Another mic locker thread

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
liv_rong

Another mic locker thread

Post by liv_rong »

I know we had the thread about adding new mics, but was kind of curious as to what everyone has and actually uses. Mics for me are kind of utilitarian and not a very exciting purchase. Even when I upgraded a thing here or there it wasnt a GAS purchase. Probably my kick mic was the best thing I ever did, only because I didnt have one before lol.

Mics I use often:
-sm57 (2)
-e604 (3)
-d6
-mxl 603 (2)

Mics not often used:
-AT2020
-es57 (3)
-e906
Bill L

Re: Another mic locker thread

Post by Bill L »

Mics I have and use often:
(6) Samson Q7 - less expensive than a SM58, better cancellation, just as sturdy. I use these mostly for live vocals, occasional guitar cabs, occasional percussion or drums
(1) Beta 52 for Kick drums
(2) SM57 for horns, percussion
(2) E 609 for all guitar cabs, harmonica amps, keyboard amps (if I'm not using a direct out)
(1) Oktava MK-012s stereo matched pair for overheads
or (1) Apex 185, SDC for overheads

Used less often:
(1) Rode NT1a for vocal tracking, horns or room ambiance (I hardly ever use room ambiance) used only in house/studio
(1) Oktava MK-013 same as above
(1) Beta 58 for live vocal mics (I usually use the Q7 unless otherwise asked)
(1) SM58 knock off that I got for $40 when I just needed additional mics. I hardly ever use this mic. Very mid-low end heavy. Much more low end hyped than a 58
(1 kit) Digital Reference drum kit set(includes kick, 4 drum and 2 overheads). I usually use 1 of these for micing the snare because it's small. If I do mic a floor tom, and assuming it's a large diameter floor tom, I'll use the kick drum mic from this kit for it. That's what I used on the live tracked tune I put up in the tone thread earlier.
(1) Senn E 835 I don't use this all that much because I'd rather use the Samson Q7's

There may be a couple of more mics laying around but I'm pretty sure that's everything I use regularly.

Still wanting to acquire a Shure SM7B, I'd like a couple of the Senn E 906's, and a couple of the Senn 421's. I had been wanting a D 112 but in all honesty I don't think I really need one. If hard pressed I bet I could make a fist full of SM58's/57's (or Samason Q7's) sound good enough on a drum kit in a live situation that I think it'd just be a waste of money.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I bulked up on mics in order to record drums, then promptly moved to a house where I've yet to set up a space to play or record drums. Same with guitar amps. So my "used less often" list is pretty long these days. I still pull some of them out, dust them off, and use them for this and that. Mostly I'm recording vocals, acoustic instruments, voiceover, and the occasional piece of hand percussion.

Used often:
(2) Shure SM81
(1) Lewitt LCT 440
(1) Shure WL-183

Used less often:
(2) Shure SM57
(1) Sennheiser MD-421
(1) Audix i5
(1) Audix D6
(1) Avantone CV-12
(1) MXL 990
(2) MXL 991
(1) Neewer NW800 :D LOL

I've been a huge fan of the SM81s over the few years that I've had them. They're good at just about everything, although their super flat response doesn't flatter much of anything. The Lewitt is my new favorite mic for vocals and acoustic, it's just stellar considering its cost.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'll look up that Lewitt. I use a cheap Focusrite bundle pack condense for vocals.
rayc

Post by rayc »

In condensor land I have a Behringer C1, a Focusrite that came with the solo kit, an AT2020, two tiny little Naiant ones - one with a micro tube and two Sony Electret 19bs from 1971.
Dynamics - a 57, a 609, a L'Grange (which sounds great on live vocals), a couple of Beyerdynamics and a small bundle of obscure/ridiculous MIJ stuff all the way to a Crystal powered mic.
I USE the 57 & 608 on guitar cabs, the 2020 on vocals and, recently, the Naiant Microtube jobbie on acoustic.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: ↑Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:54 am In condensor land I have a Behringer C1, a Focusrite that came with the solo kit, an AT2020, two tiny little Naiant ones - one with a micro tube and two Sony Electret 19bs from 1971.
Dynamics - a 57, a 609, a L'Grange (which sounds great on live vocals), a couple of Beyerdynamics and a small bundle of obscure/ridiculous MIJ stuff all the way to a Crystal powered mic.
I USE the 57 & 608 on guitar cabs, the 2020 on vocals and, recently, the Naiant Microtube jobbie on acoustic.
Yeah, that's the same Focusrite mic I have, think it's called CM20. It doesn't seem too bad actually. Bit noisy, but works well enough. The next mic i get will probably be something vocal specific though.

Aside from that I just use either an Audix i5 or SM57 on my cab and a C1000s on acoustic.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

This is an area I really need to add to if I'm gonna do the real drum thing, but it'll probably be a while...I've already upgraded my interface as the first step, so I can just pick up a mic here/there until that time comes...

Here's the mics I have:
  • Shure SM57
    Audix i5
    Sennheiser e609
    Carvin CTM100
    Behringer CO1
    Samson C1
Most of the time, I leave all 3 dynamic mics set up (somewhat) in the ISO cab which keeps the dust off of 'em without putting them away in their case, & pretty much makes it plug-n-play...I'm hoping to be able to leave the drum mics set up all the time so that will be somewhat plug-n-play too...

The i5 has been my go-to mic for guitars for quite a while, but the e609 has been seeing more use lately...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

SM57 x 2
PG57
SM58
SM7b
MD421
i5
MXLR144
e609
AT2020
D6
D2 x 2
D4
ADX51 x 2
CAD 7pc drum mic kit thing
Lots of old Radio Shack cheapos
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

LOL - I have 4 mics

SM58 x 2 (for live vocals)
Aston Origin (for recording vocals)
Focusrite CM20(for collecting dust)

Maybe gonna buy a dynamic to record a guitar amp

I have a few more at school for live performances but they're really not in "my locker"
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

musicturtle wrote: ↑Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:11 pm LOL - I have 4 mics
Beats me by 1! :)

SM57
E/V C09
Blue Spark

However, I just may get this (Sennheiser e 602) for xmas - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... r-e-602-ii. As a plus, it's on sale right now.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

JD01 wrote: ↑Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:58 am I'll look up that Lewitt. I use a cheap Focusrite bundle pack condense for vocals.
I'm a big fan. I'm probably still in the honeymoon phase with it, so take my avid recommendation with a grain of salt. But I really do like that mic. It's the same capsule as their more expensive mics, just without the bells and whistles that make their other mics more expensive. I guess that's why they gave it the "PURE" designation. It's just a no-frills version of their high-dollar mics. No pad, no multi-pattern, no lo-cut. Just a nice capsule in a simple housing.
rayc wrote: ↑Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:54 am In condensor land I have a Behringer C1, a Focusrite that came with the solo kit, an AT2020, two tiny little Naiant ones - one with a micro tube and two Sony Electret 19bs from 1971.
I was really surprised at the C1, given that it costs $50. It's a little noisy, which was a problem when stacking lots of vocal tracks (nothing a carefully configured gate couldn't remedy), and they falsely advertise it as a large diaphragm condenser (it's definitely small diaphragm). But the high end lift and otherwise flat response was surprisingly pleasing to me.

How are the Naiant mics? I remember those being all the rage on HR several years ago. It was a regular member that was making and selling them, wasn't it?
Greg_L wrote: ↑Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:01 pm SM57 x 2
PG57
SM58
SM7b
MD421
i5
MXLR144
e609
AT2020
D6
D2 x 2
D4
ADX51 x 2
CAD 7pc drum mic kit thing
Lots of old Radio Shack cheapos
Do you generally use the Audix D- mics on toms, or the SM57/i5? I've always been curious about those D2/D4 mics, seeing how much I love my D6 on kick. Although using it on kick is kind of a distant memory for me at this point, I do remember loving it quite a bit.

I have a few more at school for live performances but they're really not in "my locker"
Hey that Aston Origin is getting rave reviews from what I've seen. I found one on FB Market for $100 but as soon as I inquired about it, the seller went off the radar. I really wish I'd had a chance to buy that thing for such a good price.
SweetDan wrote: ↑Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:20 pm Beats me by 1! :)

SM57
E/V C09
Blue Spark

However, I just may get this (Sennheiser e 602) for xmas - https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... r-e-602-ii. As a plus, it's on sale right now.
Not a bad budding collection at all! :)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: ↑Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:31 pm

Do you generally use the Audix D- mics on toms, or the SM57/i5? I've always been curious about those D2/D4 mics, seeing how much I love my D6 on kick. Although using it on kick is kind of a distant memory for me at this point, I do remember loving it quite a bit.

Yes, the D2s and D4s on toms....although I use another kick mic on the 18" floor tom. The Audix "D" mics are voiced really good for toms. I'm not a huge fan of the 57 for toms, but it'll do.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Tadpui wrote: ↑Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:31 pm How are the Naiant mics? I remember those being all the rage on HR several years ago. It was a regular member that was making and selling them, wasn't it?
Tad,
here's a thread about them...
Naiant Mics
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lol. The CM20 is my only vocal mic!
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Tadpui wrote: ↑Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:31 pm Hey that Aston Origin is getting rave reviews from what I've seen. I found one on FB Market for $100 but as soon as I inquired about it, the seller went off the radar. I really wish I'd had a chance to buy that thing for such a good price.
I bought the Origin about a year and a half ago, I like my voice through it. I think I paid around $250 for it, which is a lot to spend for me but I think I used gift cards to pay for most of it.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:16 am

Yep, and you probably noticed I have zero mics for amps and cabinets.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

musicturtle wrote: ↑Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:01 am
JD01 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:16 am
Yep, and you probably noticed I have zero mics for amps and cabinets.
You can probably get away with an SM58 without a problem.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

musicturtle wrote: ↑Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:01 am Yep, and you probably noticed I have zero mics for amps and cabinets.
JD01 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:02 pm
The SM58 is an SM57 with a big round head.
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:18 pm
musicturtle wrote: ↑Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:01 am Yep, and you probably noticed I have zero mics for amps and cabinets.
JD01 wrote: ↑Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:02 pm
The SM58 is an SM57 with a big round head.
Thats what I thought. I was gonna try it with the head taken off. Looks just like a 57 that way.