Wish me luck, I'm going in...

General recording topics.
Armistice

Wish me luck, I'm going in...

Post by Armistice »

Decided I really needed to drill into the Kemper and set it up properly instead of spending half my life auditioning profiles. So I grab the latest firmware update and the latest update for the software that talks to it from your PC (Rig Manager - optional - the Kemper works as a standalone unit, but sooo much easier) and install them and a bunch of other additional packs of bits and pieces for the Kemper and guess what....

The damn Rig Manager no longer talks to the PC. Grrrr.... You can see in the USB section that the Kemper is there but the driver ain't working.

Tried a variety of uninstalling and reinstalling of drivers and software and it's still fucked.

The intel on the Kemper forum is that's it's actually something to do with Windows not recognising the driver, or signing it, or something that I don't understand, so this means - gasp - I have to update Windows. :frown:

I have been on Win 7 forever and AFAIK have never updated it. The recording PC ain't connected to the net, and everything worked, so why bother?

Alas, it seems I have no choice, so now I'm downloading several GB worth of updates for Windows and crossing my fingers everything still works on the other side.

Wish me luck! :headwall:
Armistice

Re: Wish me luck, I'm going in...

Post by Armistice »

LOL - apparently I have updated Windows in the past. New Years Eve 2014. :lollers:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

OK - I've installed 72 Windows updates and am rebooting, as instructed. We'll see how it all goes...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Goodbye
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armi, you'll probably find it less hassle to flog the wanky city centre penthouse and move to the country and buy a nice loud real amp.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:12 am Armi, you'll probably find it less hassle to flog the wanky city centre penthouse and move to the country and buy a nice loud real amp.
LOL - it ain't a penthouse, trust me. And that's actually the exact medium term plan. More like beach than country though. Or halfway between. 3 years max, I hope.

But for now it's the Kemper.

Upgrading Windows seems to have solved the issue, PTL. And I've just deleted 200+ profiles to make room for my new simpler set up, which will now have to wait until after Easter, probably.

I'm actually trying to make it a simple amp box. I turn it on, I don't need to hook it up to a computer to use it, and I can simply pick from a small number of carefully selected profiles which I can find easily, depending upon which guitar I'm playing and which sound I want. Most of them already exist, I just haven't saved them anywhere - but I have written them down in various song files in Reaper.

And then I can ignore the rest of the stuff on it I don't actually need.

It's mainly a filing exercise now - gather up the tones I need and put them somewhere I can find them. I just hate filing and admin, so I haven't done it yet, but in the end the complexity of the box is forcing me to - it's like a multi-effect on steroids - you'd hate it.

But there are definitely noisy amps in my future, don't worry. :like: I have amps now - just a bit hard to use them here.

I used to use the spare bedroom and shut it up as tightly as I could so I could generate a decent volume - run the mic and guitar leads under the door and sit by the studio desk and play from there, but it was never loud enough to get really good sounds - apart from cleans. And I just can't do it at night. Even getting mild breakup always ended up a little fizzy from my big (30W) amp, so I bought a small (4W) amp - better but very one dimensional. So I bought the Kemper.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Sell the Kemper and get this!

https://www.suhr.com/electronics/tone-t ... e-load-ir/

If I were in a loudness restricted environment, I'd have one of these running nonstop.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:27 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:12 am Armi, you'll probably find it less hassle to flog the wanky city centre penthouse and move to the country and buy a nice loud real amp.
LOL - it ain't a penthouse, trust me. And that's actually the exact medium term plan. More like beach than country though. Or halfway between. 3 years max, I hope.

But for now it's the Kemper.

Upgrading Windows seems to have solved the issue, PTL. And I've just deleted 200+ profiles to make room for my new simpler set up, which will now have to wait until after Easter, probably.

I'm actually trying to make it a simple amp box. I turn it on, I don't need to hook it up to a computer to use it, and I can simply pick from a small number of carefully selected profiles which I can find easily, depending upon which guitar I'm playing and which sound I want. Most of them already exist, I just haven't saved them anywhere - but I have written them down in various song files in Reaper.

And then I can ignore the rest of the stuff on it I don't actually need.

It's mainly a filing exercise now - gather up the tones I need and put them somewhere I can find them. I just hate filing and admin, so I haven't done it yet, but in the end the complexity of the box is forcing me to - it's like a multi-effect on steroids - you'd hate it.

But there are definitely noisy amps in my future, don't worry. :like: I have amps now - just a bit hard to use them here.

I used to use the spare bedroom and shut it up as tightly as I could so I could generate a decent volume - run the mic and guitar leads under the door and sit by the studio desk and play from there, but it was never loud enough to get really good sounds - apart from cleans. And I just can't do it at night. Even getting mild breakup always ended up a little fizzy from my big (30W) amp, so I bought a small (4W) amp - better but very one dimensional. So I bought the Kemper.
Yeah, that's totally understandable. My situation is only marginally better than yours although I've found a relatively happy medium with 1W and 5W settings on my amp. It basically works out at about 100-105db 1-1.5m away from the amp. Its not gonna shake the windows, but its loud enough to feel good and generally won't piss the neighbours off too much as my studio/office room doesn't have an adjoining wall with next door.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:36 am Sell the Kemper and get this!

If I were in a loudness restricted environment, I'd have one of these running nonstop.

So do you just plug into that thing in place of a speaker cab? And run it to your interface?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I think it's prolly about as hard to dial in a good sound with a reactive load as it is to dial in the Kemper.
I'd love one but they're so pricey.

I think if I were gonna spend that much I'd go for a Fractal
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

musicturtle wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:39 pm

So do you just plug into that thing in place of a speaker cab? And run it to your interface?
Yup, you can. And it uses actual speaker impulses, included or you can load your own, so it should sound pretty damn good.
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Armistice wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:17 am Decided I really needed to drill into the Kemper and set it up properly instead of spending half my life auditioning profiles. So I grab the latest firmware update and the latest update for the software that talks to it from your PC (Rig Manager - optional - the Kemper works as a standalone unit, but sooo much easier) and install them and a bunch of other additional packs of bits and pieces for the Kemper and guess what....

The damn Rig Manager no longer talks to the PC. Grrrr.... You can see in the USB section that the Kemper is there but the driver ain't working.

Tried a variety of uninstalling and reinstalling of drivers and software and it's still fucked.

The intel on the Kemper forum is that's it's actually something to do with Windows not recognising the driver, or signing it, or something that I don't understand, so this means - gasp - I have to update Windows. :frown:

I have been on Win 7 forever and AFAIK have never updated it. The recording PC ain't connected to the net, and everything worked, so why bother?

Alas, it seems I have no choice, so now I'm downloading several GB worth of updates for Windows and crossing my fingers everything still works on the other side.

Wish me luck! :headwall:
Good luck. It always is a bit scary when that many updates run.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:36 am Sell the Kemper and get this!

I probably will end up with something like that at some stage. I'd also need a different amp though. My main amp is a 30W Laney combo, and it's more Vox AC30 than Marshall. Not great on the distorted tones. Future project.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Glad to hear that you survived :D
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:19 pm Glad to hear that you survived :D
It was a nerve racking 60 minutes. :shock:

Haven't been game to see if other programs still work. :frown: