Acoustic drums with triggers

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
paulman

Re: Acoustic drums with triggers

Post by paulman »

JD01 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:13 pm Yeah, I'm planning on spending about a grand to get decent mesh heads with a good snare.
Cool, you should be all set then. Mine was $399 and the pads are about as responsive as the bottom of my shoe.
paulman

Post by paulman »

So it's a year later and I still haven't done anything about my drum situation. I was considering splurging on a good Roland set, for which I would have to saw off an arm and a leg and send them in along with putting an exorbitant amount of money on a credit card and forgoing Jaguars season tickets so that I can pay off the drums within a few months. Then I found this, for which I see really good reviews:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/ ... c-drum-kit

The downside is the cymbals, which reviews say can be a little spotty. From what I've gathered, Roland cymbals seem to be the only ones worth a damn. But they would be better than what I have, and the mesh heads on the drums are what I really need. I don't care about sounds, I have those already in VST plugins. And this would save thousands of dollars.

My earlier idea of using acoustic drums is out, because my house might as well be made of paper. I'm already pretty sure my neighbors can hear whatever I sing, so real drums would be out of the question. Anyway, long story short, has anyone had any kind of experience with this particular set? Apparently it's a UK company, so a few YouTube videos are all I can find in the way of info, and there aren't a lot of places I can buy it. I can get it from the link above, for the best price I've seen. Just don't know what shipping will be.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

[mention]paulman[/mention]

You might be able to replace those cymbals with better ones dude...Not sure on the compatibility though...That looks like a re-branded Alesis kit to me, so you might be able to use better Roland cymbals...

How many inputs does that module have??? The reason I ask is you might wanna expand your kit someday...Just something to think about...

I have a Yamaha e-kit (actually 2 put together into one big kit), & what I have won't really work with Roland stuff, but I'm ok with that...I knew that before I bought the Yamaha kit(s)...

Before you pull the trigger, you might wanna look at Yamaha stuff...I can't compare what I have with Roland, & there would be compatibility issues if you tried to use Roland cymbals, but on it's own I like the Yamaha stuff...

Keep us posted on what you decide, & if you get in a rut holler at me, I might be able to help...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
paulman

Post by paulman »

Minerman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:36 pm @paulman

You might be able to replace those cymbals with better ones dude...Not sure on the compatibility though...That looks like a re-branded Alesis kit to me, so you might be able to use better Roland cymbals...

How many inputs does that module have??? The reason I ask is you might wanna expand your kit someday...Just something to think about...

I have a Yamaha e-kit (actually 2 put together into one big kit), & what I have won't really work with Roland stuff, but I'm ok with that...I knew that before I bought the Yamaha kit(s)...

Before you pull the trigger, you might wanna look at Yamaha stuff...I can't compare what I have with Roland, & there would be compatibility issues if you tried to use Roland cymbals, but on it's own I like the Yamaha stuff...

Keep us posted on what you decide, & if you get in a rut holler at me, I might be able to help...
So are you saying Roland is compatible with Alesis? If so, that could be a game changer.

As far as future expansion, it's doubtful I would want to. I'm a simple man when it comes to drums. I'm all about the snare. As long as I have a basic set of mesh drums and cymbals that don't sound robotic and can be choked, I'll be happy forever. Or until I can start using an acoustic kit.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

paulman wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:08 pm So are you saying Roland is compatible with Alesis? If so, that could be a game changer.

As far as future expansion, it's doubtful I would want to. I'm a simple man when it comes to drums. I'm all about the snare. As long as I have a basic set of mesh drums and cymbals that don't sound robotic and can be choked, I'll be happy forever. Or until I can start using an acoustic kit.
I think Alesis & Roland are somewhat compatible, but you'll wanna do some searching/digging to be positive...I do know Yamaha cymbals/pads won't work correctly with a Roland module, they're wired backwards...

At one time, I had a "monster" e-kit set up using 2 modules, with like 4 or 5 cymbals, 4 or 5 toms, plus extra pads for percussion (tamb/shaker/cowbell), but I only have a simple kit set up right now...

Again, you might wanna make sure about the compatibility thing, but that kit should be fine for you, after you put mesh heads on the shells...Those heads are actually pretty loud from what I've read...

Good luck dude...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs: