So, if effects pedals are snake oil, I'm getting lots of practice wrangling snakes

DIY Studio Stuff
SweetDan

So, if effects pedals are snake oil, I'm getting lots of practice wrangling snakes

Post by SweetDan »

I mentioned in another thread I really liked the sound of a few pedals I built arranged in a certain order (a boost pushing a fuzz), and that I was trying to learn enough electronics theory to be able to combine the two circuits into one. I've been puttering away at that project for a few months, and I've finally gotten to a tangible result: a working pedal with that combined effect circuit. Pics below, tones forthcoming (have to put away the soldering iron, wire clippers, etc., clear off the table, get set up for recording, etc.).

First, the essential bit: the circuit. This isn't actually the first working version, which was on a breadboard. But it is the first version which could be installed into an enclosure:
circuitComplete.jpg
Wiring things off the board onto bits and pieces in the enclosure is my least favorite thing to do, so I built the circuit with the vol/tone pots soldered to the circuitboard itself:
circuitCompleteBackside.jpg
Lots of work up to this point, but these are the all the major parts ready to be connected:
partsPreWiring.jpg
When starting to wire things up, one of the first things to do is to get the small, fiddly bits out of the way. Specifically, the indicator LED, and a couple small connections to pins on the foot switch:
indicatorLed.jpg
powerToIndicatorLed.jpg
switchShortWires.jpg
Leaving your enclosure looking like this:
wiringStart.jpg
(With that, I'm going to start a 2nd post in this thread for the rest of the pics; don't know how much longer my luck w/attachments will hold out...)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
SweetDan

Re: So, if effects pedals are snake oil, I'm getting lots of practice wrangling snakes

Post by SweetDan »

(...continuing...)

You have to connect 4 wires off the board to various things in the enclosure (+9V power, input signal, output signal, and ground), and then on top of that make some some other connections (so the foot switch can do its job):
moreWires.jpg
But eventually you get to this point where all the wires are in place, and now you just have to solder it all together:
wiringReadyToSolder.jpg
Hopefully, when the solder fumes have cleared, your view looks like this:
workingPedal.jpg
(and sounds like...yeah, right, I'll get to the sound clips later.)

As in my previous DIY pedal builds, I've left the graphics until long after I get the thing working, so I'll (probably) post at least one more photo too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
Greg_L

Re: So, if effects pedals are snake oil, I'm getting lots of practice wrangling snakes

Post by Greg_L »

Dude that is awesome! Very impressive. What does the little trim pot do? Do you bias a clipping stage or something?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Well done, Dan. Show us how it sounds when you're happy with it.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

awesome ..... your own design ..... that's way cool
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Man that is amazing dude. good job. I can't wait to hear that thing and see how it actually works. Very cool.
:happytrees:
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Thanks, everybody. Here's something to listen to:
boostedFuzzCircuitInAPedal.mp3

Answers to questions:

The trim pot is the equivalent of the volume control component of the boost pedal (recall this all started with discovering a boost run into a fuzz made neat sounds). When trying to munge the two circuits together, I tried to compute what value of simple/single resistor to put in its place, but it never came out right. (My understanding of the theory, and therefore the calculations, were probably wrong, but whatever.)

I asked an EE friend about this, and rather than getting into the theory, he suggested I simply put a trim pot with the same resistance value as was in the original boost circuit. I was fine with that, since trim pots are only a little more expensive than resistors ($0.03 vs $0.01) and since I don't really intend for it to be adjusted anyway. (But if anybody else uses the pedal and finds out about that, it can be kind of an Easter egg for them.)

No, it doesn't really bias the 2nd stage. Turning it up and down while playing affects the overall sustain of the effect (full up = maximum sustain), as well as adding a bit more harmonic saturation (for lack of a precise word) to the sound (extra wiggly bits in the waveform, which go away the more you turn the trim pot down).
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Wow that's a nice fuzz. Fuzzy without being fizzy. Very well done!
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

EXCELLENT - taking thought to effect.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Well done, Dan. That is a good Fuzz actually.
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:23 am Fuzz actually.
Cheers
rayc
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Speaking of actualities, I *actually* made 4 of these things; 1 to keep, 3 to rotate around to friends, acquaintances, whoever would like to try one out. Of the prototypes, two I've already got plans for, but if any of y'all want to try one out for a few weeks, PM me about it, and we can arrange shipment.

I do need to decide on a name first, though, since I'd like to get the graphics finished before I distribute them. My choices so far are:
    Froth
and
    Spikey Joe
("Joe" like coffee...hence the cream/brown colors)

Votes on those names? Suggestions?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Dan, I'm sure there's plenty of North American rebels that will borrow it off you and pass it round.

Don't think Froth is a good name for a Fuzz. How about you call it Trouser Moustache.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Fine & Dandy.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

You got any other pedal plans? Flangers, phasers, delays?
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Damn dude this is badass! I disagree with JD and like Froth!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Dang, that sounds pretty darned good!

Aren't you in the Denver area? I have a newfound love for fuzz pedals, and it might be cool to swap stories over a beer sometime.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I actually think Froth describes its sound pretty well.

I also like how you have the footswitch being Tiggers nose.

I found it very smooth and creamy sounding ...... not as aggressive as 'spiky'.

I think that into a crunchy sounding amp would be a wonderful lead tone.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

JD01 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:07 am ...Don't think Froth is a good name for a Fuzz. How about you call it Trouser Moustache.
I don't know...["Trouser Moustache"] sounds like it's bordering on some term you'd find at urbandictionary. (Of course, when I went to urbandictionary to see if "froth" was in there, the result was...not fit for polite company. [Trouser Monster is in the urbandictionary too.] Now I don't know what name to use... :cry: )

rayc wrote: ↑Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:14 pmFine & Dandy.
That would be handy.

Greg_L wrote: ↑Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:19 pm You got any other pedal plans? Flangers, phasers, delays?
I've started a delay from an existing schematic/layout (I wouldn't dream of attempting to design something like that yet...maybe never). Got some stuff wrong on the board I soldered and it didn't make a sound, fixed one cold joint, so now it passes audio, but something else is goofy in that it goes into infinite feedback if I have the "repeats" knob turned up more than 1/8 turn or so, so I've got more debugging to do on that circuit. I was looking through sites where layouts/schematics are posted today for easy-looking tremolos.

liv_rong wrote: ↑Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:48 pm Damn dude this is badass! I disagree with JD and like Froth!
:nyuk:

Tadpui wrote: ↑Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:05 pm Dang, that sounds pretty darned good!

Aren't you in the Denver area? I have a newfound love for fuzz pedals, and it might be cool to swap stories over a beer sometime.
Not far, and yes, sounds like fun.
Last edited by SweetDan on Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:54 pm I actually think Froth describes its sound pretty well...
Me too, that's part of the idea behind the names I've got already. Kind of like the bubbles around the edge of your coffee cup when you first pour it.
Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:54 pm ...I found it very smooth and creamy sounding ...... not as aggressive as 'spiky'.

I think that into a crunchy sounding amp would be a wonderful lead tone.
The coffee idea is also the inspiration behind "Spikey Joe", with "spikey" being that it has a bit of extra kick, extra strong, lots of caffeine. I haven't tried it into a dirty (modeled) amp setting yet...I still get lost in the sound of it turning the clean amp sound into a hot, sludgy mess. :)
Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:54 pm I also like how you have the footswitch being Tiggers nose.
Completely unintentional (but funny now that I see it), and the graphics I posted up there are just sketches of what the final version might look like. But maybe that could be the name -- "Tigger's Nose". Hmmm....