Recording challenge #2 (Theme Song Cover)

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
Bubba

Re: Recording challenge #2

Post by Bubba »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:28 pm
As for my own submission, it's going to be a couple of months before I can get to it. I dismantled most of my studio yesterday in preparation to have open houses next weekend. So I'm going to be guitarless/bassless/MIDIless/micless until I get set up in the new house. I already miss all of my gear, and it's only been a day.
What the hell? You LITERALLY only just moved house! Is the CIA after you?
Haggard Musician :mad:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:45 am What the hell? You LITERALLY only just moved house! Is the CIA after you?
They'll never take me alive!!!

Yeah, as of today we've been in this house just a few days over 2 years. This move has been a whirlwind. It was kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing. My wife is very unhappy with her commute to work (she changed jobs since we moved into this house) and the new house's location cuts her commute in half. 2 weeks ago we weren't even looking to move, but she found this place and by the end of that week we were under contract, pre-approved for a loan, and making preparations to sell our current place. Kinda makes my head spin!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:14 am
Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:45 am What the hell? You LITERALLY only just moved house! Is the CIA after you?
They'll never take me alive!!!

Yeah, as of today we've been in this house just a few days over 2 years. This move has been a whirlwind. It was kind of a spur-of-the-moment thing. My wife is very unhappy with her commute to work (she changed jobs since we moved into this house) and the new house's location cuts her commute in half. 2 weeks ago we weren't even looking to move, but she found this place and by the end of that week we were under contract, pre-approved for a loan, and making preparations to sell our current place. Kinda makes my head spin!
Happy Wife happy life they say. My Mrs Has put the heat on me for an ETA to get out of Alberta. She wants to move home to be closer to family so i need to start considering all that. It is also making my head spin.

Congrats on the new house though Tad.
:happytrees:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:28 pm
LOL good one, Turtle :D

As for my own submission, it's going to be a couple of months before I can get to it. I dismantled most of my studio yesterday in preparation to have open houses next weekend. So I'm going to be guitarless/bassless/MIDIless/micless until I get set up in the new house. I already miss all of my gear, and it's only been a day.
Thanks. Hope all goes well, moving(the physical act of it) can be drag.
Minerman wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:20 pm
Cool man, especially the vocals!!! Definitely a classic funny movie too...Good job!!! :minernuggs:
Thanks Miner!
JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:11 am
Just got around to listening to this properly at home.
Its a really excellent recording - great vocal.

Not familiar with the film or the song - but it sounds good.
Thanks JD, you should check out the movie some time. It is hilarious and a classic.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Alright, here is mine.

This was pretty fun finding sounds for this. I ended up using my midi keyboard for the piano sounds but I couldnt get it to work like a regular keyboard, like the note definition was weird, so ended up comping the fuck out of it, which I typically dont like to do. The string/synth sounding line that accompanies it is a guitar. I even busted out my bell kit(mini xylophone thing) :punk:

I intended to learn the "solo" melody part for the bridge, but as it turns out I'm not a good enough guitar player to learn by ear, ao I played something else. I even found a video of a dude doing a metal version but I still couldnt figure out wtf he was playing :spacepalm:

It took for fucking ever to track to main guitar lick, its pretty easy actually but playing it a million times in a row is deceptively hard. My wife said she thought I was playing some creepy shit and I told her she was totally right!

I used the original as my guide track to play the drums to then built it all from there. 6 guitar tracks, 1 keyboard track, 1 bells track and 7 drum tracks. I had to do a lot of copying of tracks to add the effects to the drums and fucking around with eq and shit, like the intor is two different parts cut and pasted in in reverse.

Anyways, this was really fun.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gk2aa2gqldojz ... r.mp3?dl=0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:00 pm Alright, here is mine.

This was pretty fun finding sounds for this. I ended up using my midi keyboard for the piano sounds but I couldnt get it to work like a regular keyboard, like the note definition was weird, so ended up comping the fuck out of it, which I typically dont like to do. The string/synth sounding line that accompanies it is a guitar. I even busted out my bell kit(mini xylophone thing) :punk:

I intended to learn the "solo" melody part for the bridge, but as it turns out I'm not a good enough guitar player to learn by ear, ao I played something else. I even found a video of a dude doing a metal version but I still couldnt figure out wtf he was playing :spacepalm:

It took for fucking ever to track to main guitar lick, its pretty easy actually but playing it a million times in a row is deceptively hard. My wife said she thought I was playing some creepy shit and I told her she was totally right!

I used the original as my guide track to play the drums to then built it all from there. 6 guitar tracks, 1 keyboard track, 1 bells track and 7 drum tracks. I had to do a lot of copying of tracks to add the effects to the drums and fucking around with eq and shit, like the intor is two different parts cut and pasted in in reverse.

Man that's great liver! I'd forgotten all about that show and it's a good job on a cool choice to cover. Well done. :)
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:33 pm

Man that's great liver! I'd forgotten all about that show and it's a good job on a cool choice to cover. Well done. :)
Thanks man! I spent way too much time mixing it, trying to get the sound of the reverb on the drums just right. There are like 3 different reverb types on different tracks haha. I got close enough.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I had to put this one on the YouTube

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/6yIDxedjaW8[/BBvideo]
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I used the original as my guide track to play the drums to then built it all from there. 6 guitar tracks, 1 keyboard track, 1 bells track and 7 drum tracks. I had to do a lot of copying of tracks to add the effects to the drums and fucking around with eq and shit, like the intor is two different parts cut and pasted in in reverse.https://therecordingrebels.com/viewtopi ... 12&p=59126#

That. Is. Awesome. Bravo man. I can't even start to pick it apart mix wise because all the pieces combined for an end result to be that song impresses me to no end. Good job man. That was freaking enjoyable.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

[mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] dude, thanks so much man, it means a lot!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Never heard of the show or the theme tune, but this sounds Great, Liv.
rayc

Post by rayc »

liv - cool as!
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Very cool Liv. Always loved that theme. Good work man.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Thanks guys!
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Remix of mine, without a plugin called Grow on the main mix.

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:17 amcool as!

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cPs2SzShNc[/BBvideo]

Hands down my all time favorite web series. And there was talk of a thrid season coming sometime in 2019 and i really hope it happens becasue i love every friggin episode of this show.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:13 am Never heard of the show or the theme tune, but this sounds Great, Liv.
:punk:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnOeIFx3ML8[/BBvideo]
rayc

Post by rayc »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:28 pm
rayc wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:17 amcool as!

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cPs2SzShNc[/BBvideo]

Hands down my all time favorite web series. And there was talk of a thrid season coming sometime in 2019 and i really hope it happens becasue i love every friggin episode of this show.
Even better than Happy Happy Tree Friends, Brah.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:53 pm Even better than Happy Happy Tree Friends, Brah.
LOOOL. I've not seen this show. I am going ot have to watch a few. Seems to be right up my alley.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

I didn't pick this one, but now that I remembered it, I wish I would have:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ItgwngqVNw[/BBvideo]
(cool that you get to see the show's musicians in this video clip too)
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂