Nuts

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

JD01

Nuts

Post by JD01 »

The last 6 months or so I've been getting more pinging on my G and B strings on my Crimson which I think is down to the cut of the nut.

I've recently had work done on my cheapo Tele, including getting the nut re-cut, and its now brilliant to play, the nut never pings and it has great tuning stability.

I seem to remember the nut on my Crimson being Tusq, not sure what it is on my tele - Bone? Plastic?

So, I could just have a bit of work done on the nut of my Crimson by the same guy who did my Tele.
Or, I could replace the nut on my Crimson with more of a block type nut like the Tele. My old yellow tele had a graphite nut, is that a good idea?
Obviously my Crimson needs a black nut of some description.

What do you think the best course of action is - just want to improve the tuning stability on my Crimson.
Tele Nut (1).jpg
Crimson Nut.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
muttley

Re: Nuts

Post by muttley »

Just get the existing nut slot cut properly. If it needs a new nut use tusq or bone.

Did Ben and his boys not round off the fret ends? They look quite angular and would bug me?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:03 pm Just get the existing nut slot cut properly. If it needs a new nut use tusq or bone.

Did Ben and his boys not round off the fret ends? They look quite angular and would bug me?
Cool. I'll just take it to the same guy. He did a good job.

The fret ends are good. They are big frets though!
rayc

Post by rayc »

Crimson should fix it for free.
Cheers
rayc
muttley

Post by muttley »

rayc wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:18 pm Crimson should fix it for free.
I would and I'm sure they would. Thing is JD would have to book a trip there specially. Its a 10 minute job at most and not uncommon and the trip from Bristol to the South coast is not far but prolly a few hours.. On a new setup and new guitar there are always inevitable niggles for the first few thousand notes... If it was buzzing or playing out of wack maybe but for a little easing of the nut slot.. its no biggie...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, if I had a reason to go down that way I’d just stop by and I’m sure they’d adjust it for me.

Like mutt, said there’s always setup issues after you’ve had a new guitar a little while. I actually went back for more setup work after I’d had the guitar for four months.

I think it’s since getting the nut recut on my tele, I’ve never had a guitar stay in tune quite like it! I always thought my Crimson had good tuning stability, but my tele is better