Recording challenge #2 (Theme Song Cover)

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
Greg_L

Re: Recording challenge #2

Post by Greg_L »

SweetDan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:59 am Lucy is bossy...can she bossa?

bossaLucy_roughMix2.mp3

It's rough, but I've been putting this together for the past few weeks. I do plan to re-track the lead; a few more weeks of careful practice and I ought to be able to nail that descending line of triplets. I've attached the "backing track" - everything except the lead line - should anyone want to play along. :)

bossaLucy_roughMix2_backingTrack.mp3

One thing I wonder is how to get a better kick drum sound at the source for this tune and style. I know (after learning a bit in this other thread) it's probably mostly how the drum is tuned and even more how it's played (I'm even playing heel-up here, but at the same time I'm not trying to go for a "rock drums" sound...that would be too much). Still, I'd like to get more punchy "thud" and a bit of "thwack", and whatever I'm doing now has way too much "whomp". Suggestions?
Wow! Great choice! Man dude that had to be hard. Sounds tough. I've always wanted to do a surfabilly version of that song but I really don't think I can play it. :facepalm: :frown:

It's a little loose but I applaud you on the drums. You got a very nice cross-stick sound.

As for the kick, yeah it's "fluffy". It could use more attack. What kind of muffling are you using inside the drum? I think you should start there. The kick drum needs to sound close to how you want it to sound in the recording. Not exact, but it needs to be close so you can bring out whatever you need in the mix. Tuning and muffling is like 80% of it. The rest is mic placement and mixing. If it's not getting there by itself, it's gonna be really hard to find it in a mix.
Rebel Yell
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:22 am Wow! Great choice! Man dude that had to be hard. Sounds tough. I've always wanted to do a surfabilly version of that song but I really don't think I can play it. :facepalm: :frown:

It's a little loose but I applaud you on the drums. You got a very nice cross-stick sound.

As for the kick, yeah it's "fluffy". It could use more attack. What kind of muffling are you using inside the drum? I think you should start there. The kick drum needs to sound close to how you want it to sound in the recording. Not exact, but it needs to be close so you can bring out whatever you need in the mix. Tuning and muffling is like 80% of it. The rest is mic placement and mixing. If it's not getting there by itself, it's gonna be really hard to find it in a mix.
Thanks!

I'm using a big beach towel for muffling. It's loosely folded over the long way a couple of times, then laid down in sort of a U-shape inside the kick so it touches both the batter and reso heads. It probably covers a couple inches up each head and a foot or more sideways, but since it's a towel and floppy, it's not pressing firmly up against the heads.

For mics I've got: (1) an SM57 overhead that's 2 drumstick-lengths above and pointed at the snare, but off to the right a few inches, and (2) a Sennheiser e602 on the kick about an inch or two inside an offset cutout in the reso head and pointed in the direction of the beater.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

SweetDan wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:53 am

Thanks!

I'm using a big beach towel for muffling. It's loosely folded over the long way a couple of times, then laid down in sort of a U-shape inside the kick so it touches both the batter and reso heads. It probably covers a couple inches up each head and a foot or more sideways, but since it's a towel and floppy, it's not pressing firmly up against the heads.

For mics I've got: (1) an SM57 overhead that's 2 drumstick-lengths above and pointed at the snare, but off to the right a few inches, and (2) a Sennheiser e602 on the kick about an inch or two inside an offset cutout in the reso head and pointed in the direction of the beater.
Ok. If you're using just two mics, you can get creative. There is no set way to do it.

Since the kick is the biggest problem, use both mics to help the kick.

If it were me, I'd try the overhead behind me, pointing towards the snare and kick beater. It'll get all the usual stuff, plus maybe some beater slap.
Then with the inside kick mic, move it farther into the drum.

As for the muffling, use something more stable, or just wad the towel up mostly against the batter head.
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

bossaLucy_roughMix2.mp3

It's rough, but I've been putting this together for the past few weeks. I do plan to re-track the lead; a few more weeks of careful practice and I ought to be able to nail that descending line of triplets. I've attached the "backing track" - everything except the lead line - should anyone want to play along. :)

One thing I wonder is how to get a better kick drum sound at the source for this tune and style. I know (after learning a bit in this other thread) it's probably mostly how the drum is tuned and even more how it's played (I'm even playing heel-up here, but at the same time I'm not trying to go for a "rock drums" sound...that would be too much). Still, I'd like to get more punchy "thud" and a bit of "thwack", and whatever I'm doing now has way too much "whomp". Suggestions?
Nice work Dan. I agree with Greg, tough tune to pull off. I know next to nothing about recording drums but to me the cymbal crashes are way too forward in the mix. I really like the rim shot sound as well as the bass and guitar. Fun song, good choice.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

bossaLucy_roughMix2.mp3

I've been meaning to listen to this for like two weeks but every time I'm at my computer I forget then see it again when Im on my phone, sorry! Dude, nice! Nice drumming too!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've not forgotten about this... and I've just changed my mind about what song I'm gonna do to something even more obscure than my original choice... but will be easier for me to get done as I can do it more within my usual style.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:58 am I've not forgotten about this... and I've just changed my mind about what song I'm gonna do to something even more obscure than my original choice... but will be easier for me to get done as I can do it more within my usual style.
:like: :like: Awesome.

Mine is still brewing. It is going to be done though. Vocals left and some noodling but i need the house to myself for a day to do the noodly bits. NO one really seemed to pick up the flubs on the one guitar track so i may just see if i can push it through to the final mix and have it buried. Worst case i re-record it at the end.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:58 am I've not forgotten about this... and I've just changed my mind about what song I'm gonna do to something even more obscure than my original choice... but will be easier for me to get done as I can do it more within my usual style.
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:59 pm :like: :like: Awesome.

Mine is still brewing. It is going to be done though. Vocals left and some noodling but i need the house to myself for a day to do the noodly bits. NO one really seemed to pick up the flubs on the one guitar track so i may just see if i can push it through to the final mix and have it buried. Worst case i re-record it at the end.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:40 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:59 pm :like: :like: Awesome.

Life, etc.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

ITS GETTING MIXED!!! I SWEAR! I FIXED ALL MY DUMB OVERDUBS LAST NIGHT :spacepalm:

SWEAR TO GOD. haha.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:46 am ITS GETTING MIXED!!! I SWEAR! I FIXED ALL MY DUMB OVERDUBS LAST NIGHT :spacepalm:

SWEAR TO GOD. haha.
I haven't even decided on my song yet! I thought I had, then I changed my mind, now I'm not sure again.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ok, Well i think it this is it. I am marginally happy with this. A few isseus i want ot adress for myself but but i am sort of sick of listening to it so now it's all yours.

20190807 MaybeTomorrowRecCha2Mix8.mp3
Here is the original version.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFGtRKx4ypY[/BBvideo]

Theme song from "The Littlest Hobo". An ancient old show that used to be on CBC all the time (and incidentally also in the UK as [mention]JD01[/mention] guessed it pretty much immediately as i was explaining it to him so that made it a bit more fun for me) when i was kid, about this dog that ran around helping people out and saving the day. It was also my moms favorite show in her youth. She has an "autographed" picture of the all the puppies that would go onto to portray the hobo. It was really cool but also one of her one and only treasures that we all admired from a distance growing up.

I choose this one for a whole schwack of reasons. But mostly just a little something for my mom, a little something for all my surveying family friends that are endlessly roaming northern Canada away from home for weeks and weeks on end, and a little something for every band i was ever in that would talk mad shit about punking this song up but yet never doing it. There. I did it. And it's just the way i wanted it. LOL @ all those idiots.

I shyed away from the synths cause i think think they are dumb. But the song was really boring with out it so i tried to fill in the gaps with guitar leads and that sounded way dumber, so i instead i just put my big boy back up pants on and filled in the sonic gaps with layers of backing vocals and i think it worked out pretty good.

Anyways Enjoy. Sorry i took so long. :frown:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Also this is not mastered or anything so if any one would like to take a kick at mastering it i would be up for it. Full credit when i upload to sound cloud as well. if not whatever.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:53 pm Ok, Well i think it this is it. I am marginally happy with this. A few isseus i want ot adress for myself but but i am sort of sick of listening to it so now it's all yours.

20190807 MaybeTomorrowRecCha2Mix8.mp3

Anyways Enjoy. Sorry i took so long. :frown:
Hahahah this is bad ass! I love it. Very well done

I don't know the show. Seems pretty sweet. I can tell though that anyone that knows the show would recognize your song. That's pretty awesome.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

[mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] nice, dude :D

It sounds great to me, man! I don't know the show either, but my dog threw a fit just over the picture of this dog. I can only imagine he's even more impressive in motion :D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Was funny, me and Shan were chatting a couple of months ago and he was trying to describe the show to me and I said "Oh, you mean The Littlest Hobo? I used to love that as a kid!" If I'd have thought of it first (and had the time to get around to it) I'd have probably done it myself!
rayc

Post by rayc »

I LOVED that show as a squid.
I also love the version done Shan. ACE
Why don't people know the show? Crikey - dog people - find it online somewhere - it's feel good episodic drama with a dog as the star. Almost as sweet as Due South but not funny or with a Mountie.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:33 am
Why don't people know the show? Crikey - dog people - find it online somewhere - it's feel good episodic drama with a dog as the star. Almost as sweet as Due South but not funny or with a Mountie.
If that show ever came on in the US, it totally blew past me. I've never heard of it. I remember reruns of Lassie and Rin Tin Tin, but no Hobo.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:33 am I LOVED that show as a squid.
I also love the version done Shan. ACE
Thanks ray! and wow, i am sort of surprised to hear it was on in Aus as well. You hear the global chatter about Canadian entertainment being rather shit and laughable but it is nice to hear this show made it's rounds. That is cool. It must have been shared pretty widely among the colonies but maybe didn't get shared to the US audiences. As Greg said, they had the much bigger dog stars and stuff Lassie was sort of the big one.

I am excited that some of you knew it and enjoyed it. Makes it much more worth it.

lol @ due south. If you ever felt the desire to watch another piece of Canadian gold 'North of 60' was a good one as was 'Beachcombers'. Actually Beachcombers is probably the better one to chase down. You know, if you ever felt you needed a time waster show. :k: