shifting your weight while playing

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
SweetDan

shifting your weight while playing

Post by SweetDan »

Do you shift your weight from side to side while playing? I've noticed I do, and I'm wondering if I should (or should not).

For example, consider quick 8th-note pickups to a down beat on kick (think the beat in Huey Lewis' "Heart of Rock And Roll", or maybe a Bossa Nova beat). It seems it's easier for me to play that pattern if I lean slightly to the left before or on the pickup, then lean slightly to the right coinciding with the down beat (and 3rd beat as well). It's like I'm dancing along with the tune. However, if I get into this habit, will it be harder to play faster doubles with the kick?
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
Greg_L

Re: shifting your weight while playing

Post by Greg_L »

I don't shift my weight, that I'm aware of. I just sit there and stay pretty balanced. And I don't know what you mean by "pickup".

I've never had lessons and far be it from me to teach anyone anything, but I'm gonna say that posture, comfort, and ergonomics are the most important parts of drumming. You don't want to struggle to do anything because of how you're sitting or how your drums are set up. There is no "right way" to do it, but there are ways that are better than others. If you can't relax and efficiently move around the kit you will stunt your development and maybe even possibly hurt yourself.

So I'd say no, don't move around too much. There's nothing to gain from it.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I think by 'pickup' he means like a pick up note or phrase that leads into a measure.

I'm gonna go with greg ..... do what feels right .

A drumber that moves around looks cool as long as you don't fall off your stool
Farview

Post by Farview »

It's much easier to do most things when you are balanced on the stool and don't shift your weight too much. If you get into that habit, it will keep you from doing some things. It may also slow you down.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I don’t shift too much but I know I do. I keep pretty balanced because if I’m not in the hats I’m almost always keeping tempo with my left foot on the hats. But I’ve noticed lots of times where I get goofy, but I never feel it, I just have seen in videos.