Hey computer nerds - help a dummy out

General recording topics.
Greg_L

Hey computer nerds - help a dummy out

Post by Greg_L »

[mention]Tadpui[/mention] I watched your budget audio computer video and got my wheels turning...but I'm a computard so I have no idea about any of it...

I've always used hand-me-downs for my recording computer and I'm always way way behind the curve. I think it might be time to go current.

I got another hand-me-down...here's the specs as far as I can tell...

Windows 8.1
Intel Pentium J2900
8GB DDR3 memory
1TB hard drive
Intel HD graphics?
Something about a dvd burner and some wireless shit

Is this even worth messing with? :confused:
And if so, do I need to upgrade anything?
And if not, school me on how to put together something bad ass.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Re: Hey computer nerds - help a dummy out

Post by Tadpui »

Any idea what the specs are of the computer that you're using now? That might be the deciding factor to see if it's worth moving to this machine.

It's kind of an old dog already.

While I'm not familiar with that specific processor, I can say that Pentium is pretty much over and done with. Intel's Core series is where it's at with today's computers (you hear us nerds talking about Core i3, Core i5, Core i7 sometimes). I looked it up on a benchmarking website, and it scores really low compared to today's processors. And it's "performance per dollar" score is a whopping 0.00 :D

That doesn't mean that it's garbage though. Since you're not some plugin addict producah with 150 VSTs and 12 instances of Omnisphere running at all times, it might work for small to medium audio-centric projects with modest VST usage.

let's compare it to what you're already using before making any final judgements.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:20 pm Any idea what the specs are of the computer that you're using now? That might be the deciding factor to see if it's worth moving to this machine.

It's kind of an old dog already.

While I'm not familiar with that specific processor, I can say that Pentium is pretty much over and done with. Intel's Core series is where it's at with today's computers (you hear us nerds talking about Core i3, Core i5, Core i7 sometimes). I looked it up on a benchmarking website, and it scores really low compared to today's processors. And it's "performance per dollar" score is a whopping 0.00 :D

That doesn't mean that it's garbage though. Since you're not some plugin addict producah with 150 VSTs and 12 instances of Omnisphere running at all times, it might work for small to medium audio-centric projects with modest VST usage.

let's compare it to what you're already using before making any final judgements.
Okay, thanks. This laptop I've been using:

Windows 7
Intel i3-2350M 2.3 GHz
8 GB memory
500G hard drive

I'm not heavy with plug-ins. I don't use any VSTs, but some of my compressors and stuff will bog it down if I'm running a lot of tracks. I can track with really low latency, but I run the latency as high as it will go for mixing or it might bog down.

I'm also gonna get a new interface to go with whatever new computer I use.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:19 am Okay, thanks. This laptop I've been using:

Windows 7
Intel i3-2350M 2.3 GHz
8 GB memory
500G hard drive

I'm not heavy with plug-ins. I don't use any VSTs, but some of my compressors and stuff will bog it down if I'm running a lot of tracks. I can track with really low latency, but I run the latency as high as it will go for mixing or it might bog down.

I'm also gonna get a new interface to go with whatever new computer I use.
OK, very good, thanks for the info!

Even though your laptop's 2nd generation i3 is also an old dog, it does walk circles around the Pentium from the other computer. But yeah, I could definitely see it still being underpowered for an audio workstation, especially when you start adding a few VSTs while mixing. I'm actually impressed that you're getting great latency when tracking!

Honestly though, there are some x-factors that make it a little tough to determine which computer will work better for audio. I'd say fire up the new computer, get Reaper and some VSTs installed, and see what happens when you open and play an existing project through it. Try a small ASIO buffer, a big one...try to break it and see what happens. Who knows, it may prove me totally wrong and be a rock star for your use case.

But if you're interested, just as an exercise, let's see what kind of computer we could part out and custom build (or buy pre-built) for your budget. I think that the 3 biggest questions for a computer are:

- what is your use case (we already know this: it's an audio workstation, not for gaming or video editing)
- laptop or desktop?
- what is your budget?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:45 am

OK, very good, thanks for the info!

Even though your laptop's 2nd generation i3 is also an old dog, it does walk circles around the Pentium from the other computer. But yeah, I could definitely see it still being underpowered for an audio workstation, especially when you start adding a few VSTs while mixing. I'm actually impressed that you're getting great latency when tracking!

Honestly though, there are some x-factors that make it a little tough to determine which computer will work better for audio. I'd say fire up the new computer, get Reaper and some VSTs installed, and see what happens when you open and play an existing project through it. Try a small ASIO buffer, a big one...try to break it and see what happens. Who knows, it may prove me totally wrong and be a rock star for your use case.

But if you're interested, just as an exercise, let's see what kind of computer we could part out and custom build (or buy pre-built) for your budget. I think that the 3 biggest questions for a computer are:

- what is your use case (we already know this: it's an audio workstation, not for gaming or video editing)
- laptop or desktop?
- what is your budget?
Awesome, thanks. I have been leaning towards just trying it and seeing what happens. Do I even need to go to windows 10 with it?

A brand new computer would be cool. If I were to go that route:
1) Audio workstation with general internet use - watch movies, youtube, listen to music. No gaming or video editing.
2) Desktop
3) No idea on budget yet. Prob around $1000 max.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:55 am Awesome, thanks. I have been leaning towards just trying it and seeing what happens. Do I even need to go to windows 10 with it?

A brand new computer would be cool. If I were to go that route:
1) Audio workstation with general internet use - watch movies, youtube, listen to music. No gaming or video editing.
2) Desktop
3) No idea on budget yet. Prob around $1000 max.
I have a personal bias against Windows 8 and 8.1. I really, really hated it. While I'd recommend that Windows 7 users stick with it as long as they can (although those days are numbered), I think that your overall user experience is going to be better with Windows 10. But that's going to require a license, which can be anywhere from $25 on a good day to over $100 at most retail outlets. I'd say give Win8.1 a shot and if you truly can't stand it, install an unlicensed version of Windows 10 and see how you like it. You can download it straight from Microsoft onto a USB stick and install it from there. It'll function totally fine indefinitely (except no customization options like wallpaper, etc). If you like it, spring for a license at some point.

Oh man, I can have a lot of fun for under $1K. PCPartPicker.com, here I come :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:05 am

I have a personal bias against Windows 8 and 8.1. I really, really hated it. While I'd recommend that Windows 7 users stick with it as long as they can (although those days are numbered), I think that your overall user experience is going to be better with Windows 10. But that's going to require a license, which can be anywhere from $25 on a good day to over $100 at most retail outlets. I'd say give Win8.1 a shot and if you truly can't stand it, install an unlicensed version of Windows 10 and see how you like it. You can download it straight from Microsoft onto a USB stick and install it from there. It'll function totally fine indefinitely (except no customization options like wallpaper, etc). If you like it, spring for a license at some point.

Oh man, I can have a lot of fun for under $1K. PCPartPicker.com, here I come :D
Awesome, thanks.

I truly don't know or notice the difference from one Windows to another, so 8 might just be fine for me. I have no idea. I couldn't care less about games or wallpaper or whatever Windows does.

I'm open to whatever you suggest as far as new stuff goes. If you can design something between 500-1000 bucks I bet I can get the missus on board. :lollers2:

Oh, and I'd like to do the multiple screens thing.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:14 am Awesome, thanks.

I truly don't know or notice the difference from one Windows to another, so 8 might just be fine for me. I have no idea. I couldn't care less about games or wallpaper or whatever Windows does.

I'm open to whatever you suggest as far as new stuff goes. If you can design something between 500-1000 bucks I bet I can get the missus on board. :lollers2:

Oh, and I'd like to do the multiple screens thing.
Oh yeah, then definitely stick with Windows 8.1 for now if it doesn't bother you. That's one less complication.

Roger on the multiple displays. Most motherboards support that natively, so it's just a matter of finding the right cables and plugging in 2 or 3 displays and you're set. I'd bet that your "new" computer's back panel has at least 1 HDMI and 1 VGA output on it. If you've got the cables, you could probably plug 2 displays into it right now.

Give me a day or two to do some nerd shopping and I'll report back. Tomorrow is a nutballs day. We've got an insurance adjuster, a plumber, an HVAC guy, and a fence guy coming over for last-minute repairs on the house before we seal the deal on selling it. But I've got all weekend to myself after that so I'll have plenty of time to geek out at newegg and amazon. And in the meantime, other fellow computer nerds will surely chime in with their suggestions :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:25 am

Oh yeah, then definitely stick with Windows 8.1 for now if it doesn't bother you. That's one less complication.

Roger on the multiple displays. Most motherboards support that natively, so it's just a matter of finding the right cables and plugging in 2 or 3 displays and you're set. I'd bet that your "new" computer's back panel has at least 1 HDMI and 1 VGA output on it. If you've got the cables, you could probably plug 2 displays into it right now.

Give me a day or two to do some nerd shopping and I'll report back. Tomorrow is a nutballs day. We've got an insurance adjuster, a plumber, an HVAC guy, and a fence guy coming over for last-minute repairs on the house before we seal the deal on selling it. But I've got all weekend to myself after that so I'll have plenty of time to geek out at newegg and amazon. And in the meantime, other fellow computer nerds will surely chime in with their suggestions :D
Cool man, take your time. Thanks again. Good luck with the house crap!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:05 am You can download it straight from Microsoft onto a USB stick and install it from there. It'll function totally fine indefinitely (except no customization options like wallpaper, etc). If you like it, spring for a license at some point.
not hijack gregs thread Tad, but i'd like to know more about this sometime. I have many questions.

Tadpui wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:05 am PCPartPicker.com,
Such a great website. Do you know if they have improved the feature that will not allow you to put together a PC with incompatible parts? Last time i was there the jury was still out on how well that worked. I haven't been on there in a few years though. Regardless it's a cool site.The supports forums also has the odd current DAW build to see what other folks are doing too.

ugh. I should make my way over there :lollers2: :lollers2:
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:05 am I'd recommend that Windows 7 users stick with it as long as they can (although those days are numbered),
Next January is the official end of free support. So if you're still running it, you should disconnect it from the internet because you won't get security upgrades any more.
Windows 10. But that's going to require a license, which can be anywhere from $25 on a good day to over $100 at most retail outlets.
With a valid 7 or 8 install, they might offer a free upgrade.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:43 am
Windows 10. But that's going to require a license, which can be anywhere from $25 on a good day to over $100 at most retail outlets.
With a valid 7 or 8 install, they might offer a free upgrade.
Yeah last summer I thought I was gonna have to buy a license but the upgrade turned out to be free for the machine from 8.1 to 10.

Although if you are building a new machine on your own, I doubt a license of any kind would be included.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:20 am not hijack gregs thread Tad, but i'd like to know more about this sometime. I have many questions.
Oh sure! I installed it this way on that audio computer that I built. It was pretty straight forward, from what I remember. You can find download instructions here on MS's website:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:20 am Such a great website. Do you know if they have improved the feature that will not allow you to put together a PC with incompatible parts? Last time i was there the jury was still out on how well that worked. I haven't been on there in a few years though. Regardless it's a cool site.The supports forums also has the odd current DAW build to see what other folks are doing too.

ugh. I should make my way over there :lollers2: :lollers2:
I probably wouldn't trust it 100% to identify incompatibilities, but I think it's pretty solid. I'd still want to verify size restrictions on my own, like make sure that my graphics card would fit inside the chassis, and that the CPU cooler would fit inside the chassis too.
vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:43 am With a valid 7 or 8 install, they might offer a free upgrade.
musicturtle wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:53 am Yeah last summer I thought I was gonna have to buy a license but the upgrade turned out to be free for the machine from 8.1 to 10.

Although if you are building a new machine on your own, I doubt a license of any kind would be included.
Good point! I really don't know if they're still offering the free upgrade to 10. I guess I upgraded to 10 so long ago that I haven't kept tabs on it in the last few years. It'd definitely be worth investigating.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I looked last night and they said the 10 free upgrade expired in 2016!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:46 pm I looked last night and they said the 10 free upgrade expired in 2016!
i am doing a little bit of digging when i can and i think you can still do it they just don't offer the or support the tool that does it. Don't quote me just yet but i think that is a thing. it has to be done via an upgrade though?

More to follow. Currently smoked At work again.
:happytrees:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:46 pm I looked last night and they said the 10 free upgrade expired in 2016!
Yeah it has something to do with the OEM license. Basically a license that is tied to a machine. Sometimes when you upgrade the OEM license covers it I guess. Like I said, I did mine last summer, well out of the free window and activated the license. So it may be worth a try. I even completely wiped the HD and it worked so I must be tied to the hardware somehow.

If you are building from scratch, which I would be jealous of BTW, I don't think it matters because you will have to buy an operating system anyway because you cannot transfer it from machine to machine.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:14 am Oh, and I'd like to do the multiple screens thing.
I did that for a while but it's a pain in the bum more often than not as I'd want to use both screens when mixing SO I ditched the 2nd screen as well as the 1st and used a large screen TV (old one of course). SUPERB.
W10 is VERY hungry - so much unnecessary stuff in the background that is difficult to turn off.
My Mrs downloaded in earlier this week for her laptop but wound it back to 7 after just two days - too slow she said.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

OK [mention]Greg_L[/mention] , this is a somewhat lazy first attempt, but I think that it at least shows that we can part out a solid audio machine that's fast, quiet, compact, and has hella storage for under $700. I'm sure that prices of each component will vary a bit by vendor, so if you wanted to get everything from the same place, there'll be a bit of a premium for that.

You can see the build at this link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9BTxzY

To geek out about it a bit:
- AMD Ryzen is a great CPU, and delivers terrific performance for the price. Also includes a very capable CPU cooler. No need for additional cooler.
- The Ryzen 2400G has very capable integrated graphics that should drive multiple displays without breaking a sweat. No need for additional graphics card.
- The motherboard is a Micro ATX form factor, which limits expandability but allows for a compact build
- The chassis is a compact Micro ATX mini tower, with no fancy bells or whistles. Nice subtle understated design that doesn't scream "adolescent gamer"
- 16GB of RAM, plenty for your use case
- A super fast 250GB M.2 system drive, and a gigantic 2TB mass storage drive for all of your current projects, all of your past projects, and all of your great-great grandchildrens' projects to come.
- A couple of nice PWM chassis fans (120mm intake and 92mm exhaust), which should cooperate nicely with the motherboard's fan controls to remain quiet and still keep things cool.
- 550W semi-modular power supply will handle anything you can throw at it
- oh, and a full license for Windows 10 Home edition. No dicking around with trying to upgrade or transfer an existing license

I can take another stab at it tomorrow, but at least this tells me that for $600 - $800 you could build your own audio supercomputer.

I'll see what equivalent computer I can find pre-built, just to compare.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:33 am OK @Greg_L , this is a somewhat lazy first attempt, but I think that it at least shows that we can part out a solid audio machine that's fast, quiet, compact, and has hella storage for under $700. I'm sure that prices of each component will vary a bit by vendor, so if you wanted to get everything from the same place, there'll be a bit of a premium for that.

You can see the build at this link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9BTxzY

To geek out about it a bit:
- AMD Ryzen is a great CPU, and delivers terrific performance for the price. Also includes a very capable CPU cooler. No need for additional cooler.
- The Ryzen 2400G has very capable integrated graphics that should drive multiple displays without breaking a sweat. No need for additional graphics card.
- The motherboard is a Micro ATX form factor, which limits expandability but allows for a compact build
- The chassis is a compact Micro ATX mini tower, with no fancy bells or whistles. Nice subtle understated design that doesn't scream "adolescent gamer"
- 16GB of RAM, plenty for your use case
- A super fast 250GB M.2 system drive, and a gigantic 2TB mass storage drive for all of your current projects, all of your past projects, and all of your great-great grandchildrens' projects to come.
- A couple of nice PWM chassis fans (120mm intake and 92mm exhaust), which should cooperate nicely with the motherboard's fan controls to remain quiet and still keep things cool.
- 550W semi-modular power supply will handle anything you can throw at it
- oh, and a full license for Windows 10 Home edition. No dicking around with trying to upgrade or transfer an existing license

I can take another stab at it tomorrow, but at least this tells me that for $600 - $800 you could build your own audio supercomputer.

I'll see what equivalent computer I can find pre-built, just to compare.
Wow that's really cool! Thanks for taking the time to do that. I like.

What about USB ports and all that shit? And what about internet hookup?
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:57 am Wow that's really cool! Thanks for taking the time to do that. I like.

What about USB ports and all that shit? And what about internet hookup?
I think it's at least the foundation of a pretty great audio computer.

Good question on the USB ports. The micro-ATX motherboard definitely restricts connectivity a bit. Sizing up to a larger motherboard and larger case wouldn't affect cost much, so that's an option. I've just been a fan of smaller, less obnoxious, more wife-friendly computers lately :)

Still, with this relatively diminutive machine, you'd get this connectivity:
- up to 2 displays
- on the back, you'd have 2xUSB 2 ports and 3xUSB 3.0 ports. Plus 2 more USB 3.0 ports on the front panel.
- There are a couple of additional USB2 headers on the motherboard that could be harnessed for more USB2 inputs if need be.
- hard-wired internet is included. Wi-fi would require an add-on.