Recording Challenge #1 (Two Chord Wonder)

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
liv_rong

Re: Songwriting challenge

Post by liv_rong »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:48 pm OK I slept on it. And I'm not gonna sweat it over all of the things that are still wrong with it :)

It's another short entry, recorded (almost) entirely on a Behringer UMC404HD that I'm trying out. So the skeleton of this song will show up in a video in the near future. Actual real drums on this one, which is why it kinda sounds like my rhythm section is a little drunk and not in sync with each other. I started to edit the drums a bit to get rid of the worst of the timing errors but I got bored with that real quick.

My two chords are A and G.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/r9z ... wn-003.mp3

A long, straight road
A story you’ve been told

Sun-warmed skin and hair blowing in the wind
You’re driving out west because you listened to your friend
Lay your jean jacket down across your knees
Because the sun will go down eventually

Vanishing point in the road
Go now, just go!
Man, that was great! Great vibe and fun sounding.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yeah, that's a surprising amount of depth out of 2 chords, Tadpui!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

rayc wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:36 pm Great to hear Tad.
Fun pop with Kazoo guitar fuzz.
Thanks Ray :) Yeah, that fuzz is pretty powerful. It got even a little more drastic when I doubled and panned it. It's a fun pedal to play through! Maybe less fun to listen to though :)
musicturtle wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:54 pm Good work man. I like the main riff. Very catchy.

And yes mine was 2 chords E minor and C major or a i - VI progression. Not typical I guess, but it's what came out.
Thanks MT!

I liked the two chords on yours, and the time signature added to the mystique. I start drooling if I try to play outside of 4/4. I wrote a 5/4 riff a couple of years ago just to see if I could. I damn near had an aneurysm while trying to record it.
Greg_L wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:32 pm Ha that was great! Good work. Didn't even seem like a two chord song. Love the fuzz too.
Thanks Greg! The fuzz was one of the circuits on the Muffuletta and an old Boss octave pedal (OC-2 maybe? I can't remember. It's the brown one). Together they're a lot of fun to play through. The octave give is a little somethin' that I like a lot.
liv_rong wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:04 pm Man, that was great! Great vibe and fun sounding.
Thanks a bunch Liv! It was a lot of fun to make. And the confines of the 2-chord challenge was a great motivator.
vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:05 pm Yeah, that's a surprising amount of depth out of 2 chords, Tadpui!
Thanks Steve, much appreciated!

We should do this stuff more often.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Is this done now? Should we move on to something else? New challenge?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:11 pm Is this done now? Should we move on to something else? New challenge?
I've still got my incomplete song which I need to finish the vocals on.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:41 pm
Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:11 pm Is this done now? Should we move on to something else? New challenge?
I've still got my incomplete song which I need to finish the vocals on.
New challenge would be cool. But people can still add to this...the two chord idea is great creative practice I think.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Actually..... I was rifling around and while it isn't new by any stretch of the imagination i did find a recording me and my buddy did way back in 2001. did it on a four track after a night out.

Would it break any rules to upload it to the challenge? it is literally just A my bastard d chord followed by my left handed cheater lazy ass g chord.

It is also not good.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

A new challenge could be a modern cover of a song written before 1950.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:52 pm

Actually..... I was rifling around and while it isn't new by any stretch of the imagination i did find a recording me and my buddy did way back in 2001. did it on a four track after a night out.

Would it break any rules to upload it to the challenge? it is literally just A my bastard d chord followed by my left handed cheater lazy ass g chord.

It is also not good.
Do it. Or maybe......redo it!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:12 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:52 pm

Would it break any rules to upload it to the challenge? it is literally just my bastard d chord followed by my left handed cheater lazy ass g chord.

It is also not good.
Do it. Or maybe......redo it!
You know we probably could. He just recently, bought a new outboard mixer thing that attaches to his ipad. I think running Auria? Aria? I can ask him to join in here too. i think we'd all be useless helping him because he is a tablet daw guy. but we shall see. Do any of us use a tablet for a daw?

I'll post up my old track for shits anyways as long as it doesn't offend anyone.

i am guitars and back up vox. 2 chords. Pretty pissed and doing our best Simon & Garfunkle impression. two radio shack microphones into a fostex or roland multiracker thing. someone added a shit load of verb when it got transferred to digital.
Polaroid-Camera.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:25 pm

You know we probably could. He just recently, bought a new outboard mixer thing that attaches to his ipad. I think running Auria? Aria? I can ask him to join in here too. i think we'd all be useless helping him because he is a tablet daw guy. but we shall see. Do any of us use a tablet for a daw?

I'll post up my old track for shits anyways as long as it doesn't offend anyone.

i am guitars and back up vox. 2 chords. Pretty pissed and doing our best Simon & Garfunkle impression. two radio shack microphones into a fostex or roland multiracker thing. someone added a shit load of verb when it got transferred to digital.

Polaroid-Camera.mp3
Lol awesome. It sounds like it could be a [mention]vomitHatSteve[/mention] production.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:34 pm

Polaroid-Camera.mp3
Lol awesome. It sounds like it could be a @vomitHatSteve production.
:lollers2: :happytrees: :coolstorybro:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Polaroid-Camera.mp3

Nice man. It does have a late sixties stream of consciousness to it.

I have an iPad at school I use Garageband on to record with. I have a Focusrite dock/interface that works well. I was gonna put Cubasis on it so I could transfer tracks from home and school more easily but buying apps for a school owned machine is a pain.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:34 pm Lol awesome. It sounds like it could be a @vomitHatSteve production.
See, I was getting more of a Suicide Van vibe from it.

I didn't even use my Radio Shack mic for mine! I don't know what brand of cheap 1/4" mic I used, but it wasn't Radio Shack. :D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Here's my A&G song. I recorded a vocal on Wednesday night :) there's the occasional bit of guest backing on there.
Looking back over this I'd totally forgotten about the interlude and guitar solo - I was well surprised when I heard them again.
2 Chord Song.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:29 pm Here's my A&G song. I recorded a vocal on Wednesday night :) there's the occasional bit of guest backing on there.
Looking back over this I'd totally forgotten about the interlude and guitar solo - I was well surprised when I heard them again.

2 Chord Song.mp3
Shit JD thats a tidy clean effort man! It just kind of grooves on. Everything sounds pretty dead on. Nice cleanish tones, crispy drums. Very good!

That little bridge back and forth with the lad is right good. i love it. I'd go so far as to maybe tighten that vocal bit up and bring it up a little!!!!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

the "backing vocal" after the chorus was an accident - it just landed there and I thought it sounded funny.

I don't think I'll do much more work on this, if any, that's just two straight vocal takes. I could edit them for the best bits and redo the mistakes and stuff. There's a couple of autotuned bits on there 'cos I didn't have the time to go back and redo lines there. I was pretty busy when I recorded that!

Cheers though, Shan. Are you going to post one? Maybe a simple song about procrastinating and never getting around to recording?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:33 pm the "backing vocal" after the chorus was an accident - it just landed there and I thought it sounded funny.

I don't think I'll do much more work on this, if any, that's just two straight vocal takes. I could edit them for the best bits and redo the mistakes and stuff. There's a couple of autotuned bits on there 'cos I didn't have the time to go back and redo lines there. I was pretty busy when I recorded that!

Cheers though, Shan. Are you going to post one? Maybe a simple song about procrastinating and never getting around to recording?
I posted an older one a few posts back. I took some advice given here to redo it and that's a great idea. I wanted to do it with the guy who originally did it with me as he just got a bunch of new stuff for home diy stuff. Still yet to get back to me? He sent me a pic of his gear and that was the last i heard. Might possibly be struggling with it a bit? however, I have no idea cause homeboy checks his messages like once a month it feels like. I could do it alone but it would just feel wrong.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:29 pm Here's my A&G song. I recorded a vocal on Wednesday night :) there's the occasional bit of guest backing on there.

2 Chord Song.mp3
Yay you did it! Is that your baby in there? Pretty funny. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:04 am

2 Chord Song.mp3
Yay you did it! Is that your baby in there? Pretty funny. :coolstorybro:
Yeah, I was holding him while I recorded the vocal. I was hoping he'd pitch in with some backings.

In case you hadn't noticed the song is about YouTube virtuosos who are amazing guitarists but have no audience cos it's so boring so they just get really angry.

Ironically given the subject, the best bit of the song is the guitar solo.