GOd Dammit, if it isn't one thing

This should be self explanatory.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

GOd Dammit, if it isn't one thing

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Honestly.

I can't get a break with this shit. I have been in a zone arranging and programming drums and working out cool guitar parts for this latest Recording Challenge i must have really pissed my computer off.

I suspect this isn't a sign of good things is it ? ? ?
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: GOd Dammit, if it isn't one thing

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ok, I've backed up windows, did the SFC scan, said nothing is wrong. Did CHKDSK and didn't see anything but now i see this when i reboot.

Fucking Awesome. Really take the wind out of a guys sails.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Ouch! I'd say that your computer is trying to tell you that your HDD is kaput.

The good news is that HDDs are super cheap nowadays.

The bad news is that you've gotta reinstall Windows on the new drive and restore all of your files. But that's manageable. A pain in the ass, but manageable.

And hey, this might be a good opportunity to upgrade to a SSD!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Take a look at this. You might want to try and update the firmware for that drive, it may be incorrectly reporting that "failing attribute". E7 in hex is 231 in decimal, and the manufacturer has released a firmware update specifically relating to that error code being falsely reported. It'd be worth a try!

https://media.kingston.com/support/down ... 040914.pdf

This is the page with all of the info and downloads:

https://www.kingston.com/us/support/tec ... ads/111657
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

[mention]Tadpui[/mention] thanks man. I am going to go try this asap!!!

This little guy is an ssd and it toally changed my whole user experience. As far as i know though i originally set it up to run my OS and programs. I still track to a separate 7200RPM HDD. I have loved it so much. Its only a little 126gb and i could probably go a little bigger. Memory Express has some great sales on SDD's right now. I may just grab a few and rebuild it into a windows 10 machine??

Question. The back up i did last night was a windows 7 back up. Say i decide to upgrade to windows 10 will i be able to back files to that from the windows 7 back up?

Im gonna make a coffee and try that firmware thing. I never even thought of the firmware.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Every time I see one of these threads, I'm all....

I feel bad for you guys having computer problems, then I feel terrified because I have no idea what any of this means and it might happen to me. I really should learn something about a computer. Something. Anything.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lol. [mention]Greg_L[/mention] every dog has its day. But if you some how make it through life without a disk error or blue screen of death i will set up a charity in your name to help others with horse shoes up their ass. :lollers: :lollers2: :lollers2:

I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:25 pm Lol. @Greg_L every dog has its day. But if you some how make it through life without a disk error or blue screen of death i will set up a charity in your name to help others with horse shoes up their ass. :lollers: :lollers2: :lollers2:

Lol for real. Seriously, I don't know how or why it hasn't happened, but I've been incredibly lucky to not have many catastrophic computer problems.

But.....I have a new (to me) desktop sitting here that I haven't even turned on yet and my plan is for it to be main computer #1, and this one I'm currently on will become like a tracking/drums-in-a-different-room setup.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:34 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:25 pm Lol. @Greg_L every dog has its day. But if you some how make it through life without a disk error or blue screen of death i will set up a charity in your name to help others with horse shoes up their ass. :lollers: :lollers2: :lollers2:

Lol for real. Seriously, I don't know how or why it hasn't happened, but I've been incredibly lucky to not have many catastrophic computer problems.

But.....I have a new (to me) desktop sitting here that I haven't even turned on yet and my plan is for it to be main computer #1, and this one I'm currently on will become like a tracking/drums-in-a-different-room setup.
Well i legitimately hope you never have these struggles. Count your blessings honestly.

On the one hand i am very grateful for what computers and the digital market have been able to afford me at this stage of my life so that i can keep being creative and make music whenever i have the time to do so. Yet, on the other hand times like this fucking suck. And like especially right now when i am full steam ahead on a project i am into and motivated on. Sure it's just a cover but i have been knee deep in it for well over a week now. Longer actually, the drum programming is killing me. The failures, data loss, upgrades, reinstalls all that stuff is such a huge pain in the ass. But for me the way i can justify it is, is my computer is now my band. When i was in bands regularly i had to cater to ego's, addictions, van problems, power outages, shitty gear, stolen stuff, girlfriends, wives, parents, lazy musicians. Etc. I can't blame the bass player here because 50% of that time i was the bass player. :lollers2: :lollers2: Bass Players always get a pass from me. lol.

For me all this stuff is just life balancing out. If it isn't some clown who'd rather bang a few rails of blow and play xbox all day rather than practice, it is a stick of ram that doesn't want to work and is fucking up everything. :headwall:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:52 pm

Well i legitimately hope you never have these struggles. Count your blessings honestly.

On the one hand i am very grateful for what computers and the digital market have been able to afford me at this stage of my life so that i can keep being creative and make music whenever i have the time to do so. Yet, on the other hand times like this fucking suck. And like especially right now when i am full steam ahead on a project i am into and motivated on. Sure it's just a cover but i have been knee deep in it for well over a week now. Longer actually, the drum programming is killing me. The failures, data loss, upgrades, reinstalls all that stuff is such a huge pain in the ass. But for me the way i can justify it is, is my computer is now my band. When i was in bands regularly i had to cater to ego's, addictions, van problems, power outages, shitty gear, stolen stuff, girlfriends, wives, parents, lazy musicians. Etc. I can't blame the bass player here because 50% of that time i was the bass player. :lollers2: :lollers2: Bass Players always get a pass from me. lol.

For me all this stuff is just life balancing out. If it isn't some clown who'd rather bang a few rails of blow and play xbox all day rather than practice, it is a stick of ram that doesn't want to work and is fucking up everything. :headwall:
You got your stuff backed up?
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

That sucks [mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention]

You can also create a Ubuntu usb drive, run Ubuntu from the usb, and see if it recognizes the drive and then you will know if it is windows problem or the disk drive itself.

My guess is the drive. But you never know, I had a problem with a drive and it was Windows Defender messing it up.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

[mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] that's an enormous pain in the arse, mate. How you get it sorted.
You've just reminded me that I need to back up my songs that are in the finished/planning on finishing directory!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:51 pm You got your stuff backed up?
Yep. Once last night and once again this morning just in case.
JD01 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:23 pm [mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] that's an enormous pain in the arse, mate. How you get it sorted.
You've just reminded me that I need to back up my songs that are in the finished/planning on finishing directory!
It is a pain. It also also incredibly deflating. After riding a high of a new pedal, fixing a new/old mic, and kicking ass at this cover i knew it could only have been too good to be true. That's what i get i suppose. :confused:

Ok:
Only took me three hours to figure out this AHCI requirement to get the firmware toolbox [mention]Tadpui[/mention] pointed me to to recognize my hard drive and when that finally did it's thing it said no firmware updates available at this time. :spacepalm:

I say all this as i am logged on and things seem to be working but i keep getting the bloody errors telling me to stop and back up, i get that same ugly screen when i turn the computer on. I am going to just try my luck and keep using it and backing up until it bites the dust. I'll just get a new SSD on order here as as soon as i can. memoryexpress has some killer sales on right now but some of the stuff is really lacking positive reviews? I'll research makes and models later. I need to go blow off some steam before my composure goes out the window here.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:38 pm

It is a pain. It also also incredibly deflating. After riding a high of a new pedal, fixing a new/old mic, and kicking ass at this cover i knew it could only have been too good to be true. That's what i get i suppose. :confused:
No, stay upbeat. This is just a hiccup. All those good things still exist.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Back up in a certain OS usually require the same version of OS to get to the next level. I did an early XP backup with windows yonks ago and then hd the upgraded XP version for the new install - NO way it would take the bup info.
IF you've used a third party Bup you might have better luck.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I've hardly had even a slight glitch, so far. Mind you my PC simply fails to boot every now and then and has since Day 1, and I just turn it off and start again and every single time it boots second time around. Weird.

Good luck with the faux error, if that's what it is! Hope so!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:15 am

I've hardly had even a slight glitch, so far. Mind you my PC simply fails to boot every now and then and has since Day 1, and I just turn it off and start again and every single time it boots second time around. Weird.

Good luck with the faux error, if that's what it is! Hope so!
I feel like these are not normal operating conditions Armi.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Damn, bummer. I have had a few issues, but none of them terrible. But, when I do have issues I usually use it as an excuse to upgrade. I forget what my last problem was, but then I just got a new pc and there was no longer a problem. Im a consumer whore.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:34 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:38 pm

No, stay upbeat. This is just a hiccup. All those good things still exist.
This 1000x

Keep at it. I wanna hear it.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

All your data storage is on a different disk?

At least swapping out your system drive and rebuilding the OS isn't the end of the world. It's a hassle, but it's a straighforward-enough problem.