Recording Challenge #1 (Two Chord Wonder)

Community Challenge! Pretty Self Explanatory! Our users challenge each other to to recording showdowns. Challenges never expire! Though it is encouraged to strike while the iron is hot! All in the name of fun!
Greg_L

Re: Songwriting challenge

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:16 am
Yeah, I was holding him while I recorded the vocal. I was hoping he'd pitch in with some backings.

In case you hadn't noticed the song is about YouTube virtuosos who are amazing guitarists but have no audience cos it's so boring so they just get really angry.

Ironically given the subject, the best bit of the song is the guitar solo.
It's weird how youtube celebrity has become a thing. :facepalm:

I don't understand how some of these fools get hundreds of thousands of subscribers.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:20 pm
JD01 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:16 am
Yeah, I was holding him while I recorded the vocal. I was hoping he'd pitch in with some backings.

In case you hadn't noticed the song is about YouTube virtuosos who are amazing guitarists but have no audience cos it's so boring so they just get really angry.

Ironically given the subject, the best bit of the song is the guitar solo.
It's weird how youtube celebrity has become a thing. :facepalm:

I don't understand how some of these fools get hundreds of thousands of subscribers.
And they're the good ones!!! The song is aimed at the (probably) many more who are shredding away in complete obscurity.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:26 pm
And they're the good ones!!! The song is aimed at the (probably) many more who are shredding away in complete obscurity.
They need to stay there.
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:29 pm Here's my A&G song. I recorded a vocal on Wednesday night :) there's the occasional bit of guest backing on there.
Looking back over this I'd totally forgotten about the interlude and guitar solo - I was well surprised when I heard them again.

2 Chord Song.mp3
Cool man...got a little Ted Nugent Stranglehold to it in the middle.

Good work :coolstorybro:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers mate. I've never really heard ted Nugent but I'll look it up.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:25 pm

i am guitars and back up vox. 2 chords. Pretty pissed and doing our best Simon & Garfunkle impression. two radio shack microphones into a fostex or roland multiracker thing. someone added a shit load of verb when it got transferred to digital.

Polaroid-Camera.mp3
Man, sorry missed this, this is pretty cool dude! You should definitely re-do.
JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:29 pm Here's my A&G song. I recorded a vocal on Wednesday night :) there's the occasional bit of guest backing on there.
Looking back over this I'd totally forgotten about the interlude and guitar solo - I was well surprised when I heard them again.

2 Chord Song.mp3
Nice work there, sir :illdrinktothat:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:29 pm Cheers mate. I've never really heard ted Nugent but I'll look it up.
I bet you've heard this:

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c3d7QgZr7g[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I47floRRAFs[/BBvideo]
SweetDan

Re: Recording Challenge #1 (Two Chord Wonder)

Post by SweetDan »

(Late to the party on this one...over a year late, but it wasn't until today inspiration finally struck. Maybe it's that new delay pedal I just got...)

Here's a rough mix of some scratch takes of a two-chord thing I noodled up today. There's more parts comped together here than actually played through, but I think as an idea it has legs. (It would need lots of practice, much cleaner playing, more inventive soloing, and much better recording and mixing technique than is displayed, but there it is.)

spreadDelayedGtrs_scratchMix.mp3
The drums, btw, were "recorded live", but really I just recorded a few hits on the kick and snare each, and comped the entire part together by copying/pasting the same few hits and ghost notes into an 8-bar pattern. Drum programming, but with my own samples...lol! There's not a single cymbal hit anywhere in there! [mention]vomitHatSteve[/mention] - you'll love that!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

SweetDan wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:15 am
The drums, btw, were "recorded live", but really I just recorded a few hits on the kick and snare each, and comped the entire part together by copying/pasting the same few hits and ghost notes into an 8-bar pattern. Drum programming, but with my own samples...lol! There's not a single cymbal hit anywhere in there! @vomitHatSteve - you'll love that!
Hah! Perfect!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

SweetDan wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:15 am (Late to the party on this one...over a year late, but it wasn't until today inspiration finally struck. Maybe it's that new delay pedal I just got...)

Here's a rough mix of some scratch takes of a two-chord thing I noodled up today. There's more parts comped together here than actually played through, but I think as an idea it has legs. (It would need lots of practice, much cleaner playing, more inventive soloing, and much better recording and mixing technique than is displayed, but there it is.)

spreadDelayedGtrs_scratchMix.mp3

The drums, btw, were "recorded live", but really I just recorded a few hits on the kick and snare each, and comped the entire part together by copying/pasting the same few hits and ghost notes into an 8-bar pattern. Drum programming, but with my own samples...lol! There's not a single cymbal hit anywhere in there! @vomitHatSteve - you'll love that!
That's pretty good dude. Turn it into something!
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Cool [mention]SweetDan[/mention]

I really like the rhythm guitar sound. I am with Greg, turn it into something, it has potential.