noises and I try not to waste time worrying about reverb and making my own impulses and concentrate on writing and recording decent songs. :lollers:

Not that I've been doing any of that lately - even more reason not to be fucking around with spaces - even though, living in an old industrial building, there are probably a few good ones here. :biggrin:
I agree with this. I'm all for experimentation and making your own shit if you can, or if you just want to, but it's gonna be really hard to beat the great reverbs already out there readily available.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Tue May 21, 2019 12:25 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Tue May 21, 2019 11:58 am I don't much like Beato
Amen.
There's a podcast I've started listening to called the "I'm in love with that song podcast" which is essentially his "what makes X song great" series but good. Instead of just describing the technical details of how a song is made, he discusses the musical decisions and why he likes them.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Thu May 23, 2019 1:14 pm

There's a podcast I've started listening to called the "I'm in love with that song podcast" which is essentially his "what makes X song great" series but good. Instead of just describing the technical details of how a song is made, he discusses the musical decisions and why he likes them.
I just have a hard time with someone else telling me why they think a song is great. I just generally don't give a fuck what other people think, and especially if it's a song I don't care about anyway. I don't need some youtube guy telling me why he thinks Blink 182 writes great songs. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Thu May 23, 2019 1:38 pm
I just have a hard time with someone else telling me why they think a song is great. I just generally don't give a fuck what other people think, and especially if it's a song I don't care about anyway. I don't need some youtube guy telling me why he thinks Blink 182 writes great songs. :lollers2:
It's because they exclusively use the 1564 (or sometimes 6415) chord progression, and any song written like that is great!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Thu May 23, 2019 1:38 pm I don't need some youtube guy telling me why he thinks Blink 182 writes great songs. :lollers2:
Do they though ?

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dpk2Hg-19Y[/BBvideo]

"That shit sounds killer" - Some guy in the background at the end of that video.

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Fri May 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Do they though ?

No, they don't.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Fri May 24, 2019 12:46 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Fri May 24, 2019 12:30 pm

Do they though ?

No, they don't.
I threw out all my Alakaline trio shirts when i found out Skiba joined 182. I didn't want to be that guy but i had to be that guy.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Fri May 24, 2019 12:49 pm

I threw out all my Alakaline trio shirts when i found out Skiba joined 182. I didn't want to be that guy but i had to be that guy.
To me, Blink 182 represents the absolute worst of 90s pop punk. Travis Barker is pretty great drummer and that's pretty much where any positives end for Blink 182.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I always thought Blink 182 were crap.