Recording challenge #2 (Theme Song Cover)

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
Greg_L

Recording challenge #2 (Theme Song Cover)

Post by Greg_L »

Since no one stepped up with a new challenge....I'll propose another.

Record a cover of a TV or movie title/theme song, or a song that's part of a TV show or movie. Any song, any way you want.

Okay, now go.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Recording challenge #2

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Good one Greg. I got an idea for one i had been on the fence about but this might be the best opportunity to go at it.

Re: no one stepped up.

Should this is be a somewhat regular thing. if yes how regular? Or just keep it random as it has been?
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:51 pm Good one Greg. I got an idea for one i had been on the fence about but this might be the best opportunity to go at it.

Should this is be a somewhat regular thing. if yes how regular? Or just keep it random as it has been?
Well I'm not trying to be the guy that launches these things, but I figured the last one went pretty well, and no one threw out another, so I figured what the hell. Whoever wants dibs on the next one can have it.

It can be as regular as we want it to be. When one runs it's course, someone start another. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:00 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:51 pm Good one Greg. I got an idea for one i had been on the fence about but this might be the best opportunity to go at it.

Well I'm not trying to be the guy that launches these things, but I figured the last one went pretty well, and no one threw out another, so I figured what the hell. Whoever wants dibs on the next one can have it.

It can be as regular as we want it to be. When one runs it's course, someone start another. :coolstorybro:
Fair enough. I like it. on the one hand it would be cool to do a monthly thing but on the other i'd be lying if i said i could commit to that personally.

i don't want it to be a chore for anyone. I am in favor of the "fire at random" approach.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ok i picked my song. last night i figured out all the chords and arrangements and got a foundation half assed built. The unfortunate part is that the original version is in a key that i know is unkind to me so i am going to scratch track some guitars in different keys tomorrow and pick one and get this going. Also need to get creative and find a few ways to spruce it up and make sure it translates over to snotty rock.

[mention]Greg_L[/mention] how much liberty can we take with the structure? does it have to be 100% the same at it's core or can i chop out a bit that could be a bit repetitive and odd? it's like two bars really?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:13 pm Ok i picked my song. last night i figured out all the chords and arrangements and got a foundation half assed built. The unfortunate part is that the original version is in a key that i know is unkind to me so i am going to scratch track some guitars in different keys tomorrow and pick one and get this going. Also need to get creative and find a few ways to spruce it up and make sure it translates over to snotty rock.

@Greg_L how much liberty can we take with the structure? does it have to be 100% the same at it's core or can i chop out a bit that could be a bit repetitive and odd? it's like two bars really?
Hell do whatever you want. I guess just make it at least similar enough to the original that someone can go "yeah, I know what that is". Make it identifiable but it doesn't have to note for note perfect.

I just picked mine this morning. I think I'm gonna have to change the key or downtune a half step or so.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:08 pm someone can go "yeah, I know what that is". Make it identifiable but it doesn't have to note for note perfect.
Dammit. i'll have to post the original up too then. mine is from an old Canadian TV series from the late 70's :lollers: [mention]ido1957[/mention] will be about the only one who will recognize it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:39 pm

Dammit. i'll have to post the original up too then. mine is from an old Canadian TV series from the late 70's :lollers: @ido1957 will be about the only one who will recognize it.
Lol that's okay. I expected not everyone would know all the choices. Putting up our chosen originals is probably a good idea.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

This will be tough for me since I dont sing. I'm gonna have to dig for some instrumentals. And also learn how to play music that isnt mine, so basically I have to learn how to be a musician! This will be fun.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I think I figured it out already.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:31 pm I think I figured it out already.
is it wrong i am sort of excited for yours the most. :like: :like: :like:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:31 pm
liv_rong wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:31 pm I think I figured it out already.
is it wrong i am sort of excited for yours the most. :like: :like: :like:
:spacepalm: :facepalm2: :like:

lol, I dont know if its wrong or right, but I am flattered. I just hope someone rocks out Magnum PI! Mine came to me instantly as I was about to go poop right after posting. The song is totally my style too! It'll be so obvious once you guys here it. Now Im searching stuff and there is actually a lot of cool material out there.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Well, fuck. I learned one part pretty easy, then quickly realized, by finding someone else’s cover of this, that the second guitar would need to be tuned down to C. So now I gotta decide if I do that or just use keys for that part. I imagine mine will now take longer than I originally though. I guess there’s plenty of time though, it’s been like 4 months since the last challenge started.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Dont sweat it [mention]liv_rong[/mention] i am going to give myself two weeks to do mine. It takes what it takes. Itll be cool weather it takes a weekend or week. Whatever.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Great idea & I look forward to hearing the results but I don't sing & can't play melodically at all - perhaps I can find a theme song that's ALL powerchords and cowboy bass patterns.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:13 am Great idea & I look forward to hearing the results but I don't sing & can't play melodically at all - perhaps I can find a theme song that's ALL powerchords and cowboy bass patterns.
Ray if it makes you feel any better i cant sing and remain in pitch worth a shit and im taking a sterile 70s theme song and power chording it. People will think it blasphemous bit i dont much care.

Wont you join me?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

There are tons of instrumental movie/tv theme songs out there. You non-singers don't have to worry about it. Just do whatever you want the way you want!

I've changed mine already. Actually, I might do two. Both are from around the same time period.
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

I am in. Trying to find the right one right now.

Keep changing my mind though.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've got a couple of ideas for mine.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

[mention]Greg_L[/mention] [mention]JD01[/mention] [mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] [mention]rayc[/mention] [mention]musicturtle[/mention] [mention]liv_rong[/mention]

Is there a deadline for this dudes???
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs: