Hey JDOD - a Blackstar discussion

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
liv_rong

Hey JDOD - a Blackstar discussion

Post by liv_rong »

My buddy has the same combo as you and initially loved it then over the years he had become less happy with it, sort of like me in a way. Anyways he found the dirty channel to be too muddy, like a lot of people. He debated about getting something different or a cab but recently opted for a new speaker just to test the waters a bit before dropping more money into a new amp. He settled on the Watehouse Guitar Speakers Reaper and loves it. He says it's much more crisp and defined and completely changed the amp into something he likes. Now, we'll see how it goes once the honeymoon is over but just thought I'd share that with you.

As for me I really want a Friedman Runt, would love the 50 watt head but will probably end up with the 20. This is pretty far off though. One thing that's odd about my amp is as I play it longer and it warms up I feel like t actually gets worse sounding, like more dark, muddy and not defined on the dirty channel. Now this could have something to do with ear fatigue or something but I don't know, I get turned off after about 20-30 minutes on the dirty channel. Plus the clean channel has very little headroom, I have to roll back on the guitar volume which then sacrifices a bit of what I want from the tone wise. I was using my Fender amp for cleans but now that has yet another problem so I'm back to using only the Blackstar.
Greg_L

Re: Hey JDOD - a Blackstar discussion

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:40 am

As for me I really want a Friedman Runt,
Lol. That is a huge step up. Do it. That's like going from Rosie O'Donnell to Margot Robbie.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, the first thing I did was upgrade from the original speaker (Rocket 50) which was shit, to a Vintage 30. That made significant improvements, but it still sounded a bit muddy - like it was under a blanket, I ended up dialing it in with the bass and mids down at about 9 O'Clock and the Treble up at 3 O'Clock... then I added the EQ pedal to sculpt it further and there was more improvements.

It was still a little on the thin side though and not quite there. That was partially 'cos I had left the EQ on the amp as I had previously dialed it in.
I've made some more improvements in the last couple of weeks but I haven't recorded it yet.

Gonna plod on with the amp like this for a little while and see what i can get out of it until I can afford a bigger cab to try that. I don't think there's an amp in my price range that I want. The furthest I could possibly stretch is a Victory or smaller Marshall, but I'll have to get a cab first anyway and that will give me much more options on amps.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I didn't know who Margot Robbie was but yes I concur lol. Just gotta save up for a while and stop spending on pedals. Luckily I'm done in that department for hopefully a long time. In the past month I've spent like $740 on pedals, and I know what you're gonna say lol. I would have been more than halfway to an amp that's for sure. My gear spending habits has never been great.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:11 am Yeah, the first thing I did was upgrade from the original speaker (Rocket 50) which was shit, to a Vintage 30. That made significant improvements, but it still sounded a bit muddy - like it was under a blanket, I ended up dialing it in with the bass and mids down at about 9 O'Clock and the Treble up at 3 O'Clock... then I added the EQ pedal to sculpt it further and there was more improvements.

It was still a little on the thin side though and not quite there. That was partially 'cos I had left the EQ on the amp as I had previously dialed it in.
I've made some more improvements in the last couple of weeks but I haven't recorded it yet.

Gonna plod on with the amp like this for a little while and see what i can get out of it until I can afford a bigger cab to try that. I don't think there's an amp in my price range that I want. The furthest I could possibly stretch is a Victory or smaller Marshall, but I'll have to get a cab first anyway and that will give me much more options on amps.
try a lower gain tube in the pre for that dirty channel
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:44 am try a lower gain tube in the pre for that dirty channel
I've considered it, not high on the list right now though. Part of me wants to just buy a cab, see what its like and then start testing amps... but there's also another part of me that just has this grim determination to get the sound out of this amp that I want.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I kind of feel like you shouldnt have to work too hard to get the sounds you want from an amp, especially when your just talking about clean and overdrive. Thats kind of why Ive given up on mine, its close to what I want, not bad at all but I know I can do better.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:37 pm I kind of feel like you shouldnt have to work too hard to get the sounds you want from an amp, especially when your just talking about clean and overdrive. Thats kind of why Ive given up on mine, its close to what I want, not bad at all but I know I can do better.
I agree. If you're spending months and months and $$$$ on tweaks and mods and fixes and work-arounds just to make an amp usable, you have the wrong fucking amp.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I pretty much agree BUT ....
1. a preamp tube is cheap ..... 10-15 bucks and if it made all the difference, wouldn't you feel silly for the time spent?

2. ... being able to use different tubes is one of the cool things about a tube amp.

To say, "No ..... I want it to work like I want with the tubes that are in it" is similar,IMO, to saying, "my new guitar is hard to play but I don't want to put different strings on it ..... I want it to play great with the 11's that came on it!"

I'm NOT a tube-roller ...... I think the differences between different brands are largely overblown.
But this is different ..... a lower gain tube is more like going to a different guage string
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:39 pm I pretty much agree BUT ....
1. a preamp tube is cheap ..... 10-15 bucks and if it made all the difference, wouldn't you feel silly for the time spent?

2. ... being able to use different tubes is one of the cool things about a tube amp.

To say, "No ..... I want it to work like I want with the tubes that are in it" is similar,IMP, to saying, "my new guitar is hard to play but I don't want to put different strings on it ..... I want it to play great with the 11's that came on it!"

I'm NOT a tube-roller ...... I think the differences between different brands are largely overblown.
But this is different ..... a lower gain tube is more like going to a different guage string
Oh yeah, I totally agree with this. I wasnt saying you were wrong at all.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:39 pm I pretty much agree BUT ....

To say, "No ..... I want it to work like I want with the tubes that are in it" is similar,IMP, to saying, "my new guitar is hard to play but I don't want to put different strings on it ..... I want it to play great with the 11's that came on it!"

Agreed. A tube is simple. The only problem with a lower gain tube is...what if some other part of the amp uses half that tube for something else? Then that part of the amp might be wongo. I don't know. In a simple single channel prehistoric amp, a lower gain tube could do the trick. I don't know how a Blackstar is wired up, so it may not work well...or worse...it gets the gain in check but now the tone stack is fucked up or something.

My comment was more about all the fighting JD has done with his amp since the day he got it. He's been battling that thing for months.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:13 pm The only problem with a lower gain tube is...what if some other part of the amp uses half that tube for something else?
valid point and that is definitely possible so I would check that first.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Did anybody in that discussion recommend selling it and getting a Marshall?
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:00 pm Did anybody in that discussion recommend selling it and getting a Marshall?
Seems to me like that would be the obvious answer, but some people just have to be difficult. :robus:
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Pffft. Noobs.

If you don't have one of these:

you are just a poser with no skillz.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:42 pm Pffft. Noobs.

If you don't have one of these:

you are just a poser with no skillz.
Lol. I have an old bandit. Still play through it all the time. I even posted some tones in the old tone thread.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Havoc -1-1985.jpg
I had a little Peavey amp back in 1985.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.