A test of recording (and tone) quality - cover of Wolf Alice's "Moaning Lisa Smile"

General recording topics.
SweetDan

A test of recording (and tone) quality - cover of Wolf Alice's "Moaning Lisa Smile"

Post by SweetDan »

Here's a few test clips I recorded this morning. Though it will never sound like the original (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z71df68qLp0 - if you can call anything on YT the "original" recording), I'm curious to get feedback on the recording quality of my clips.

Set-up notes:

Guitar (tele-clone, bridge p/u, tone/vol 100% -> effects (if any) -> Vox AD30VT older-gen modeling amp -> SM57, 1" from grille, on-axis, just inside dustcap/cone seam (it's one of those fat dustcaps))

Rhythm gtr effects:
- clean: a bit of compression (using COMP effect onboard the amp)
- "distorted"/left-hand side guitar: the Lovepedal "Champ" clone I built a while ago (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2026)
- "fuzz"/right-hand side guitar: another one I built recently, the "Froth"/fuzz pedal (viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2082)

Bass: DI

Drums:
- OH: SM57, 2 drumsticks-length above right side of snare, pointed roughly at center of batter head
- Kick: E/V CO9 (hand-held vocal mic; it's all I have for this for now), capsule just inside cutout on reso head, pointed towards beater

The "mix" here consists of nothing more than adjusting the balance/levels of the raw recordings, with the wide guitars panned left/right. (Drums are mono, no panning, since my interface has only 2 inputs.) No effects, no compression, no EQ on any of the individual or bus/master tracks.

levels mix.mp3
Take a listen, let me know what you think and where things could be improved.

rhythm gtrs bus.mp3
drum bus.mp3
clean rhythm gtr.mp3
dist rhythm gtr.mp3
fuzz rhythm gtr.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by SweetDan on Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
SweetDan

Re: A test of recording (and tone) quality - cover of Wolf Alice's "Moaning Lisa Smile"

Post by SweetDan »

A couple few more individual tracks:
overhead.mp3
kick.mp3
bass.mp3
EDIT: Getting the correct song title in the thread title is hard. So is counting. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
liv_rong

Re: A test of recording (and tone) quality - cover of Wolf Alice's "Moaning Lisa Smile"

Post by liv_rong »

Sounds pretty good especially considering the drum
Mic set up. I don’t know the original. Are you going to mix it?