NGD

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: NGD

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:26 pm

There is no dead centre for any of the Fender colours, never has been. WJ's has elements of Hot Rod red in it, as does mine. Candy apple red was definitely not a metallic finish. Candy apples are not all the same colour either..;)
Fender basically had three versions of their "custom colors" - a solid, metallic, and pastel. Maybe today they call them different things, but candy apple red looks like a candy apple and Fender's version was considered part of the "metallic" option.

Candy apple red is candy apple red. It's candy, it's red, it has depth. It looks like a candy apple. Any other red is not candy apple red. It's just that simple.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

[mention]muttley[/mention] wasn't Fiesta Red the result of a bunch of Fenders being shipped to the UK and repainted? I thought I read that somewhere, that they were originally bursts or something and there was a big demand for red Fenders in the UK at the time, so they were repainted and came out a kinda odd shade of salmon instead of red.

Could just be myth/folklore.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:31 pm @muttley wasn't Fiesta Red the result of a bunch of Fenders being shipped to the UK and repainted? I thought I read that somewhere, that they were originally bursts or something and there was a big demand for red Fenders in the UK at the time, so they were repainted and came out a kinda odd shade of salmon instead of red.

Could just be myth/folklore.
I think it is a myth. There was a huge demand for red starts because of Hank Marvin but most all of the paints used back then were from auto suppliers and the little analysis that has been done suggests that quality control on colour was just not important. They would mix batches, top up guns without washing down. All sorts of things. I have seen thousands of vintage Fenders and the colour on all of them has an original and historic variance. Many have change simply because chemicals fade others because of light, others because they were never that colour to begin with. There is no standard colour swatch...
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:30 pm
muttley wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:26 pm

There is no dead centre for any of the Fender colours, never has been. WJ's has elements of Hot Rod red in it, as does mine. Candy apple red was definitely not a metallic finish. Candy apples are not all the same colour either..;)
Fender basically had three versions of their "custom colors" - a solid, metallic, and pastel. Maybe today they call them different things, but candy apple red looks like a candy apple and Fender's version was considered part of the "metallic" option.

Candy apple red is candy apple red. It's candy, it's red, it has depth. It looks like a candy apple. Any other red is not candy apple red. It's just that simple.
The original candy apple red was a translucent red over silver flake. They did it for a few years then labelled standard red as candy apple. As I say Fender have never had a dialed in colour swatch. I will grant you that mine is not candy apple red but what goes for candy apple red these days is nothing like the original either...
muttley

Post by muttley »

...I have just looked back at the pic I posted. It may not be clear. It is a metallic finish not solid colour. Shit phone I guess, wish I had never posted it...
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:52 pm

The original candy apple red was a translucent red over silver flake. They did it for a few years then labelled standard red as candy apple. As I say Fender have never had a dialed in colour swatch. I will grant you that mine is not candy apple red but what goes for candy apple red these days is nothing like the original either...
Yes, exactly. "Candy" anything is a translucent color over a metallic base and a deep deep gloss topcoat. I didn't know Fender started calling other reds "Candy Apple".
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:46 pm
muttley wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:52 pm

Yes, exactly. "Candy" anything is a translucent color over a metallic base and a deep deep gloss topcoat. I didn't know Fender started calling other reds "Candy Apple".
For years now, Fender have parceled off metallic rather than flake translucent as candy apple. That is especially true of the Asian models. They simply dont have the time budget or need to do a proper translucent finsih. Much easier to shoot a solid flake... A true candy apple is pretty rare on production guitars and a Jap Strat or a squier aint getting that love...
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Well don't i feel like a dildo. My bass is actually Candy Cola i just checked the receipt and it also says right on the end of the case.For all this time i have been calling it candy apple.

What an idiot. Don't mind me guys.

:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:33 pm Well don't i feel like a dildo. My bass is actually Candy Cola i just checked the receipt and it also says right on the end of the case.For all this time i have been calling it candy apple.

Lol. Your bass is candy though. You can tell from the pic. It's got a candy finish. It's not just a bland solid color. It has the candy look to it.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:33 pm Well don't i feel like a dildo. My bass is actually Candy Cola i just checked the receipt and it also says right on the end of the case.For all this time i have been calling it candy apple.

Thats because they are not allowed to use the trade name of the real thing..
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I always thought CAR was meant to be a deep lustrous shine and have noticed all sorts of things popping up labelled as CAR which are just R.

And on a related note, the reference to Candy Apple Red in this thread finally made me look up these Tom Waits lyrics to see WTF they were about. A 40 year mystery solved. :like:

Check this strange beverage that falls out from the sky, splashin' Bagdad on the Hudson in Panther Martin's eyes
He's high and outside wearin' candy apple red, Scarlet gave him twenty seven stitches in his head
With a pint of green chartreuse ain't nothin' seems right
ou buy the Sunday paper on a Saturday night.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Candy Apple Red started as an automotive hot rod finish in the 50s. Maybe even very late post-war 40s. I don't know who invented it, but it's roots are in American hot rod car culture. To this day candy finishes are still very popular. You can't go to an American car show and not see many bad ass candy paint jobs.

Confusion over what the color actually is still happens to this day in the car world. The very basic fact is that it has to look "candy" or it just isn't "candy apple" anything. I don't know when or why people have started calling anything red "candy apple red". I guess it sounds cool. Candy paint is a specific process and a specific result. It.Has.To.Look.Like.Candy. It's not metallic, it's not pearl, it's not flat or matte or just shiny. It's candy.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

The original candy apple finishes were done the same in the auto trade as in the early guitar trade. A translucent red over a flake base then build up with clear coat. Different things have been used for the flake base over the years. The deep shine comes from the translucent red and many many clear top coats. These days the flake is shot in a binder that is a high solvent lacquer with a lot of additives to help the flake stand up and disperse evenly, then the translucent is shot over to the desired colour. In the old days it was shot dry over a wet coat. It was and is an art to get it consistent across a whole car...

These days a lot of automotive body shops shoot fake candy which is flake in the colour or flake on the colour and then clear coat. Thats the way most guitar candy finishes are done. Easier and quicker on production runs.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I see you ascribe to the Greg_L holding your phone wrong school of filmmaking! :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:07 pm I see you ascribe to the Greg_L holding your phone wrong school of filmmaking! :D
I'm a pre-millennial Gen X'er with no social media. I use my phone as a phone and not much more.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:07 pm I see you ascribe to the Greg_L holding your phone wrong school of filmmaking! :D
Baby steps... :biggrin:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Really fun fact about this dumpster piece of shit Squire:

I dug it out of the gig bag for this first time since probably February and the thing was still perfectly in tune save for the b string being ever so slightly out of tune. All the other strings were bang on.

Amazing.
:happytrees:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

I got this small instrument from Bali, Indonesia. Ya know the one where you pluck the tongs with your thumb? It sounds neat. I might use it on an upcoming song.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:30 am Candy Apple Red started as an automotive hot rod finish in the 50s. Maybe even very late post-war 40s. I don't know who invented it, but it's roots are in American hot rod car culture. To this day candy finishes are still very popular. You can't go to an American car show and not see many bad ass candy paint jobs.

Confusion over what the color actually is still happens to this day in the car world. The very basic fact is that it has to look "candy" or it just isn't "candy apple" anything. I don't know when or why people have started calling anything red "candy apple red". I guess it sounds cool. Candy paint is a specific process and a specific result. It.Has.To.Look.Like.Candy. It's not metallic, it's not pearl, it's not flat or matte or just shiny. It's candy.
I used to build model cars and I almost always sprayed them a 'candy' something but that could be a candy green or blue.
I always preferred copper as the undercoat ..... richer than gold ..... and silver never impressed me .... always gold or copper underneath.

Candy is just 'candy' ..... not really connected to red although that's the one that most people have heard of so they think all candy is red ...... it's not.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:11 pm

Candy is just 'candy' ..... not really connected to red although that's the one that most people have heard of so they think all candy is red ...... it's not.
Right. You could have "candy" anything.
Rebel Yell