New Computer Parts Day

General recording topics.
ocnor

New Computer Parts Day

Post by ocnor »

computer parts.jpg
I'll be rebuilding my computer in the next few days. So if you don't hear from me you'll know that I fucked something up Lol!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Lt. Bob

Re: New Computer Parts Day

Post by Lt. Bob »

what is all that stuff?
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Gigabyte AB350 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G processor, 32 Gig GSkill DDR4-3000 ram, Kingston A1000 240 Gig NVME solid state hard drive.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I don't know what any of that is or does, but you seem happy about it, so fuck yeah!
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Nice choices all around! That'll make a great setup.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

ocnor wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:25 pm Gigabyte AB350 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G processor, 32 Gig GSkill DDR4-3000 ram, Kingston A1000 240 Gig NVME solid state hard drive.
Wooaaa! Nope!

Some poor choices there!

That is the exact build that I tried to put together in December that bricked me for a month!

1) That CPU needs a video card before it can post
2) That Motherboard requires a BIOS update before it it's compatible with that CPU. (so before you can boot up that combination, you need to boot with a different CPU and perform the update)
3) Gigabytes customer support is garbage, and they can't tell you any of that.

Seriously, don't buy gigabyte.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Did you order from Newegg? I even wrote a review!
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:49 pm
ocnor wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:25 pm Gigabyte AB350 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G processor, 32 Gig GSkill DDR4-3000 ram, Kingston A1000 240 Gig NVME solid state hard drive.
Wooaaa! Nope!

Some poor choices there!

That is the exact build that I tried to put together in December that bricked me for a month!

2) That Motherboard requires a BIOS update before it it's compatible with that CPU. (so before you can boot up that combination, you need to boot with a different CPU and perform the update)

I don't know why you had so many problems. You must have gotten an outdated version of the motherboard with the old bios. I got this sucker up and running in less than an hour and it's blazing fast. That was probably the easiest computer build that I've ever done. [And I've built quite a few] Maybe I am a wizard Lol!
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Nice! I love upgrades.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

When I built my computer, it all worked perfectly except gaming. When I tried to play a game, I’d play for like 10 seconds, and then the screen would freeze and there would be a BSoD.

Took me forever to find out what it was. It was the god damn south bridge. The only way I can game on that is if I connect my hard drive via USB rather than directly to the motherboard.

By the time I actually figured it out, it was way to late to return the parts. I was pissed.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

ocnor wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:25 pm I don't know why you had so many problems. You must have gotten an outdated version of the motherboard with the old bios. I got this sucker up and running in less than an hour and it's blazing fast. That was probably the easiest computer build that I've ever done. [And I've built quite a few] Maybe I am a wizard Lol!
Yeah I think they put a sticker on the motherboard box that shows that it shipped with the updated BIOS version already installed on the board. That did bite a lot of people though, there was much outrage when the 2nd gen Ryzen chips started shipping and nobody's motherboard could support them.

I am not, however, denying the possibility that you are an wizard :D
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

ocnor wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:25 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:49 pm

Wooaaa! Nope!

Some poor choices there!

I don't know why you had so many problems. You must have gotten an outdated version of the motherboard with the old bios. I got this sucker up and running in less than an hour and it's blazing fast. That was probably the easiest computer build that I've ever done. [And I've built quite a few] Maybe I am a wizard Lol!
I mean, yes, the bios being out of date was definitely the problem. The fact that they were still selling them with outdated bioses 2 years after the fact is what pissed me off about it!