Recording Challenge #1 (Two Chord Wonder)

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
Greg_L

Recording Challenge #1 (Two Chord Wonder)

Post by Greg_L »

I'm challenging myself to write a song that uses only two chords. That's it. No variations. Two chords. And make it and/or the mix interesting.

If yall want in, let's do this shit. Try it. Instead of trying to be all fancy and shit, use two fucking chords and see how you do. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Re: Songwriting challenge

Post by Tadpui »

I've done it a few times. My chops aren't exactly developed when it comes to chord progressions, and there's something about going from a chord, then a full step down from that chord that just keeps grabbing my attention. I've been having to consciously avoid doing that because every time I hum a melody in my head and then take it to the guitar, it's always that same damn pattern. I've made it work a few times though, with varying degrees of success.

But I'd be happy to try it again!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:48 pm I'm challenging myself to write a song that uses only two chords. That's it. No variations. Two chords. And make it and/or the mix interesting.

If yall want in, let's do this shit. Try it. Instead of trying to be all fancy and shit, use two fucking chords and see how you do. :coolstorybro:
I'm in! I was actually gonna suggest the reverse of this a little while ago. I was gonna select an obscure scale and see if we could all write a song in it to see what we came up with - Maybe leave that one a few months.

Two chords is just as interesting a challenge in that respect though... I've already got a bit of an idea in my head about how I'm going to go about this.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'm about to break the seal on the kids' annual Christmas song, so I'm gonna work on my two-chorder during the same "sessions" before I pack the drums up for my big Christmas show. So mine might be ready fairly soon.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I'm in! Sounds fun. Do we want to have a deadline? Or should we just post it up when its complete? Also a question, what do you mean by no variations? And if you have second guitar Im guessing it has to be playing those same two chords or notes from those chords? I dont know music lol.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

There's some great songs out there that are basically 2 chords. Feelin' Alright, Use Me (Bill Withers), Don't Do It (Temptations, The Band) and a whole bunch more I don't remember at the moment. This could be fun!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:34 am I'm in! Sounds fun. Do we want to have a deadline? Or should we just post it up when its complete? Also a question, what do you mean by no variations? And if you have second guitar Im guessing it has to be playing those same two chords or notes from those chords? I dont know music lol.
Mine is going to be a two chord progression... it may/will have riffs over it. And they may swap to being the other way around for the chorus or whatever... I haven't written/arranged it at all, I just have an idea in my head.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:34 am I'm in! Sounds fun. Do we want to have a deadline? Or should we just post it up when its complete? Also a question, what do you mean by no variations? And if you have second guitar Im guessing it has to be playing those same two chords or notes from those chords? I dont know music lol.
I'm thinking....two chords. No variations.

For example....don't use a Cmaj and an Em and try to sneak in an Emaj7 or something just because it also starts with "E". No bridging variations of one of your chosen chords. Alternate fingerings and chord positions are fine, but it's gotta be the same two chords.

Two. Chords.

Post it when you finish it. No contest. No deadline. Just whatever whenever.
Last edited by Greg_L on Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:49 am

I'm thinking....two chords. No variations.

For example....don't use a Cmaj and an Em and try to sneak in an Emaj7 or something just because it also starts with "E". No bridging variations of one of your chosen chords.

Two. Chords.

Post it when you finish it. No contest. No deadline. Just whatever whenever.
I dont know what any of that means lol.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:50 am

It means....two chords.

Like say your two chords are E maj and A maj. Ok? It generally sounds natural and flowing to play an E major, stick in a quick E7, and then go to A maj. It just works. But that's a no. That E7 is against the rules. That's a third chord. If the E maj and A maj are your chosen chords, that's what you use and nothing else.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:53 am
liv_rong wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:50 am

It means....two chords.

Like say your two chords are E maj and A maj. Ok? It generally sounds natural and flowing to play an E major, stick in a quick E7, and then go to A maj. It just works. But that's a no. That E7 is against the rules. That's a third chord. If the E maj and A maj are your chosen chords, that's what you use and nothing else.
lol, dude I literally have no idea about music theory, chord names or anything. But I get your point, just two chords. But to my second question, what about leads over those two chords?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:58 am

lol, dude I literally have no idea about music theory, chord names or anything. But I get your point, just two chords. But to my second question, what about leads over those two chords?
Lol. Just use two fucking chords! I don't know much music theory either, so it's not like I can call you out even if you did cheat. I'd notice glaring deviations from two chords, but sneaking in an extra note to change the chord might escape by neanderthal ears.

Yes, leads that work over the chords are fine. Great. Do it. You know JD is gonna metal shred megaphrygian all over that shit. But the basis and root of the song needs to be two chords.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

LOl this will be good.
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

You know your note names, right?

Figure out what notes are in your two chords, and only play those notes.

Say you decide on Gmaj and Cmaj (i.e. the standard G and C open chords on a guit). You have G, B, D, G, B(or D), G in the former and E, C, E, G, C, E in the latter. You could play G and C power chords and barre chords all day long without bending the rule. But if you try to throw an F into one of those chords, you will shame your family forever.

I have a number of songs on the go right now, but I'll see if I can sneak this in at some point.

Obnxoxiously, I'm working on a ludicrously simple "round" song, which would be a great candidate if it weren't 3 chords!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:43 pm
You know your note names, right?

Figure out what notes are in your two chords, and only play those notes.

Say you decide on Gmaj and Cmaj (i.e. the standard G and C open chords on a guit). You have G, B, D, G, B(or D), G in the former and E, C, E, G, C, E in the latter. You could play G and C power chords and barre chords all day long without bending the rule. But if you try to throw an F into one of those chords, you will shame your family forever.

I have a number of songs on the go right now, but I'll see if I can sneak this in at some point.

Obnxoxiously, I'm working on a ludicrously simple "round" song, which would be a great candidate if it weren't 3 chords!
No man, I dont know notes. I mean I can tune a guitar, so I now those notes :facepalm2:

I do get the idea though of what you guys are trying to explain. I have my stuff tracked already, and it turned into something different than I thought(no surprise there I guess). Now I just gotta add some bass and drums.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've made an unexpected start on my 2 chord song and its nothing like I expected it to be either.

Its ended up being full on 70s weed smoking mustache music.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I guess Im done, not at all what I intended and the low end on this sucks, muddy and no definition. I almost started over with something else but figured I might as well challenge myself and finish this damn thing since this was the point of the whole exercise lol.

As for structure, the first part is two chords with a lead line thing over it, its almost like the lead part is playing triplets over the strummings 4/4. Not sure if that's actually whats happening but that's how it sounds to me. The entire second part all three guitars are playing the same chord, just picking or strumming differently through different pedals and the buildup to the third part is all one chord. The last part is just one track of my new fuzz pedal and bass. At the end Im just twiddling knobs while the guitar feeds back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:33 pm I guess Im done, not at all what I intended and the low end on this sucks, muddy and no definition. I almost started over with something else but figured I might as well challenge myself and finish this damn thing since this was the point of the whole exercise lol.

As for structure, the first part is two chords with a lead line thing over it, its almost like the lead part is playing triplets over the strummings 4/4. Not sure if that's actually whats happening but that's how it sounds to me. The entire second part all three guitars are playing the same chord, just picking or strumming differently through different pedals and the buildup to the third part is all one chord. The last part is just one track of my new fuzz pedal and bass. At the end Im just twiddling knobs while the guitar feeds back.
Ha very nice! Two chords and I wasn't bored at all. Cool tones and textures and shit. Now put some words on it.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:18 pm
Ha very nice! Two chords and I wasn't bored at all. Cool tones and textures and shit. Now put some words on it.
Thanks man. No words for this guy, I dont sing. Or write lyrics. Just instrumentals. That's my life.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote:I guess Im done, not at all what I intended and the low end on this sucks, muddy and no definition. I almost started over with something else but figured I might as well challenge myself and finish this damn thing since this was the point of the whole exercise lol.

Dude that was pretty gnarly. I enjoyed that ride. Out standing

Curious though. How long did it take you do that?
:happytrees: