Wiring

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

JD01

Re: Wiring

Post by JD01 »

Mutt, how you getting on with this? Are you just swamped with house build shit?
Not a massive rush - I just want it for my recording challenge #3 song... I have a few things to work on before I get there though.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Sorry mate, missed your last post and yes I've been stupidly distracted recently. I will get on to it this week.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:05 pm Sorry mate, missed your last post and yes I've been stupidly distracted recently. I will get on to it this week.
Great. Cheers. I know exactly how stressful a house build is so get onto it when you have the time to do it.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:33 pm
muttley wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:05 pm Sorry mate, missed your last post and yes I've been stupidly distracted recently. I will get on to it this week.
Great. Cheers. I know exactly how stressful a house build is so get onto it when you have the time to do it.
Oh its that and a bunch of other shit. Not least one of our Mutts is quite seriously not well...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:44 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:33 pm
Oh its that and a bunch of other shit. Not least one of our Mutts is quite seriously not well...
Ah, that's shite mate. Hope they both recover and don't bankrupt you in the process.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Mate, sorry this has taken longer than anticipated. I have a nice wind recipe sorted now and will be putting them on the plates this week. Can you send me a few pics of the guitar and cavities so I can make sure I get the minimum number of connects left for you to do...

Delay has been down to building work, sick dogs and not having a solid internet and power in the place for a few weeks...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:43 am Mate, sorry this has taken longer than anticipated. I have a nice wind recipe sorted now and will be putting them on the plates this week. Can you send me a few pics of the guitar and cavities so I can make sure I get the minimum number of connects left for you to do...

Delay has been down to building work, sick dogs and not having a solid internet and power in the place for a few weeks...
That's alright, mate. While I'm vaguely missing the Telecaster I was more worried that something serious was up with you! I know exactly how stressful and time consuming just managing a builder and not having full access to your own home is.

If you could get me solder free connections I'd be very grateful! You know, the little ones you can just clip together!

I'll take a snap of the cavity and pop it up here either when I get home tonight or in the morning as I'm working from home tomorrow.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Nah I'm good mate just as you know managing life with intermittent power and no roof can be a PITA. The dog is on the mend as well...

I intend to try and hook up as few connections as possible and will try and put some spade connectors on the few we have. I will leave a little over in case you ever want to get it to a guitar tech and have it soldered up properly. Hopefully all should work ok though.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:47 am Nah I'm good mate just as you know managing life with intermittent power and no roof can be a PITA. The dog is on the mend as well...

I intend to try and hook up as few connections as possible and will try and put some spade connectors on the few we have. I will leave a little over in case you ever want to get it to a guitar tech and have it soldered up properly. Hopefully all should work ok though.
Cool - I don't know if you noticed on the old wiring that I sent through that there's these funny looking jagged rings in amongst the wiring - I think there's three of them in all. Basically - they appear to be the earths - one in each cavity - bridge pup cavity, neck pup cavity and control cavity. They were just screwed to the base of the cavity. It appears that they worked pretty well 'cos the guitar was quite quiet.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Thats what they are. The wiring looms are assembled with them and Fender leave them on regardless of whether they attach to ground or not. I installed some pups in a Jaguar recently that had one floating about and causing all sorts of problems for the guy. I will send you some heat shrink wrap for the connections and any of those ground tails that are not being connected to earth.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool - I do plan on screwing them all back into place as the guitar was working pretty well before I took it apart.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Also - I'm considering changing to a tortoiseshell pick guard? They tend to look pretty nice on white guitars.
When do you need to know buy - what me to order it and get it delivered to you? Or could just do this yourself?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Here you go, Mutt. You can see a screw hole in the black areas in each of the cavities.
empty tele.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muttley

Post by muttley »

I can have a look around for a tortoise shell pickguard. Be aware that they are not all equal and you have to find one that matches the existing fixing holes and routes. Can you give me the exact model and year? That maybe easier than me ordering blind against the one here..
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Serial MZ9496809
Your guitar was made at the
Ensenada Plant (Fender), Mexico
in 2009 - 2010
Production Number: 496809

Its just a standard Telecaster. If you could find a nice 3 ply pick guard like this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Telecaster-8 ... nhH4dH1Qzg for about 10 or 15 quid that would be nice.
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Hmmmmm...tortoiseshell...

Endangered species?

Doesn't sound like JD
JD01

Post by JD01 »

einstein magoo wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:32 pm Hmmmmm...tortoiseshell...

Endangered species?

Doesn't sound like JD
I was thinking of getting an ivory nut too.. Then maybe crocodile whiskers for strings.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

einstein magoo wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:32 pm Hmmmmm...tortoiseshell...

Endangered species?

Doesn't sound like JD
Lol. JD is only environmentally conscious when it applies to other people. :biggrin:
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Ok, I will order one up and and make check that the screw holes all line up against the existing. Thats isnt always the case. Ive had a rummage around my parts bin and I dont have a tortoise shell one to match just a pearloid one.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Thanks mate - just occurred to me when you said you were back up and running that I whenever I see tortoiseshell on a slightly off-white tele I always think it looks nice.