Pedals and boards they may sometimes go on

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Minerman

Re: Pedals and boards they may sometimes go on

Post by Minerman »

Greg: Cool dude...I'm always impressed with your skills man...I know this is a simple little box, but I keep thinking back to your amp build...You're good at this shit man...

Wonder how much, if any signal loss would happen if I made a diy A/B/Y box to run one guitar through 2 amps at once??? Some of the commercial boxes have ground lifts/transformers/etc in 'em, & I wonder if those are needed, how hard it would be to diy???

Bob: Hang in there man, we all know you've got a lot on your plate, & it's been like that for a while now...Don't forget to take a break just for yourself every once in a while...Stress is what got my health problems rolling, & it doesn't take long to snowball...Just sayin'...Love ya man...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:50 pm Greg: Cool dude...I'm always impressed with your skills man...I know this is a simple little box, but I keep thinking back to your amp build...You're good at this shit man...

Wonder how much, if any signal loss would happen if I made a diy A/B/Y box to run one guitar through 2 amps at once??? Some of the commercial boxes have ground lifts/transformers/etc in 'em, & I wonder if those are needed, how hard it would be to diy???

Try it with a simple Y-cable first. It might work great, in which case you just make a simple A/B/Y box. No problem.

But you might somehow get a ground loop or worse - phase problems. That can't easily be fixed.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:59 pm
Minerman wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:50 pm Greg: Cool dude...I'm always impressed with your skills man...I know this is a simple little box, but I keep thinking back to your amp build...You're good at this shit man...

Try it with a simple Y-cable first. It might work great, in which case you just make a simple A/B/Y box. No problem.

But you might somehow get a ground loop or worse - phase problems. That can't easily be fixed.
I've been meaning to do this for like...a year... :facepalm:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:49 pm
SweetDan wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:35 pm Routing question:

Which of your pedals are between the guitar and the amp, and which are in the f/x send-return loop?
Okay it might not look like a smooth flow...:cuckoo: :eek:
No, I think it's neat to understand what's going on in any given player's set-up. There's usually a reason for why things are laid out the way they are to achieve certain sounds and/or effects.

Anybody who has taken the time to think about what sound they want, analyze their current sound to see how/why it's different, then taken steps (sometimes in the wrong direction then backtracking) has done some work. I appreciate if they're willing to share what they've learned.

Like this guy, for example (awesome player, btw):
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVdX4231kpQ[/BBvideo]
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:04 pm Lots of talented people here and I don't give that away.

Really, pretty much everything I hear from every Rebel is good .... no dreck at all.
And an amp builder and a pedalboard builder ....

Greg is a freakin' GREAT musician even though he denies it.
Liv comes up with stuff that really makes me want to play around with and if I EVER get caught up with the overwhelming amount of shit I have on my plate I'm wanting to collaborate with him.

You've got ocnor who knows his shit ..... minerman who rocks .... JD who does also and Bubba who does too ... AND is a great artist.
Armistice the aussie .... really nice music.
Our fearless leader WJ who is a good musician AND an ace forum designer.
muttley who is an amazing luthier and acoustic expert.

And all the names I've missed .... sorry .... every single person here impresses me.

This place makes me happy .... no douchebags ...... no whiney babies .... it's awesome.

I know I haven't been contributing much but I will ..... I just have a house falling down, a brother dying, 25 feral cats to deal with, 2 air conditioners not working .... busiest part of hurricane season approaching ... and about 22 gigs a month and a 97 year old mom-in-law to take care of and that's just the major things.
I'm really overloaded guys ... as for music, right now I'm over it .... it's just a stream of income ... there's no desire in me to play when I don't have to.

That won't last forever .... once I get time to breathe I'll be driven to record again.
But right now I can barely think .... just too much shit on my plate.

So I apologize for not contributing ..... I love this board and all the people in it.
Lt, sorry for all the stress in your life, man. I hope it all smooths out a bit so you can enjoy it some more!

And I agree, this place is pretty awesome. Ive been trying to convince Dross to come over since he's so active recording and producing and is awesome at it. He would fit in well here I think.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Also Greg, I wish to learn some soldering skills. I'm super jealous of that aspect of the DIY home studio hobby. I can build stuff but that electrical aspect is lacking. An old buddy helped me make a xlr/trs patchbay thingy once but it was over 10 years ago I dont remember shit from it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:11 pm Also Greg, I wish to learn some soldering skills. I'm super jealous of that aspect of the DIY home studio hobby. I can build stuff but that electrical aspect is lacking. An old buddy helped me make a xlr/trs patchbay thingy once but it was over 10 years ago I dont remember shit from it.
The kind of soldering you'd do, or I do, is easy stuff. We're not building sensitive medical equipment here. Lol. But it does need to be done right. Our kind of soldering is basic, but it does require some finesse to get a permanent perfectly soldered connection. You're not really just sticking things together. It's almost like welding. Wire to wire, wire to terminal, whatever to whatever, the bits have to become one within the solder blob. Do you have any soldering equipment?

Go to a Goodwill or a thrift store or something and buy some old junky electronic device. Take that bitch apart and desolder stuff, resolder stuff, disconnect and reconnect, etc. Learn how to use the heat of the soldering iron. Learn how the solder flows.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:02 pm
liv_rong wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:11 pm Also Greg, I wish to learn some soldering skills. I'm super jealous of that aspect of the DIY home studio hobby. I can build stuff but that electrical aspect is lacking. An old buddy helped me make a xlr/trs patchbay thingy once but it was over 10 years ago I dont remember shit from it.
The kind of soldering you'd do, or I do, is easy stuff. We're not building sensitive medical equipment here. Lol. But it does need to be done right. Our kind of soldering is basic, but it does require some finesse to get a permanent perfectly soldered connection. You're not really just sticking things together. It's almost like welding. Wire to wire, wire to terminal, whatever to whatever, the bits have to become one within the solder blob. Do you have any soldering equipment?

Go to a Goodwill or a thrift store or something and buy some old junky electronic device. Take that bitch apart and desolder stuff, resolder stuff, disconnect and reconnect, etc. Learn how to use the heat of the soldering iron. Learn how the solder flows.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You'll be surprised at how quickly it'll come
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

SweetDan wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:35 pm
Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:49 pm

Okay it might not look like a smooth flow...:cuckoo: :eek:
No, I think it's neat to understand what's going on in any given player's set-up. There's usually a reason for why things are laid out the way they are to achieve certain sounds and/or effects.

Anybody who has taken the time to think about what sound they want, analyze their current sound to see how/why it's different, then taken steps (sometimes in the wrong direction then backtracking) has done some work. I appreciate if they're willing to share what they've learned.

My pedalboard is laid out to work with all of my amps. I really don't hardly ever use any of it, but it's setup so I can use it in front of any of my amps and it'll be fine. My buddies always make fun of me for having all these pedals knowing that I claim to not be a pedal guy, but they're all there on one board for practical and logistical reasons. Like....two overdrive pedals. WTF. But there's a reason - the Tube Screamer works better IMO with the Plexi-type amps, the Super Overdrive works better with the master volume amps. The FX loop stuff only works with the JVM. I only use the noisegate with single coil guitars. So instead of having two, three, four different mini-boards for different situations, I just keep it all on one board.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

The muse can't find space when the ace is in survival mode.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:04 pm Lots of talented people here and I don't give that away.

Really, pretty much everything I hear from every Rebel is good .... no dreck at all.
And an amp builder and a pedalboard builder ....

Greg is a freakin' GREAT musician even though he denies it.
Liv comes up with stuff that really makes me want to play around with and if I EVER get caught up with the overwhelming amount of shit I have on my plate I'm wanting to collaborate with him.

You've got ocnor who knows his shit ..... minerman who rocks .... JD who does also and Bubba who does too ... AND is a great artist.
Armistice the aussie .... really nice music.
Our fearless leader WJ who is a good musician AND an ace forum designer.
muttley who is an amazing luthier and acoustic expert.

And all the names I've missed .... sorry .... every single person here impresses me.

This place makes me happy .... no douchebags ...... no whiney babies .... it's awesome.

I know I haven't been contributing much but I will ..... I just have a house falling down, a brother dying, 25 feral cats to deal with, 2 air conditioners not working .... busiest part of hurricane season approaching ... and about 22 gigs a month and a 97 year old mom-in-law to take care of and that's just the major things.
I'm really overloaded guys ... as for music, right now I'm over it .... it's just a stream of income ... there's no desire in me to play when I don't have to.

That won't last forever .... once I get time to breathe I'll be driven to record again.
But right now I can barely think .... just too much shit on my plate.

So I apologize for not contributing ..... I love this board and all the people in it.
Very sorry for the predicament you find yourself in. If it is of any upliftment at all there is no need to apologize for not contributing. Everyone here has something else going on and time commitments elsewhere at any given time and for any number of circumstances. positive or negative. I think the fact you play music for a living and earn your income off of it is a pretty big achievement any of us here would love to shadow. If there were to be such a get out of jail free card for maybe not being on here or contributing as much (as if that were ever going ot be a thing :cuckoo: ) that would likely be it.

But that isn't a thing, so no sweat! Sometimes life just has to come first. We are always going to be here. And you are right this network we have here is freaking glorious. all good people. And while we are on the subject i missed you shitheads. I switched off as much as i possibly could for two weeks and while it was amazing and much needed, i did miss poking my head in here.

Thanks for the kind words Lt. Means a lot coming from you. :like: :like: :like:
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Oh and seeing as we are discussing pedal boards here is my on topic post. :lollers: :lollers: :lollers2:

You will get cancer if you open this image.
► Show Spoiler
:spacepalm:
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm going to build a new pedal board on the weekend if I get time. Its gonna be a liv-rong style board but will also be quite a lot shitter.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am I'm going to build a new pedal board on the weekend if I get time. Its gonna be a liv-rong style board but will also be quite a lot shitter.
Take pics
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, made a start this morning on a shit version of a liv_rong board.
Had some shitty timber in the shed which I could use:
Prestart.jpg
Decided I need it to be a maximum of 55cm wide so it'll fit under my desk if necessary and chopped up all my bits accordingly with the biggest slope I could easily achieve based on the wood I had available - I wasn't going to go and buy wood specially for this
Wood Collection.jpg
Screwed one of the sides on first:
First Corner.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Making sure all my screws has proper pilot holes so my cheapo timber wouldn't crack and they'd end up nice and flush with the surface.
Countersinking.jpg
The I just screwed it all together and had the basic structure done:
Basic Structure Done.jpg
After that I just used a hand orbital sander to make sure it had no rough corners or sharpe edges:
Sand off all the edges.jpg
That gap in the back is going to have one of them 4 input patch bay things :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Stain him with Ronseal ebony (like my monitor stands)
Ronseal Ebony.jpg
Now I just have to leave it to dry for a while before I stick the patch bay in and add the velcro:
Done.jpg
Wait for it to dry.jpg
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Nice dude!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Patch bay screwed in - one criticism here. The screwed supplied with this thing will never get into wood. They're obviously designed to screw into a threaded piece of metal. The only extend a mm beyond the plate. I've got plenty of wood screws around though.
Patch Bay.jpg
And we're done :) Would be nice to get a better power supply at some point.
I've never had a problem with a noisy board though, even with an 8 piece 1-Spot.
Finished.jpg
I have a few more angled leads in my place in Bristol which I'll bring back next week to tidy this up a bit more.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice pragmatic approach James.
The choice of a stain over a flat something is interesting .
Cheers
rayc