Difference between current interfaces

General recording topics.
CrowsofFritz

Difference between current interfaces

Post by CrowsofFritz »

When I was learning about audio in high school, the studio I was learning in had very old MOTU and very old Apogee converters.

I could hear the difference a bit, but how much is that true today? It seems like the gap between the cheap stuff and the expensive stuff is narrowing quite a bit.

Seems like even a Behringer converter is hardly noticeably worse than an expensive Apogee.

I feel like the money could be better spent elsewhere like good instruments, amps, plugins, mics, etc.

I also feel like, as time goes on, this gap will continue to close and there will be little point in buying the expensive interfaces.

Modeling amps used to suck, but now they are damn good today. It seems like the same thing applies to interfaces as well. It seems to apply to many types of electronics, too. A high quality smart phone’s camera isn’t that much worse than an expensive digital camera 15 years ago.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Re: Difference between current interfaces

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:50 pm

I feel like the money could be better spent elsewhere like good instruments, amps, plugins, mics, etc.
I think that goes without saying anyway.

The things that make the sounds are always more important than the things that just pass it along into a computer.

IMO the important things with interfaces are features and inputs/outputs. As long as the preamps aren't noisy, then they don't matter.
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:41 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:50 pm

I think that goes without saying anyway.

The things that make the sounds are always more important than the things that just pass it along into a computer.

IMO the important things with interfaces are features and inputs/outputs. As long as the preamps aren't noisy, then they don't matter.

True. Most people would rather hear Paul McCartney through a tin can than some amateur with a perfect set up. Unless you’re just not a fan of Paul.

But yeah, I think an interface would be last on my priority list when it comes to sound.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I totally agree.

I do use what is (for me) a high-dollar interface. But I didn't buy it because I thought that it had some magical properties that would make me sound awesome. I bought it for the routing options, the number of analog inputs and outputs, the digital connectivity, and the brand's reputation. I will admit that it does actually sound better than the entry-level interfaces that I've been playing with over the last few years, but the difference isn't night and day. What's the saying...it's evolutionary and not revolutionary.

Better converters means that I can make multiple trips in and out of the interface to outboard gear and not lose anything. Better preamps mean more articulate signals being captured (which isn't always necessarily a good thing). Better drivers means less frustration in operating the interface, better stability, and faster performance. There are definitely benefits to mid- and high-range interfaces.

But now that I've used the entry-level offerings from just about every major brand out there that offer 2x2 interfaces for $150 or less, I can definitely say this: if you can't make good sounding tracks and mixes on a $150 interface that's on the market today, then your problem isn't with the interface :) They are remarkable for the money.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:09 am But now that I've used the entry-level offerings from just about every major brand out there that offer 2x2 interfaces for $150 or less, I can definitely say this: if you can't make good sounding tracks and mixes on a $150 interface that's on the market today, then your problem isn't with the interface :) They are remarkable for the money.
Totally agree. I’m in photography and videography, and my philosophy is that if you can’t take a great picture with the newest smartphone, you’re not gonna get much better results with a nice DSLR.

The composition of the shot is like the quality of the tracking and how good the song itself sounds. The lighting, focus, and angle are like the mics, preamps, rack gear / plug-ins.

Everything else matters much more when it comes to audio than the job the interface does.