Hey computer nerds - help a dummy out

General recording topics.
Greg_L

Re: Hey computer nerds - help a dummy out

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:51 am

I think it's at least the foundation of a pretty great audio computer.

Good question on the USB ports. The micro-ATX motherboard definitely restricts connectivity a bit. Sizing up to a larger motherboard and larger case wouldn't affect cost much, so that's an option. I've just been a fan of smaller, less obnoxious, more wife-friendly computers lately :)

Still, with this relatively diminutive machine, you'd get this connectivity:
- up to 2 displays
- on the back, you'd have 2xUSB 2 ports and 3xUSB 3.0 ports. Plus 2 more USB 3.0 ports on the front panel.
- There are a couple of additional USB2 headers on the motherboard that could be harnessed for more USB2 inputs if need be.
- hard-wired internet is included. Wi-fi would require an add-on.
Holy shit I can work with that. That's more USB than I ever need. And hardwired internet is just fine. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:33 am To geek out about it a bit:
- AMD Ryzen is a great CPU, and delivers terrific performance for the price. Also includes a very capable CPU cooler. No need for additional cooler.
- The Ryzen 2400G
This is the same thing that came up in the last two build threads.

You do need to make sure that you get the Ryzen with the updated BIOS. Otherwise, it does require a separate graphics card and is unsupported on several motherboards that should support it.
(i.e. we bought the exact same hardware. Yours had the BIOS update and you were up and running in minutes; while I took a month before I could post)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:08 pm

You do need to make sure that you get the Ryzen with the updated BIOS.
How would I even know? I don't even know wtf a "BIOS" is.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:33 am To geek out about it a bit:
- AMD Ryzen is a great CPU, and delivers terrific performance for the price. Also includes a very capable CPU cooler. No need for additional cooler.
- The Ryzen 2400G

You do need to make sure that you get the Ryzen with the updated BIOS. Otherwise, it does require a separate graphics card and is unsupported on several motherboards that should support it.
(i.e. we bought the exact same hardware. Yours had the BIOS update and you were up and running in minutes; while I took a month before I could post)
This. Very important. I recall all these issues. I think VHS had a horrible time and either paulman or sweet dan had no issues what so ever. So this is all really good stuff to remember.
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:10 pm

You do need to make sure that you get the Ryzen with the updated BIOS.
Typically, they're all updated and there are no worries. I think that Steve had the misfortune to get a hold of some older stock that didn't ship with a new enough BIOS version to support the latest 2nd gen CPUs. That's definitely a risk, but by now I'd expect the vast majority of boards to be shipping with newer BIOS versions. Famous last words, I know :)
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Oh and sorry I haven't updated with any more alternative systems yet. Its been a lazy day abd I've been binging game of thrones in anticipation of the premiere that's starting now. Please hold all of my calls for the next hour or so :)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:31 pm Oh and sorry I haven't updated with any more alternative systems yet. Its been a lazy day abd I've been binging game of thrones in anticipation of the premiere that's starting now. Please hold all of my calls for the next hour or so :)
Ha don't sweat it. I'm still not sure if or when I'd pull the trigger on this. Apparently I can build an sophisticated amp from nothing, but the wife doesn't have much faith in me building a computer. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:46 pm
Tadpui wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:31 pm Oh and sorry I haven't updated with any more alternative systems yet. Its been a lazy day abd I've been binging game of thrones in anticipation of the premiere that's starting now. Please hold all of my calls for the next hour or so :)
Ha don't sweat it. I'm still not sure if or when I'd pull the trigger on this. Apparently I can build an sophisticated amp from nothing, but the wife doesn't have much faith in me building a computer. :lollers2:
You can totally do it. It is pretty simple. The building bit is a piece of piss. The installation of the OS was more nerve wracking for me than anything else. They make it pretty easy to put together these days though. The hardest part of building your own daw Tad has already done for you and having checked out his suggestion it woukd be a damn fine rig.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:24 am

You can totally do it. It is pretty simple. The building bit is a piece of piss. The installation of the OS was more nerve wracking for me than anything else. They make it pretty easy to put together these days though. The hardest part of building your own daw Tad has already done for you and having checked out his suggestion it woukd be a damn fine rig.
That's what I told her! I was like "look lady, I'm a fucking man! I build shit!"

She was all... :k:
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:50 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:24 am

That's what I told her! I was like "look lady, I'm a fucking man! I build shit!"

She was all... :k:
LOL that's pretty good :D

I agree, building a computer is more plug-n-play than ever before. But it seems that there will always be that one "gotcha" with every build. Steve had the BIOS thing, which was a huge pain in the ass. I've had one or two things with every build that threw me for a loop. Whether it's some software thing, or some physical thing where something doesn't fit like it should, or this cable isn't long enough, or DAMMIT I got a hold of a defective component, or whatever...it's all solvable. And you've got a good support network here, so the brain trust will likely be able to help you work through any complications that might arise.

Although I think that you should find a thick pair of glasses, a short-sleeved button-up shirt with a breast pocket, then fill that shirt pocket with every pen and pencil in the house, then tell your wife that you're about to build a computer. Also, express your disappointment with where the Star Wars and Marvel Universe franchises are headed. That'll add some authenticity to your argument :D
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:04 am Although I think that you should find a thick pair of glasses, a short-sleeved button-up shirt with a breast pocket, then fill that shirt pocket with every pen and pencil in the house, then tell your wife that you're about to build a computer.
If this doesn't happen i am going to ban him. :happytrees: :coolstorybro:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:04 am

LOL that's pretty good :D

I agree, building a computer is more plug-n-play than ever before. But it seems that there will always be that one "gotcha" with every build. Steve had the BIOS thing, which was a huge pain in the ass. I've had one or two things with every build that threw me for a loop. Whether it's some software thing, or some physical thing where something doesn't fit like it should, or this cable isn't long enough, or DAMMIT I got a hold of a defective component, or whatever...it's all solvable. And you've got a good support network here, so the brain trust will likely be able to help you work through any complications that might arise.

Although I think that you should find a thick pair of glasses, a short-sleeved button-up shirt with a breast pocket, then fill that shirt pocket with every pen and pencil in the house, then tell your wife that you're about to build a computer. Also, express your disappointment with where the Star Wars and Marvel Universe franchises are headed. That'll add some authenticity to your argument :D
Lol. She's not wrong though. I don't know anything about a computer.

I have no doubt that I can assemble parts. When it doesn't work is where her doubts come into play and she's right. She knows how computer dumb I am.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:28 pm
Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:10 pm

Typically, they're all updated and there are no worries. I think that Steve had the misfortune to get a hold of some older stock that didn't ship with a new enough BIOS version to support the latest 2nd gen CPUs. That's definitely a risk, but by now I'd expect the vast majority of boards to be shipping with newer BIOS versions. Famous last words, I know :)
You'd hope so!

That's why I wouldn't recommend this build for a noob. It's hard enough to troubleshoot something like that if you know what you're doing. And if there's no way to know for sure that you won't have the issue before you buy parts? Forget it!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:54 pm You'd hope so!

That's why I wouldn't recommend this build for a noob. It's hard enough to troubleshoot something like that if you know what you're doing. And if there's no way to know for sure that you won't have the issue before you buy parts? Forget it!
The difference here is that yours was a B350 chipset, which was a 1st generation chipset to support 1st gen Ryzen. It did need a BIOS update in order to support a 2nd gen Ryzen CPU.

The one that I selected is a B450 chipset, which is a 2nd generation chipset to support 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen. It should be good to go right out of the box for a 2600G.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

I have a couple of suggestions. Bag that Hitachi mechanical hard drive and instead get the largest SSD that you can afford. Also you should get two 16 gig sticks of ram instead of two 8 gig sticks. I also prefer the ATX form factor motherboards over Micro ATX.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:32 am
Lol. She's not wrong though. I don't know anything about a computer.

I have no doubt that I can assemble parts. When it doesn't work is where her doubts come into play and she's right. She knows how computer dumb I am.
Dude you got this. The money you will save is unbelievable. I did it last year and for the first time and it was really liberating. There is zero rocket science involved. Plus as Tad said there are many here to help you if you get stuck.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Building a computer is super super easy if all the parts are working properly.

Like seriously, a 10 piece jigsaw puzzle kind of easy.

I was super pissed when my computer wasn’t working for gaming. For everything else it worked. But not games. I tried a whole bunch of different stuff to get it working but nothin worked. Finally, I friend tried running the OS through a usb enclosure and everything worked like a charm. I suspect the south bridge was the problem.

Granted, my build was assembled from already outdated parts and it is pretty Frankenstein. You shouldn’t have a problem at all. Honestly, the way it goes is take the empty computer case.

1. Put the motherboard in and tighten it down with screws into the holes that line up (the motherboard looks like a big flat board with a bunch of electronic things all over it).
2. Put in the power supply. Connect everything where it’s supposed to (all the connectors are unique so there’s no way you’ll get it wrong).
3. Put in the Hd. Connect it to the motherboard. (Again, a unique connector)
4. Now do the DVD drive (same thing)
5. Insert the RAM (unique slots again. You can’t get it wrong).
6. Put the cpu in the motherboard. There’s slits that line up with the slots on the motherboard, so you can’t get the orientation wrong. Close the latch from the motherboard. Closing the latch will come with a bit of resistance. You may feel like you’ll break it if you press down any harder, but don’t worry about it.
7. Dabble a small amount of thermal paste on top of the CPU. It should be pea size or a tiny bit more.
8. Press the CPU fan on top of the paste so that the paste will evenly cover the CPU.
9. Connect the fans connector to a power supply on the motherboard. (It’s likely that the motherboard will have a place that says “FAN” on it).
10. Close your case. Insert the windows DVD. Get everything up and running and you’re done!

10 piece jigsaw.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I also agree with the idea of getting an SSD instead of a hard drive. You’ll notice your start up is really fast and that your applications will open and close MUCH faster. If you need more space, you can always get an external hard drive.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I can't even get the updates to work on the 8.1 machine, so maybe it's best I just not try to build one.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg, its the compatibility between stuff, problems that it may create, and inability to solve them that really puts me off something like this. If you know what you're doing it would be great to have a machine that you've built yourself and doesn't have "helpful" stuff from Dell or HP pre-installed. But if you don't know what you're doing building a machine yourself is probably more hassle than its worth.

After discussing what elements of the specification are important with Tad I just shortlisted a bunch of pre-built laptops that were in my price range and asked him which was best.

They were all so far above the knackered old machine that I'd been working on up to that point that it made a huge difference.

I think we're pretty similar in terms of VSTs (other than I use EZ drummer). I only really use ReaEQ, ReaVerb and a few compressors. Even bottom of the range pre-built shit available will run all that, no problem.