what to video/photo/write..

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

muttley

what to video/photo/write..

Post by muttley »

SO, we are moving on nicely with the imminent launch. Plenty of donkey work and leg work has been done and I'm looking to get some stuff sorted to get out there on the socials and you tubes etc when the launch comes around. Question for you guys..

Where do you do most of your gear research?

What sort of content would you like to see if you were just coming across the muttpups for the first time?

I am going to be doing some short videos and pics etc what to put in them? Its easy to do them but I dont want to waste time and effort on stuff that nobody would be interested in.
JD01

Re: what to video/photo/write..

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:44 pm Where do you do most of your gear research?
Aside from here - YouTube.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

If I just stumbled on to your stuff, I would like to see content that isn't focused on one thing. I'm way past being sick of the typical stupid youtube blues riff demos and/or metal demos. That's all everything is mostly - some tired blues shit or metal riffs where the gear doesn't matter that much anyway.

When showcasing your pickups, run them through a variety of playing styles and amps.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I typically do gear research on YouTube and Sweetwater's website. What I like about the Sweetwater site:
- large, clear, well-lit photos
- overview product description
- detailed product specs
- embedded YouTube video review on the product page (even though most of them are little more than adverts for the product)
- an accompanying YouTube channel that does have more in-depth product reviews

They've got a good setup going, and through their site I can find out a lot about a product that I'm interested in.

As far as videos, as long as the lighting and sound are good, I'm usually happy. Maybe make some "quickie" videos that are short and to the point, (maybe just voiceover the copy from the product page and string together some slow-mo slider "glamour" shots of the pickups and packaging, with some backing music recorded with a guitar sporting Mutt Pups) and then some long-form videos for us gear geeks that'll actually spend 20 or 30 minutes nerding out about how it's made, what it sounds like, how it compares to other similar products that we may already be familiar with, etc.

I'm no marketing guy, but this is the kind of stuff that I tend to see. And you can always send samples to hapless YouTubers and let them spend their precious time geeking out about the product and making videos about it. That sounds really familiar for some reason :D
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

The problem with pickups is going to be whether your audience is going to be able to get the thing you want them to get in a YouTube clip that has no comparison point. Now someone can say that the muttpups have more this, better that, but are people watching going to "feel" it?

I think it'd be useful to do a comparison - same guitar with stock pickups vs. muttpups so your target audience can hear the difference.

And you don't necessarily want people to just replace their stock pickups with muttpups - because the reaction still might be "why would I bother?" - but you could for instance do a vid about replacing that neck humbucker that they don't use anyway because it's too mellow (or whatever) with a P90 variant of yours that they might suddenly get some mileage out of. Stuff like that.

And short is good. Don't be wanking on for ages. And get someone with a decent voice without one of those weird English accents, of which there are many variations, to do any talking... :biggrin: