What studio monitors do you use?

General recording topics.
musicturtle

What studio monitors do you use?

Post by musicturtle »

With Tadpui possibly getting a pair of $1500 studio monitors it got me wondering what everyone uses in the home studios.

I have an old pair of Yamaha MS150s. They are basically powered PA speakers and not ideal. I was looking towards this as possibly my next investment.

So what do you guys/gals use?
JD01

Re: What studio monitors do you use?

Post by JD01 »

A fender branded pair by Focal. They seemed to immediately improve my mixing, prior to then I'd only been mixing on cans really.
paulman

Post by paulman »

Yamaha MSP7, with stands that prevent vibration. They're the only quality monitors I've ever owned, so I have nothing to compare them to, but they tell the truth.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

JBL LSR 305's

EDIT: perched atop overturned tall-kitchen garbage cans...my ears get almost down to the level of the tweeters if I slouch really, really low in my chair! :facepalm2: I really need to work on improving that set-up sometime...
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I've had a pair of Yamaha HS80M for 4 or 5 years now. I added an HS8S subwoofer to them a couple years later. Like Paulman above, these were my first set of studio monitors so I have nothing similar to compare them to.

Before that I was using a Sony bookshelf hi-fi system, a Cambridge Soundworks computer 5.1 system, and headphones. And my mixes from that era show that I had no idea how anything actually sounded. Heck, I'm still pretty hit-and-miss even with good monitors and a semi-treated room!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I use a pair of pre gibson buy out KRK Rokkit5's. Prior to that was entirely headphones. I have been debating jumping to an 8" monitor of some species but these work pretty good. I don't need an 8" but it would be cool.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

15 year old KRK Rokit 8s
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JBL 4208s or Sony SS M-3s depending on which I'm listening to at that time.

Right now the 4208s ( I have 2 pair) but I'm getting the itch to hook the Sonys back up.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I'm currently using M-Audio BX8's (1st generation, I think)I bought used about 8 years (or more) ago...

I started on a Kenwood home theater/stereo that had a sub-woofer, 3-way bookshelf speakers with 8" drivers & surround/satellite speakers then switched to M-Audio BX5's for a while before I got the BX8's...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I use Yamaha HS8s. I like them, but they are quite hard-sounding. This translates as less harsh mixes on normal hi-fi speakers.
Haggard Musician :mad:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Minerman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:34 am I'm currently using M-Audio BX8's (1st generation, I think)I bought used about 8 years (or more) ago...

I started on a Kenwood home theater/stereo that had a sub-woofer, 3-way bookshelf speakers with 8" drivers & surround/satellite speakers then switched to M-Audio BX5's for a while before I got the BX8's...
how do you like the BX-8's? you get great mixes out of them! I was looking at those when i was shopping around when i got the krk's.
:happytrees:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:44 am
Minerman wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:34 am I'm currently using M-Audio BX8's (1st generation, I think)I bought used about 8 years (or more) ago...

how do you like the BX-8's? you get great mixes out of them! I was looking at those when i was shopping around when i got the krk's.
Thanks Shan...They're ok I guess man, I bought 'em used for like $125 in 2010, I think...These are the "best" monitors I've used, but I think it's what you get used to, & you need to listen on several sources like monitors, boom box, car stereo...I use headphones a lot too Shan, after a while you just learn the gear you have I think man...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Behringer MS20
Cheap, cheerful but a BIG step up for me.
Soon I'll upgrade = but need to find a new home for the current ones 1st.
Cheers
rayc
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

KRK V8’s, 2nd gen
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I currently use Yamaha HS8's and before that i used some Alesis book shelf speakers that were about $100 for the pair. I really like the Yamaha's.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

A few people have mentioned HS8s. When I get around to upgrading mine I'll probably see if I can pick up a 2nd hand pair.
Ausrock

Post by Ausrock »

I had been using unpowered Tannoy Reveals for a long time but when the power amp died I started researching powered monitors. The KRK's were regularly described as being too "HiFi" and I ended up buying the Presonus ERIS E66.............so far, very happy with them.