Sound Panel Material Idea

DIY Studio Stuff
musicturtle

Sound Panel Material Idea

Post by musicturtle »

Okay, so my wife and I really don't care for going to the grocery very much, so we get perishables sent from Amazon usually once or twice a week.

A couple of weeks ago they started putting a different insulation in their bags. It's this stuff inside of plastic bags.
Insul.jpg
They are coming in 20" by 12" pieces and are a 1/2" or so thick.

Do you think this would be good to use for filler for some sound panels?

It just seemed like a good use of something I would have to throw in the trash.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Sound Panel Material Idea

Post by WhiskeyJack »

If you have enough of them and can stack a few up together to be about 2 or 3 inch thick i would absolutely make those myself. They would make really good first refelection point panels for sure. Do it up MT!!!
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Excellent recying idea, mate. It's certainly worth a try!
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:15 pm If you have enough of them and can stack a few up together to be about 2 or 3 inch thick i would absolutely make those myself. They would make really good first refelection point panels for sure. Do it up MT!!!
I have a very quirky setup so where to put them will be interesting. Lots of different levels of stuff piled throughout the garage. And the washer and dryer of course are reflection machines.

I already have 5 pieces, gonna collect them for a while and probably make some that can easily be moved to find a good setup.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

musicturtle wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:38 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:15 pm If you have enough of them and can stack a few up together to be about 2 or 3 inch thick i would absolutely make those myself. They would make really good first refelection point panels for sure. Do it up MT!!!
I have a very quirky setup so where to put them will be interesting. Lots of different levels of stuff piled throughout the garage. And the washer and dryer of course are reflection machines.

I already have 5 pieces, gonna collect them for a while and probably make some that can easily be moved to find a good setup.
are you able (or willing) to share a panoramic photo of your listening space?
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That looks like packing blankets. Interesting.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:53 pm
are you able (or willing) to share a panoramic photo of your listening space?
Well here it is. It is a mess and probably never gonna be a good place to listen, but it is what I have available now.
Garage.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Thats the beauty of what a lot of us do MT. The DIY ethos is to get the best of whats available to us. My first ever space ever was a closet. Not even kidding. Its what we have at the time that makes sense.

I recall your vocal booth now!!! It works! Your vocal tracks always end up sounding great so mission accomplished.

If i had any suggestions of the top of my head:

Wrap your hot water tank in a thin quilt or blanket. 2 reasons: it will dampen some frequencies and also marginally improve the heaters performance. If you have a pilot light for gas make sure to trim or hang said blanket accordingly so as to prevent flamage.

Your room looks well dampened with all the stuff you got in your room from about the floor up. I think when i was researching for my own space i read that you only really need +/- 20% of your room acoustically treated plus bass trapping to retain a little bit of liveness. so if it were me i would gather enough materials to make 3 to 6 inch thick panels to stick in the corners next to you compter closer to the ceiling. Maybe leave all those upper walls a bit empty. A wall mounted shelf of hardcover books midway up the wall on either side of the window would do you well too.

[mention]JD01[/mention] will back me up on tjis i know but you could totally skip the bookshelves to keep some wall space free amd instead do a 2'x4' by 2" thick cloud overhead of your listening position. It would be time and effort well spent.

Only my two cents. Hope to see it come together for you.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Clouds are surprisingly easy, make a huge difference and don't actually take up any space.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

So I have collected about 28 of these things and then I came to find a teacher at my school throwing out a role of burlap and a light went off in my head.

I think I am going to just stack 4 of these pads together and wrap them. I don't really need a frame because they are pre cut and I like having a good number of small ones I use in different ways.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Looking good [mention]musicturtle[/mention]! That shoukd make big difference for you. I love your diy upcycle ethic too. That stuff is right up my alley.

I love my burlap panels. Cant wait to see more dude.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Nice one Tony. Did you ever see the videos of how me and Shan put the treatment in our rooms together?
rayc

Post by rayc »

Recycling and room treatment - excellent Tony. I'm impressed.
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:18 am Nice one Tony. Did you ever see the videos of how me and Shan put the treatment in our rooms together?
Yes...I just watched yours again. I may buy a few strips of 1 x 2 inch lumber and make some frames for them. Otherwise they kind of turn out looking like pillows.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

musicturtle wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:37 am
JD01 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:18 am Nice one Tony. Did you ever see the videos of how me and Shan put the treatment in our rooms together?
Yes...I just watched yours again. I may buy a few strips of 1 x 2 inch lumber and make some frames for them. Otherwise they kind of turn out looking like pillows.
Shan actually has a slightly better frame design than me. It's a little more work but looks better and is probably more robust.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That's good use of shit that was gonna be thrown away anyway.

I'm about to make a bunch of panels out of thrift store towels. You can buy hundreds of old bath and beach towels for pennies.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

musicturtle wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:37 am
Ibwould really reccomend some frame work for sure. I saw a few recipies online for something where buddy simply made only a frame for the back of his batts and used that to staple / fasten his covering. That may be alo you need.

I am curious to see what you work out for fastening the burlap. I had a hell of a time and it was a bloody mess. Other than that everything else worked pretty good.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

20190824_161611.jpg
20190824_161856.jpg
20190824_153242.jpg
20190824_154221.jpg
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Still looks a bit like a pillow but it will work. I will be doing more so I will get better at it hopefully. Put gorilla tape on back to hold in the stuffing and tacked down the burlap with small nails.

Best part is I only used stuff I already had at the house.