Recording challenge #2 (Theme Song Cover)

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
Greg_L

Re: Recording challenge #2

Post by Greg_L »

Okay here's one more.

This was a cute little movie from like 1995 or something. Good movie.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajNTIkl ... CU&index=2[/BBvideo]

And here's my shit version. I had to drop it half a step just to sing it badly. There's no way it was happening in it's original key. :lollers2:
That Thing You Do.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

That's REALLY cool Greg - for a start it's a coolish faux power pop/British Invasion song and WOW is sounds so much better sped up & dropped down.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:16 am That's REALLY cool Greg - for a start it's a coolish faux power pop/British Invasion song and WOW is sounds so much better sped up & dropped down.
Thanks Ray. I didn't mean to speed it up that much, it just sort of happened that way.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I won’t be able to listen until later, but hell yeah! That’s a good cheesy movie! The Oneders!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:43 am Okay here's one more.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajNTIkl ... CU&index=2[/BBvideo]

And here's my shit version. I had to drop it half a step just to sing it badly. There's no way it was happening in it's original key. :lollers2:
That Thing You Do.mp3
That was awesome dude !!! I LOVE that tone of that guitar lead solo thing. that is just perfect. I wanna say it is the Hallmark but i am likely very wrong. regardless is sounds really good. Good song choice very fun. I am showing my wife later she loves this jam! I may have to pick your brain later on how you tackle your back ups and stuff. I like how they pop but also sit in the back still.

:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :like:
:happytrees:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

That Thing You Do.mp3
Cool Greg. I really like that movie. The song is quite the earworm. The drummer speeds it up in the movie and so do you...nice.

Backing vox sound great. And of course the drums and gtr as always.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:40 am I won’t be able to listen until later, but hell yeah! That’s a good cheesy movie! The Oneders!
Love that...such a play on the Beat-les.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

That Thing You Do.mp3
That's awesome. I love that movie and tune. I've been kicking around adding "Dance With Me Tonight" to my band's set because it's such a great tune.

Hopefully I will have mine done in a month or so. I don't want to rush myself. :lollers2:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

[mention]Greg_L[/mention] awesome! Nice work to an old guilty pleasure favorite of mine!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

[mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] [mention]musicturtle[/mention] [mention]Bill L[/mention] [mention]liv_rong[/mention]

Thanks dudes!
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

The Oh Nee Ders!

This is in my dad's top 10 movies. He likes to watch it whenever it randomly appears on some channel he's browsing.

Sounds good!
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:56 pm The Oh Nee Ders!

This is in my dad's top 10 movies. He likes to watch it whenever it randomly appears on some channel he's browsing.

Sounds good!
Ha thanks. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Just got around to listening to this, Greg.
Sounds great again!

Its got that part parody/reverence for naff 50s dance hall music nailed again!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:13 am Just got around to listening to this, Greg.
Sounds great again!

Lol thanks. That was probably one of the hardest songs I've ever had to sing. Ever.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:46 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:13 am Just got around to listening to this, Greg.
Sounds great again!

Lol thanks. That was probably one of the hardest songs I've ever had to sing. Ever.
Yeah - there were a few parts in there where it sounded like you were at your limit... but its punk rock, not musical theatre.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:52 am
Yeah - there were a few parts in there where it sounded like you were at your limit... but its punk rock, not musical theatre.
Yeah, I was pretty much at max without just outright shouting. The range of it was tough. I know I don't sing great, and I knew I had to drop it a little, but I didn't think it would be that tough. Props to whoever sang on the original.
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:03 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:52 am
Yeah, I was pretty much at max without just outright shouting. The range of it was tough. I know I don't sing great, and I knew I had to drop it a little, but I didn't think it would be that tough. Props to whoever sang on the original.
You pulled it off quite well. You are right, it is not an easy song to sing. The second part of the verses really climbs the ladder a bit.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

musicturtle wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:53 pm

You pulled it off quite well. You are right, it is not an easy song to sing. The second part of the verses really climbs the ladder a bit.
Thanks, yeah it goes up. The highs were near my limit, but the going from low to high and keeping it somewhat in the right key was the hard part. Once I was up there I could keep it going.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:56 pm
musicturtle wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:53 pm

Thanks, yeah it goes up. The highs were near my limit, but the going from low to high and keeping it somewhat in the right key was the hard part. Once I was up there I could keep it going.
Aside from my narrow range the thing I find hardest is always dropping down to notes, I always overshoot, go flat, then have to come up.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Lucy is bossy...can she bossa?
bossaLucy_roughMix2.mp3
It's rough, but I've been putting this together for the past few weeks. I do plan to re-track the lead; a few more weeks of careful practice and I ought to be able to nail that descending line of triplets. I've attached the "backing track" - everything except the lead line - should anyone want to play along. :)
bossaLucy_roughMix2_backingTrack.mp3
One thing I wonder is how to get a better kick drum sound at the source for this tune and style. I know (after learning a bit in this other thread) it's probably mostly how the drum is tuned and even more how it's played (I'm even playing heel-up here, but at the same time I'm not trying to go for a "rock drums" sound...that would be too much). Still, I'd like to get more punchy "thud" and a bit of "thwack", and whatever I'm doing now has way too much "whomp". Suggestions?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂