Would'ya look at that? A box from Sweetwater on my porch! (another NMD post)

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
SweetDan

Would'ya look at that? A box from Sweetwater on my porch! (another NMD post)

Post by SweetDan »

I'm not actually going to take a picture of the box (my cell phone's waaaaay over there, on the other side of the room... ;)), but here's what you'd find inside it, if you could see it:

- short mic stand
- Sennheiser e602

/me :grins_bigly:, and can't wait for the end of the workday to give this thing a try :D
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Would'ya look at that? A box from Sweetwater on my porch! (another NMD post)

Post by WhiskeyJack »

SweetDan wrote: ↑Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:34 pm (my cell phone's waaaaay over there, on the other side of the room... ;)),
:facepalm2:

Sweet day SD for you none the less !!! let me know how that works.

Speaking of Sennhesier mics, i learned that there is a little insert in the mic mount that my e906 shipped with that was frustrating the ever dying hell out of me. I got cranky and was going to go buy another one and the kindly shopkeep informed all i need to do was unscrew the offending insert and it'l fit my mic stand.

:spacepalm: :spacepalm:
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Re: Would'ya look at that? A box from Sweetwater on my porch! (another NMD post)

Post by Greg_L »

Lol.

Nice NMD. Congrats!
Rebel Yell
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:50 pm
SweetDan wrote: ↑Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:34 pm (my cell phone's waaaaay over there, on the other side of the room... ;)),
:facepalm2:
Wouldn't you rather have some sound clips instead of crappy cell-phone photos anyway? :)

So with this purchase, I now have a "real" kick-drum mic. It's probably not a fair comparison, but I recorded 2 other clips using other mics I have (SM57, E/V CO9) on the kick, just to hear what a difference it makes to use a mic designed specifically for the kick. Right tool for the job and all that...

The set-up:
- 13" 6-lug snare with some muffling on top, 18" kick with a beach towel touching both heads for muffling inside; 13" hats, 16" crash, 20" ride; played w/nylon-tipped 7A sticks
- overhead mic: Blue Spark, 2 drum sticks away from center of snare top, positioned directly over the right-side rim, and angled back slightly so it's pointed at the center of the snare
- kick: each of the 3 other mics I have (the SM57, an E/V CO9, and the new e602), centered in and 1-2" through an offset port in the resonant head, angled in to point directly at the beater
- 2-channel interface, into the DAW
- no processing or effects on any of the tracks, though levels were matched roughly between each take

CO9 on kick in mix 1, SM57 on kick in mix 2, and e602 (the new mic) on kick in mix 3. Have a listen:
mix1.mp3
mix2.mp3
mix3.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

And in case anyone wants to dissect things, here are separate overhead/kick tracks:

oh1.mp3
oh2.mp3
oh3.mp3
kick1_CO9.mp3
kick2_SM57.mp3
kick3_e602.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Nice low end in the 602 kick mic.

I think you have too much overhead happening to really hear the spot mics clearly. Do a mix with more close mics and reduced overheads.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Sweetwater boxes on the porch are always a good thing!

Agreed, let's hear more spot mic and less overhead.

I'm actually a little curious how others do it...I always start with the spot mics, then bring up the overheads to taste. But I've read numerous accounts of people vigorously asserting that you should bring up the overheads first, then bring in the spot mics to taste. I guess it depends on whether you want a more in-your-face sound (more spot mics) or a more roomy natural sound (more overheads and/or room mics).
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: ↑Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:04 am Sweetwater boxes on the porch are always a good thing!

Agreed, let's hear more spot mic and less overhead.

I'm actually a little curious how others do it...I always start with the spot mics, then bring up the overheads to taste. But I've read numerous accounts of people vigorously asserting that you should bring up the overheads first, then bring in the spot mics to taste. I guess it depends on whether you want a more in-your-face sound (more spot mics) or a more roomy natural sound (more overheads and/or room mics).
Yup. It just depends on the mix, the room, what kind of drum presence you want, etc. There is no right or wrong way.
Rebel Yell
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:33 pm Nice low end in the 602 kick mic.
Yes, I'm very pleased with this purchase (and even better that it was on sale for ~$60 off the regular price). The mic stand, however, is not great. I cheaped out and got the "On Stage" brand. The materials are good enough quality, but the fittings are all flimsy and ill-fitting. I have a guitar stand or two by that manufacturer which work ok, but then again, guitar stands have no moving or complex adjustable/clamping parts.

Re: the overheads vs. the spot "mics", perhaps I was unclear when I described my set-up. I have this nice new mic, and a selection of others, but only 2 mic pre's on my interface. So I've got an LDC overhead, and the kick drum mic.

So of course, the next item to go on the wish-list is a 4-(or more)-channel interface. And a couple of SDCs. And I'll need at least one more mic stand too. (Bye bye, new year's resolution to not blow out the discretionary funds bucket in the budget... :facepalm: )
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

SweetDan wrote: ↑Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:48 am Yes, I'm very pleased with this purchase (and even better that it was on sale for ~$60 off the regular price). The mic stand, however, is not great. I cheaped out and got the "On Stage" brand. The materials are good enough quality, but the fittings are all flimsy and ill-fitting. I have a guitar stand or two by that manufacturer which work ok, but then again, guitar stands have no moving or complex adjustable/clamping parts.

Re: the overheads vs. the spot "mics", perhaps I was unclear when I described my set-up. I have this nice new mic, and a selection of others, but only 2 mic pre's on my interface. So I've got an LDC overhead, and the kick drum mic.

So of course, the next item to go on the wish-list is a 4-(or more)-channel interface. And a couple of SDCs. And I'll need at least one more mic stand too. (Bye bye, new year's resolution to not blow out the discretionary funds bucket in the budget... :facepalm: )
I've been playing with a Behringer UMC404HD lately. It's got 4 inputs/preamps and 4 (seemingly useless) outputs. For $150 it's actually not a bad deal at all. Sounds good, drivers are fast enough. Although I think that as soon as you get a 4-mic setup going, you'll be itching to spot-mic the toms. Maybe plan ahead and get an 8-input interface instead :D
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Yer new kick mic is a winner! Congrats!
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Nice...sounding good. Congrats on the new mic.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Nice! Sounds better than the old one.