How to get gigs

Weekend warriors or full-timers, if you perform live we want to hear about it!
Post your pics or videos, tell us about your gear and how you set it up! (or how that red head jumped up on stage just as your wife walked in) Every gig has a story please share them here.
musicturtle

How to get gigs

Post by musicturtle »

So Monday morning at my school my team(me, the art teacher, librarian and PE teachers) were tasked with putting on a morning social activity for the rest of the staff. The kids are roller skating in gym class so the rest of my team thought it would be a good idea to have a morning skate/hot cocoa bar for the adults in the school. I told them I would not be skating but I would hook up the PA and sing and play Christmas carols with my guitar. It went over real well, in fact the next day a teacher approached me and said "You sounded really good yesterday, do you do weddings?" I said "Absolutely!"

Never know where business is gonna come from :)
Lt. Bob

Re: How to get gigs

Post by Lt. Bob »

my gigs come from other gigs ..... I have 26 4-hour gigs in Dec., about 20 in Jan.

And one reason I work a lot is that I never turn down a gig ...... and that's exactly what you've done here .... take everything that comes your way and you could end up like me ..... overworked!
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:32 pm my gigs come from other gigs ..... I have 26 4-hour gigs in Dec., about 20 in Jan.

And one reason I work a lot is that I never turn down a gig ...... and that's exactly what you've done here .... take everything that comes your way and you could end up like me ..... overworked!
Thats how I build my diary for years. In recent times I have pulled back from it as it was killing me and its not my main source of income. I still get asked a lot but definitely not as much as before...
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

musicturtle wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:44 pm So Monday morning at my school my team(me, the art teacher, librarian and PE teachers) were tasked with putting on a morning social activity for the rest of the staff. The kids are roller skating in gym class so the rest of my team thought it would be a good idea to have a morning skate/hot cocoa bar for the adults in the school. I told them I would not be skating but I would hook up the PA and sing and play Christmas carols with my guitar. It went over real well, in fact the next day a teacher approached me and said "You sounded really good yesterday, do you do weddings?" I said "Absolutely!"

Never know where business is gonna come from :)
Congrats MT!! thats pretty awesome! I hear the wedding signer gig is a pretty good one If you got the chops and cna handle a bazillion drunk bridesmaids....... :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees: :like:
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Exposure and opportunity. If a musician isn't seen or heard then a DJ will be the default mode for "functions".
Cheers
rayc