Recording Challenge #1 (Two Chord Wonder)

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
Greg_L

Re: Songwriting challenge

Post by Greg_L »

Is anyone doing this?

Mine's written. I haven't tracked it yet.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, mine's written and partially tracked. Need to work more on the vocal and the Mixolydian solo.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I'm mulling it over still. I'm trying to get ahead of recordings for the next two albums.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Mine is written, gonna be a few weeks before I can track. Busy as hell time of year for me.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

God damn, I may do another one since everyone is taking so long lol.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Time to play the "why is my DAW blue screening" game!

That is to say, don't hold your breath for my submission.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Alright! PC 1 of 3 is up and running! Depending on band practice, I'll probably have at least 2 working tomorrow (which is the DAW, so I could start recording again!)
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Ok, felt like working on something this afternoon so I did this. Just like the last one I just kind of built it as I went along. The guitar you hear first was the base of it then the distorted guitars, then I added drums, then the 2nd guitar part then the bass last. I was pretty happy with the distorted guitars until I heard jdud's latest, then I felt like a piece of shit. The transition to the "heavy" part at the end is all sloppy but fuck it, this is it lol. Also I did not tune up my toms.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:41 pm Ok, felt like working on something this afternoon so I did this. Just like the last one I just kind of built it as I went along. The guitar you hear first was the base of it then the distorted guitars, then I added drums, then the 2nd guitar part then the bass last. I was pretty happy with the distorted guitars until I heard jdud's latest, then I felt like a piece of shit. The transition to the "heavy" part at the end is all sloppy but fuck it, this is it lol. Also I did not tune up my toms.
Not bad. I think I like this better than your other two-chord song. It's more....straightforward. But not boring. Good drums. Probably one of the better drum recordings I've heard from you, non-tuned toms and all.

Without knowing your gear too well, I think your cab might be the problem with the gainy tones. I think you use a 1x12? It kind of sounds like it. Those are tough to deal with for big heavy tones.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

As for my own two chord song....it's in the demo phase. It's all written, arranged, scratch tracked, etc. I just need to track it for real now.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:08 am
liv_rong wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:41 pm Ok, felt like working on something this afternoon so I did this. Just like the last one I just kind of built it as I went along. The guitar you hear first was the base of it then the distorted guitars, then I added drums, then the 2nd guitar part then the bass last. I was pretty happy with the distorted guitars until I heard jdud's latest, then I felt like a piece of shit. The transition to the "heavy" part at the end is all sloppy but fuck it, this is it lol. Also I did not tune up my toms.

Not bad. I think I like this better than your other two-chord song. It's more....straightforward. But not boring. Good drums. Probably one of the better drum recordings I've heard from you, non-tuned toms and all.

Without knowing your gear too well, I think your cab might be the problem with the gainy tones. I think you use a 1x12? It kind of sounds like it. Those are tough to deal with for big heavy tones.
Thanks, Greg. It is a 2x12 actually. I think my main problem is down to placement and amp settings. I never really mess around with the mic too much, in the past just recorded a little, listened back and readjusted. This time around I moved the mic around as a loop was playing while wearing headphones. Problem was it’s loud lol.

Leading up to that when I was doing the first guitar I heard a weird clipping/distortion. At first I thought it was stuff vibrating around hatbwas sitting in the cab but removing that stuff didn’t solve it. Next I moved to the mic cable barely touching the cab, then thought it was the speaker, mic stand, I even changed mics (this is my first go with the e906. After all that I realized it was my fucking headphones. So I ordered a pair of Direct Sound isolating headphones which should help.

I’m going to record progression with drums and bass and all and use it to figure this shit out in the tone thread.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:00 am

Thanks, Greg. It is a 2x12 actually. I think my main problem is down to placement and amp settings. I never really mess around with the mic too much, in the past just recorded a little, listened back and readjusted. This time around I moved the mic around as a loop was playing while wearing headphones. Problem was it’s loud lol.

Leading up to that when I was doing the first guitar I heard a weird clipping/distortion. At first I thought it was stuff vibrating around hatbwas sitting in the cab but removing that stuff didn’t solve it. Next I moved to the mic cable barely touching the cab, then thought it was the speaker, mic stand, I even changed mics (this is my first go with the e906. After all that I realized it was my fucking headphones. So I ordered a pair of Direct Sound isolating headphones which should help.

I’m going to record progression with drums and bass and all and use it to figure this shit out in the tone thread.
Yeah okay. 2 x 12. Good. So you have good enough gear to get killer tones, so it's gotta just be you. Lol. No problem, that's what the tone thread is for. We can figure it out.
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Well here is a demo(will retrack vocals for sure and some other things probably) of my two chord song was having trouble with lyrics so I looked up poems about nature and found this by Henry David Thoreau that is in public domain.

The Thaw
I saw the civil sun drying earth’s tears —
Her tears of joy that only faster flowed,

Fain would I stretch me by the highway side,
To thaw and trickle with the melting snow,
That mingled soul and body with the tide,
I too may through the pores of nature flow.

But I alas nor tinkle can nor fume,
One jot to forward the great work of Time,
‘Tis mine to hearken while these ply the loom,
So shall my silence with their music chime.

Probably the weirdest song I have ever written, but I wanted to play around with time sigs and such in my DAW and writing so here is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

musicturtle wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:28 pm Well here is a demo(will retrack vocals for sure and some other things probably) of my two chord song was having trouble with lyrics so I looked up poems about nature and found this by Henry David Thoreau that is in public domain.

The Thaw

Probably the weirdest song I have ever written, but I wanted to play around with time sigs and such in my DAW and writing so here is.
Nothing wrong with this MT. Mission accomplished. I don't even know that your vocals need to be re tracked in all honesty. What you have here works great. even the guitar sounds good. if anything a polishing on the mix might be all you really need. the vocals seem to kind of come up above and the nback below the acoustic track here and there. that's the only thing i can really pick up on.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

musicturtle wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:28 pm Well here is a demo(will retrack vocals for sure and some other things probably) of my two chord song was having trouble with lyrics so I looked up poems about nature and found this by Henry David Thoreau that is in public domain.

The Thaw

Wow that is weird. I almost thought you cheated. I was like wait that's more than two chords! But it's so weird and creepy that it hides the fact that it's just two chords. You nailed it.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

The Thaw

Sounds good, nice work! I downloaded it too and was playing drums along to it.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Thanks guys...I will do the vocal again, just me being anal I guess.

Greg...yeah I said it was weird...its mostly in 6/8 with the 5/8 riff thrown in there between the lyrics. Then 7/8 for the ending part.

Liv...I tried to program some drums with it but just kept sounding fake to me.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

musicturtle wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:18 am

Liv...I tried to program some drums with it but just kept sounding fake to me.
Did you do this to a click? If so what’s the bpm?
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:19 pm
Did you do this to a click? If so what’s the bpm?
Yes I did use a click...90 bpm
rayc

Post by rayc »

That's nicely Trippy Liv - I enjoyed it.
Last edited by rayc on Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc