Recording Challenge #1 (Two Chord Wonder)

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
vomitHatSteve

Re: Songwriting challenge

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Nice! I notice everyone's two chord songs are very short.

Who's gonna bust out the 12-minute prog 2-chord song?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

The best songs are short songs.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:17 pm The best songs are short songs.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW6ykueIhX8[/BBvideo]
:happytrees:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

musicturtle wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:01 am Final version for my two chorder. This was fun.

Nice! I dig the acoustic and cadence of the whole thing. I wish I could sing. (I thought I posted earlier, I know I listened, must not have it submit!)
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:16 pm Nice! I dig the acoustic and cadence of the whole thing. I wish I could sing. (I thought I posted earlier, I know I listened, must not have it submit!)
Thanks Liv :coolstorybro:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I haven't listened to the entries yet, but I'm a-cookin up somethin' myself. Once I've actually heard my own idea out loud, I'll come back and listen to the awesomeness that you fellas have come up with.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Alright! I finally finished mine!

The token ballad from my fake punk release that comes out whenever I decide to release it.

Recorded entirely to tape. 1 take.
Calling ACAB.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:43 pm Alright! I finally finished mine!

The token ballad from my fake punk release that comes out whenever I decide to release it.

Calling ACAB.mp3
LOL - "Border wall cops..."

Cool man... what effect were you running on your guitar?
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Thanks, MT!
That's a cheap piezo pickup taped into the guitar through a Smokey amp through a splitter into one cab which is made from a ceiling PA speaker in a cardboard box and this cab.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:02 pm Thanks, MT!
That's a cheap piezo pickup taped into the guitar through a Smokey amp through a splitter into one cab which is made from a ceiling PA speaker in a cardboard box and this cab.
Me and a mate of mine played a few open mics at uni with him playing acoustic and me playing electric through a smokey amp that we actually stuck inside the body of the acoustic. It actually didn't work too badly.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Calling ACAB.mp3
Love it. Well done. Mall cops are indeed bastards.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Calling ACAB.mp3
Cool! Nice energy and cool idea splitting the signal like that.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

The simplest of signal splitting! i.e. Playing an acoustic through a very quiet amp and micing the room!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:33 pm I guess Im done, not at all what I intended and the low end on this sucks, muddy and no definition. I almost started over with something else but figured I might as well challenge myself and finish this damn thing since this was the point of the whole exercise lol.

As for structure, the first part is two chords with a lead line thing over it, its almost like the lead part is playing triplets over the strummings 4/4. Not sure if that's actually whats happening but that's how it sounds to me. The entire second part all three guitars are playing the same chord, just picking or strumming differently through different pedals and the buildup to the third part is all one chord. The last part is just one track of my new fuzz pedal and bass. At the end Im just twiddling knobs while the guitar feeds back.
I like this quite a bit. They're two interesting chords! And I like your tight snare sound. I'm listening on headphones where my own mixes always sound thin on the low end, but this sounds full. I like the electric textures and the chaos in the latter half. This actually sounds pretty awesome in headphones.
liv_rong wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:41 pm Ok, felt like working on something this afternoon so I did this. Just like the last one I just kind of built it as I went along. The guitar you hear first was the base of it then the distorted guitars, then I added drums, then the 2nd guitar part then the bass last. I was pretty happy with the distorted guitars until I heard jdud's latest, then I felt like a piece of shit. The transition to the "heavy" part at the end is all sloppy but fuck it, this is it lol. Also I did not tune up my toms.
I like this one too. Yeah, that transition is choppy and abrupt but that's ok. I hear a little Explosions In The Sky in this. That was a fun listen.
musicturtle wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:28 pm Well here is a demo(will retrack vocals for sure and some other things probably) of my two chord song was having trouble with lyrics so I looked up poems about nature and found this by Henry David Thoreau that is in public domain.

Probably the weirdest song I have ever written, but I wanted to play around with time sigs and such in my DAW and writing so here is.
Well done! The goofy time signature keeps it interesting and tumbling forward. I agree with the comments above, that it doesn't come off as a 2-chord song. So I think that's a big win within the constraints of the challenge. Nice job, dude.
Greg_L wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:42 pm Okay here's my two chord song. It's short, it's dumb - it's autobiographical.

As the challenge specifies, it's only two chords - Amaj and Dmaj. I tried to break the monotony with raw power and arrangement.

Damn, your drums are assault weapons! That snare. Just a big YES to everything about this. The 2-chord structure really lends itself well to the punk ethos. Great job as always man. That was just a lot of fun.

Calling ACAB.mp3
Hahaha WHO HURT YOU?!? Do we need to go on the prowl like some sort of Recording Rebels version of West Side Story and bust some heads down at the precinct?

I got a genuine chuckle out of it. I thought it was perfect in its simplicity.

Anyways fellas, I'll post mine in the next day or two. I've just gotta sleep on it after getting the last tracks added today. I've learned the hard way to let it rest and come back to it at least once before pulling the trigger after tracking. Nice work, everybody. This thread was a lot of fun to finally work my way through. We've got a good bunch of Rebels here.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:52 am

Damn, your drums are assault weapons!
Lol, That's probably the greatest compliment I've ever gotten. Thanks. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

1+1 is still cool.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

OK I slept on it. And I'm not gonna sweat it over all of the things that are still wrong with it :)

It's another short entry, recorded (almost) entirely on a Behringer UMC404HD that I'm trying out. So the skeleton of this song will show up in a video in the near future. Actual real drums on this one, which is why it kinda sounds like my rhythm section is a little drunk and not in sync with each other. I started to edit the drums a bit to get rid of the worst of the timing errors but I got bored with that real quick.

My two chords are A and G.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/r9z ... wn-003.mp3

A long, straight road
A story you’ve been told

Sun-warmed skin and hair blowing in the wind
You’re driving out west because you listened to your friend
Lay your jean jacket down across your knees
Because the sun will go down eventually

Vanishing point in the road
Go now, just go!
rayc

Post by rayc »

Great to hear Tad.
Fun pop with Kazoo guitar fuzz.
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:48 pm OK I slept on it. And I'm not gonna sweat it over all of the things that are still wrong with it :)

It's another short entry, recorded (almost) entirely on a Behringer UMC404HD that I'm trying out. So the skeleton of this song will show up in a video in the near future. Actual real drums on this one, which is why it kinda sounds like my rhythm section is a little drunk and not in sync with each other. I started to edit the drums a bit to get rid of the worst of the timing errors but I got bored with that real quick.

A long, straight road
A story you’ve been told

Go now, just go!
Good work man. I like the main riff. Very catchy.

And yes mine was 2 chords E minor and C major or a i - VI progression. Not typical I guess, but it's what came out.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:48 pm OK I slept on it. And I'm not gonna sweat it over all of the things that are still wrong with it :)

A long, straight road
A story you’ve been told

Go now, just go!
Ha that was great! Good work. Didn't even seem like a two chord song. Love the fuzz too.
Rebel Yell