Mutt*Pups Launch

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Mutt*Pups Launch

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I have missed so much today. I'll be back later when i have some more time. I am really stoked to see mutt steamrolling though. super exciting.
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:56 pm I'd want my packaging made of south african baby seal hide and contraband ebony.
Sorry, I only carry Ivory polished with Dolphin sperm...
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:13 pm I have missed so much today. I'll be back later when i have some more time. I am really stoked to see mutt steamrolling though. super exciting.
Early days yet man, Ive got some hog work to do yet... Now fit them pups... :coolstorybro:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:56 pm I'd want my packaging made of south african baby seal hide and contraband ebony.
Greg,
I'm disgusted!
What's wrong with good old Canadian baby Harp seal?

Now I'm disgusted at me making an awful joke about an awful thing.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Nice going, Mutt! I am definitely interested in more than one of your offerings.

As far as preferences, I have pretty "vintage" tastes in guitar accoutrements. Cream binding, nickel covers for 'buckers. I don't really know my preference for single coils. My Tele has a black bridge pickup and a nickel covered neck pickup. And my Jazzmaster has those oversized cream pickup covers with the pole pieces showing through. Those are the only single coils that I've ever owned.

I know I've talked about it for 2+ years now, but I'm still wanting to replace the Burst Bucker Pros that are in my LP. I put them in to replace the searing hot ceramic coil pickups that came on my '98 Classic, but they still leave a little to be desired. They're not awful or anything, but I think that I'd like something that approximates that '57 Classic or PAF kind of sound. It really sounds like your more vintage options are in that neighborhood.

Maybe someday I'll get brave enough to swap out pickups on my American Deluxe Tele as well. They're those samarium cobalt noiseless jobbies. They don't suck or anything, but they're not very "Telecaster-y".
muttley

Post by muttley »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:24 pm Nice going, Mutt! I am definitely interested in more than one of your offerings.

As far as preferences, I have pretty "vintage" tastes in guitar accoutrements. Cream binding, nickel covers for 'buckers. I don't really know my preference for single coils. My Tele has a black bridge pickup and a nickel covered neck pickup. And my Jazzmaster has those oversized cream pickup covers with the pole pieces showing through. Those are the only single coils that I've ever owned.

I know I've talked about it for 2+ years now, but I'm still wanting to replace the Burst Bucker Pros that are in my LP. I put them in to replace the searing hot ceramic coil pickups that came on my '98 Classic, but they still leave a little to be desired. They're not awful or anything, but I think that I'd like something that approximates that '57 Classic or PAF kind of sound. It really sounds like your more vintage options are in that neighborhood.

Maybe someday I'll get brave enough to swap out pickups on my American Deluxe Tele as well. They're those samarium cobalt noiseless jobbies. They don't suck or anything, but they're not very "Telecaster-y".
Sounds like you would be after a set similar to Gergs PAFs or Bill's set. From memory they are similar with just the magnet choice that is different. They would chime in on which would be closer to your intended tone... Am I correct that the BurstBucker Pro has the snap out connectors? Is that what we stalled on?

On the broader subject, sure.. Classic and vintage seems to be the most solid way forward. I was looking at a staw poll or small snapshot of what seems to be everyones understanding of a "vintage" look. Cream and nickle seem to be the way to go. Single coil fender stuff doesnt really have a "look" its more about whats under the cover with them...