MuttPups take to the road..

More bark, more bite, more licks for your tone. Get your custom wound pickups from "Mutt's dog house", our resident hound and luthier extraordinaire...

Moderator: muttley

muttley

MuttPups take to the road..

Post by muttley »

OK guys, first off a massive thanks to all you guys who have helped me through the proof of concept stage of the Mutt*Pup story. Without you all buying and trying and feeding back and letting me know what you think it would have taken a longer to reach this point. The clips and tunes have been immensely helpful and saved a lot of leg work and time for me.

So whats next you all ask? In the new year Mutt*Pups (or a variation on the brand) will be hitting the road with a view to getting them out in the market on a broader and wider platform. I have a guy doing some leg work for me in the local area and also planning a marketing and sales push some time in 2019. We are still in the formulation stage so all options are still on the table. Initially it will be a staged project where we test the markets and expand on what I already do. I have options to train up a few people and we plan to release a range of vintage style pups along with a few off the wall styles cosmetically.

I will still continue to offer bespoke handwound pups to order as the premium line and you guys will still get the pups at cost and beer.

As you guys have been integral to establishing the unique tone that Mutt*Pups offer I am turning to you lot again with a series of questions seeking opinion and comment.

First off. Lets put together a list of what pups you would like to see offered? Lets limit it to a choice of 5 or 6 for now.

My initial thoughts are... No wait, I aint gonna say yet, lets see how it chimes with what you have have to say. Also what else would be good to get the thing off the runway and in the air? USP's, competitive advantages? Just plain old good ideas?

Have at it and thanks to you all once again.
JD01

Re: MuttPups take to the road..

Post by JD01 »

I definitely think you should offer my bridge pickup. The 10.5K one, its modern sounding and I think being a little hotter, it will be really popular - I also think it sounds fucking great.

My neck pickup, while I like it, might not be for everyone. I specifically wanted it to sound stratty when split, which it has achieved well, but that's a very specific requirement.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I think the pickup market is already grossly oversaturated with hot metal pickups and people are stuck on standards. So maybe don't dip your toes too deeply into that world.

Anything else is fair game. In my indie/punk rock world, people don't know that much about pickups. They just play what they buy. So how do you crack those people? I think maybe promote stuff as "upgrades over stock". And use the vintage angle. Vintage is smoking hot. Strat and Tele pickups would be good to do. Teles are on fire right now. Teles everywhere.

I really like the pickups you've made for me, but I don't know that they're for everyone. Very few people have my discerning taste and attention to finer details of guitar tone. :D

But yeah, the G90 should be the cornerstone of your entire P90 range. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

The G90 is definitely in there. As well as Bubba's original B90 (similar but bucker footprint).

I'm pretty certain that most of the range will reflect a vintage vibe. The only possible exception would be the twin rail "Ripper" I did for miner, those are turning out to be quite a killer with strat players here and also on some custom builds.

Tele stuff is in there.

I guess I need to narrow down further and pick maybe just a few options for each popular footprint. Bucker, P90, Tele, Strat, and then expand it to have the smaller lines like the other fender stuff and mini buckers and TV Jones style. Even then its gonna be a dozen models in possibly three colour options. Thats a lot of stock..
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:39 pm The G90 is definitely in there. As well as Bubba's original B90 (similar but bucker footprint).

I'm pretty certain that most of the range will reflect a vintage vibe. The only possible exception would be the twin rail "Ripper" I did for miner, those are turning out to be quite a killer with strat players here and also on some custom builds.

Tele stuff is in there.

I guess I need to narrow down further and pick maybe just a few options for each popular footprint. Bucker, P90, Tele, Strat, and then expand it to have the smaller lines like the other fender stuff and mini buckers and TV Jones style. Even then its gonna be a dozen models in possibly three colour options. Thats a lot of stock..
Oh yeah, I forgot about Miner's Strat Rail thing. That came out good.

TV Jones/Filtertron style would be good with those folks too.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

muttley wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:39 pm OK guys, first off a massive thanks to all you guys who have helped me through the proof of concept stage of the Mutt*Pup story. Without you all buying and trying and feeding back and letting me know what you think it would have taken a longer to reach this point. The clips and tunes have been immensely helpful and saved a lot of leg work and time for me.

So whats next you all ask? In the new year Mutt*Pups (or a variation on the brand) will be hitting the road with a view to getting them out in the market on a broader and wider platform. I have a guy doing some leg work for me in the local area and also planning a marketing and sales push some time in 2019. We are still in the formulation stage so all options are still on the table. Initially it will be a staged project where we test the markets and expand on what I already do. I have options to train up a few people and we plan to release a range of vintage style pups along with a few off the wall styles cosmetically.

I will still continue to offer bespoke handwound pups to order as the premium line and you guys will still get the pups at cost and beer.

As you guys have been integral to establishing the unique tone that Mutt*Pups offer I am turning to you lot again with a series of questions seeking opinion and comment.

The G90 is definitely in there. As well as Bubba's original B90 (similar but bucker footprint).

Tele stuff is in there.

Cool beans Mutt...I can't really add anything you or the rest of the guys haven't already mentioned with what you're gonna offer, except maybe custom colors, with the price reflected by that...I don't know how much more doing that would cost you & dunno if it'd be worth it, but it's just a thought...I'm sure there are a lot of folks out there that would pay extra for purple/pink/whatever pickups...

Something else is maybe have some stickers with your logo on 'em...I have no idea how much it would cost to actually do that, but if it wasn't too much, you could add a little to your prices to cover it & have 'em included when somebody buys a pickup...You might even offer to sell just the stickers too, there are a lot of guys who like stuff like that...

I'd be willing to do more/better clips, with more reviews for you if you'd want...You've made a believer out of me with your skills & absolutely great sounding pickups...

Gimme a holler/lemme know Mutt, I'd do about anything to help with this because the pickups you made for me are phenomenal...You put in a lot of time, a lot of hard work, all while taking care of your family & juggling everything else in this crazy ride we call life, so you more than deserve to have this be successful...
muttley wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:39 pmI'm pretty certain that most of the range will reflect a vintage vibe. The only possible exception would be the twin rail "Ripper" I did for miner, those are turning out to be quite a killer with strat players here and also on some custom builds.
I don't know if the "Ripper" would be considered as having a vintage vibe or not, but if it's possible I think you should include it too...Again, I don't have a clue on any of this stuff other than the end results are great, so it may not pay off for you to include the "Ripper"...Maybe have it in your "custom" offerings??? Just a thought...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Just to let you guys know that this is still on going. I met with my guy this week and we are meeting with some possible outlets later in the week.

We've decided that to start we stick with what we know so all you guys will have your pup recipes in the starting line. The G90 as captain of the team and bubbas b90 also in there. The buckers will be headed by JD's Bucker with miners bucker crossed a bit with gergs for the vintage fans. Miners twin rail ripper is headlining the single coil footprint with a standard strat set also in there. I'm gonna be asking you guys for some clips and toons in the new year and also how best to credit you all...

There will also be some fullertrone and TVJones styles in there as a tester. Colours will be black or cream. All other options available special order...
muttley

Post by muttley »

...and the tele set will be same as the set I have in mine. If any one has a tele that they can get some decent soundclips out of then let me know and I will try and get a set to you... I am not geared up for recording right now with a major house remodel also happening in the new year.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I've been buried in stuff lately, but I'm amassing a bunch of clips and songs that have your pickups all over them. I'll get em to you soon.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

No worries man, I know you guys will pull through for me. Thats what great about us all here..
rayc

Post by rayc »

Unreal Mutt.
Expertise and quality finally hit the market together.
Cheers
rayc
muttley

Post by muttley »

UPDATE: Ive got a meeting with a guy next week to push a plan forward with this. We are aiming for a release date in the early spring.

If any one has any clips and tone samples or fantastic reviews that I may have missed let me have them. Also let me know if there is anyway I can help you guys out on the promotion thing when it comes about. I'm more than happy to link back or credit where appropriate, whatever, and would be happy to host/sell downloads via my website if any one wants the opportunity. Let me know if there is any way I can drive some interest your way...

The key areas I'm currently focused on are.. Branding, packaging, promotion so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. I've only ever sold the full guitar in the past so selling parts is all new to me.

Happy New Year guys, its gonna be mutt-licious one.
muttley

Post by muttley »

...... I'm definitely thinking that I should do a Roll of Honour for you guys when this thing gets going. Some thing in the promotion, packaging and on the website..
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Mutt, your pickups are on all of my recordings. Whatever you want I can render them out for you.

They're brilliant pickups.
muttley

Post by muttley »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:14 am Mutt, your pickups are on all of my recordings. Whatever you want I can render them out for you.

They're brilliant pickups.
Cheers man. Will be in touch.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Hey Mutt, this new thing I did only has Mutt Pups all over it. If you want an MP3 or the individual tracks, just let me know.

Left channel and center/lead guitar are the PAF-buckers you made for my Les Paul.
The right channel is the dog-ear P90 you made for the Junior.
All of it through loud ass Marshalls.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:15 am Hey Mutt, this new thing I did only has Mutt Pups all over it. If you want an MP3 or the individual tracks, just let me know.

Left channel and center/lead guitar are the PAF-buckers you made for my Les Paul.
The right channel is the dog-ear P90 you made for the Junior.
All of it through loud ass Marshalls.
You aced it again man. Will definitely like to use that on the site. Will be in touch...