Using analog delay

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Alison

Using analog delay

Post by Alison »

Got a quick question, hopefully, someone can guide me through. . . . I've used a delay on an electric guitar but I'd really like to cancel it on the last chord. Is that possible? I've tried using an event but so far, I can't figure out how to cancel the delay. Can anyone suggest something?
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Using analog delay

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Alison wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:17 pm Got a quick question, hopefully, someone can guide me through. . . . I've used a delay on an electric guitar but I'd really like to cancel it on the last chord. Is that possible? I've tried using an event but so far, I can't figure out how to cancel the delay. Can anyone suggest something?
Is the delay an effect you had added onto the track as a post effect? or is it the delay an actual part of the tracked performance Alison?
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Yes Alison what, where & how did you add the delay is info needed before help can be offered.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

You mean you have an analogue delay pedal? And you want to turn the delay effect off at the end of the song without the repeats ringing out?

Some delay pedals have an option for this, what pedal have you got?
If this is a recording thing it should be east to sort... you could even retract the last chord, cut and paste it into place and glue the tracks together... bit clumsy but it would work.
Alison

Post by Alison »

So, I forgot that I'm talking with actual guitar players! Lol! I used my electric but went directly into my interface as I don't have an electric amp yet. I added the delay from the effects on my DAW, from the beginning of the track. And, yes, I'd love to not have the effect on for the last chord!
So sorry, I'm not terribly clear how to describe all this yet!
Alison

Post by Alison »

JD01 wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:33 am You mean you have an analogue delay pedal? And you want to turn the delay effect off at the end of the song without the repeats ringing out?

Some delay pedals have an option for this, what pedal have you got?
If this is a recording thing it should be east to sort... you could even retract the last chord, cut and paste it into place and glue the tracks together... bit clumsy but it would work.
I've tried deleting the last chord on that track then cutting and pasting the same chord from another track but, the effect was still there! The only other thing I can think of is to have the chord on another track (same pan/eq etc. . .) and delete it from the main track. Then I'd have a clean chord. . .
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Alison wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:54 pm

I've tried deleting the last chord on that track then cutting and pasting the same chord from another track but, the effect was still there! The only other thing I can think of is to have the chord on another track (same pan/eq etc. . .) and delete it from the main track. Then I'd have a clean chord. . .
Do that. Track it again.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Depending on the DAW VST you can use the automation to Bypass the delay for any section of a track.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

If you've recorded a dry guitar and are applying a VST delay via your DAW you can simply copy the dry track, put the effect on one, no effect on the other and fade between the two at the relevant point.

Problem with delays in particular can be that while you can kill off new reflections, the old ones can carry through - depends upon the thing you're using. This technique may help with that, or, as ray says, simply switch it off/fade it out via an envelope, or your DAW's alternative to this, depending upon exactly what effect you want.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I am throwing my vote behind ray and automating the delay to be turned off for the last bit. While i have only barely dipped my toes in the automation thing i can't clearly paint a road map on HOW to do it, i just know that that might be the simplest thing to do.

Or do the performance again that could also work particularly well, but you would need to have a pretty smooth crossfade on the two tracks and time it just right so that "wet" delay signal of the one track is done doing it's thing right when you want it to. Hopefully that makes sense. best of luck Alison you are in some serious mixing and production territory! Kudos to you.
Alison

Post by Alison »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:41 pm I am throwing my vote behind ray and automating the delay to be turned off for the last bit. While i have only barely dipped my toes in the automation thing i can't clearly paint a road map on HOW to do it, i just know that that might be the simplest thing to do.

Or do the performance again that could also work particularly well, but you would need to have a pretty smooth crossfade on the two tracks and time it just right so that "wet" delay signal of the one track is done doing it's thing right when you want it to. Hopefully that makes sense. best of luck Alison you are in some serious mixing and production territory! Kudos to you.
This is why I LOVE home recording! I learn SO MUCH! Thank you all for your input. I have tried Ray's suggestion and, yes, I have some fading out to do but, I think it's approachable! If only I were a better guitar player. . . . . May have something to post in the "Let's have a listen" section soon. Thank you!
rayc

Post by rayc »

Alison wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 pm This is why I LOVE home recording! I learn SO MUCH! Thank you all for your input. May have something to post in the "Let's have a listen" section soon.
All the pointers and advice in the world lead to the same place - trying/experimenting and learning by doing.
I look forward to your new project.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Alison wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 pm If only I were a better guitar player. . . . .
There are always people here who can help you with ANY aspect of your project - including playing stuff, if that's what you need. :wink:
Alison

Post by Alison »

Armistice wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:55 pm
Alison wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:52 pm If only I were a better guitar player. . . . .
There are always people here who can help you with ANY aspect of your project - including playing stuff, if that's what you need. :wink:
Oh, yes! I definitely could use a better guitar player!! Drums and bass too actually. :cool: I have some people locally but it does get tough finding time. As I get to know everybody, I'll definitely get into that.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Wonder if there can be a community sticky where everyone can post what instruments and styles they can play. Sort of like a resume for people wanting a track for their song.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:09 pm Wonder if there can be a community sticky where everyone can post what instruments and styles they can play. Sort of like a resume for people wanting a track for their song.
You should use WJ's new mention facility [mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] to bring it to Dear Admin's attention and maybe he can organise it for you... :like:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:09 pm Wonder if there can be a community sticky where everyone can post what instruments and styles they can play. Sort of like a resume for people wanting a track for their song.
Thats a pretty good idea actually. I think i recall that there maube something i can do to the profiles or signatures to add a list or link or something. I think that is a cool idea. Good one [mention]CrowsofFritz[/mention] (and [mention]Armistice[/mention] )
rayc

Post by rayc »

[mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention], [mention]CrowsofFritz[/mention] & [mention]Armistice[/mention] - perhaps a good idea - I've certainly used abused the generosity of Greg, James, David, Gerry, Tony and others on a track or three.
My problem is that I can't play anything well enough to do unto others.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:44 pm @WhiskeyJack, @CrowsofFritz & @Armistice - perhaps a good idea - I've certainly used abused the generosity of Greg, James, David, Gerry, Tony and others on a track or three.
My problem is that I can't play anything well enough to do unto others.
Ok well we can see what we can do Ray.