Drum Mics for Under £250 quid!

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
JD01

Drum Mics for Under £250 quid!

Post by JD01 »

I'm not quite there with this yet - too much going on right now, but the guys who are just getting into recording live drums (Sweet Dan, Minerman etc) might be interested in this. Seems very cheap and not too bad.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_tbone_dc4 ... &affid=200

Glenn Fricker demo:
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iq9GYj2_xU[/BBvideo]
Seems like he's very keen to get more people recording live drums!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Drum Mics for Under £250 quid!

Post by WhiskeyJack »

thats a pretty decent price. I think the last time i priced out a set of drum mics it was twice that. Luckily that was around the time Long and McQuade bought the local music shop back home and i could just rent them for the weekend.

Unrelated: I simply can't do Fricker anymore. Just can't. The video review of that mirror was it for me.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:19 pm thats a pretty decent price. I think the last time i priced out a set of drum mics it was twice that. Luckily that was around the time Long and McQuade bought the local music shop back home and i could just rent them for the weekend.

Unrelated: I simply can't do Fricker anymore. Just can't. The video review of that mirror was it for me.
Didn't see that one.

There a no "comedy" in this one. It's just a straight 5 min demo of a set of cheap mics
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:19 pm

Unrelated: I simply can't do Fricker anymore. Just can't.
Me neither. He and those andertons guys are absolutely unwatchable for me now.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Fricker has become unwatchable when he's trying to be funny and doing his angry comedy routine. His demo and tutorial stuff like this is fine though cos he's not injecting his comic rants into it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I can still watch the Anderson guys. I am over Fricker though. not to discredit his skills and knowledge i just can't sit through his videos anymore. I cringe a little and feel sad for him.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, Andertons put out heaps of content now. Some good, some shite. Lee Andertons interviews with people are generally pretty good
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:03 pm I can still watch the Anderson guys. I am over Fricker though. not to discredit his skills and knowledge i just can't sit through his videos anymore. I cringe a little and feel sad for him.
He's fucking corny and lame. And that constant lame fucking hair flipping.... :facepalm:
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I still watch Fricker. The hair flipping intro that he uses sometimes is so cringe-worthy. It's pretty awful. But I still like most of his content, despite the metal music that it revolves around.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I can handle Fricker in small doses. I like Ryan Bruce, dig his riffs and mostly no nonsense videos.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

JD01 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:38 pm ...the guys who are just getting into recording live drums (Sweet Dan, Minerman etc) might be interested in this...
Those sound pretty good; thanks for the recommendation. Price is not bad, but I'd have to upgrade my interface too. :( Hence all my recent futzing about with 2-mic setups.

(Also, I really ought to be channeling my discretionary dollars to upgrade my teenage son's trumpet. He's probably a level or two past what the student model he currently has is capable of, and being held back somewhat by it.)
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
rayc

Post by rayc »

The YouTube brigade of demo/presenters etc. is seriously falling apart.
Manya re struggling to find topics tat are relevant to actual home recordists/players.
Fricker is a grating personality that a cult of lemon squeezers would have trouble diluting, Henning P has tried to expand into live in studio concerts and recover from his gitcon or whatever it was blow out and seems to also have moved into the more expensive stuff - though he did give a decent review for the cheapo Talkbox (still some near contractual obligation with Joyo/Harley Benton?).
The InTheBlues Aussie fellow is a twerp and has dived into cabsims.
Brett Kingman is spending all spare energy selling the AxeFx sims stuff (He's been absent a bit because he's touring with an Oz performer from the 80s - using the unit as his gig rig). Interestingly another, but more famous Oz guitarist - from the 70s to the late 90s with Finch, the Skyhooks then The Angels - has been touring Europe with a bastardized Rose Tattoo using the same rig - I can't believe hard, blues rock edging metal band with such a reputation for balls out music and toughness has a guitarist playing through a laptop. He's an excellent guitarist but ohhhh dear.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6Y_1CaebMk[/BBvideo]
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7uYNv-6pYk[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:40 am The YouTube brigade of demo/presenters etc. is seriously falling apart.
This. It's a fucking mess. I just can't watch any of that self-flagellating garbage anymore. I actually hate it. I watch a lot of tech-specific stuff, but no more gear reviews or demos from unfunny people trying to be funny.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:46 am It's a fucking mess. I just can't watch any of that self-flagellating garbage anymore. I actually hate it. I watch a lot of tech-specific stuff, but no more gear reviews or demos from unfunny people trying to be funny.
Yep, it become so hopeless that I spend my time watching old Uncle Doug vids and political channels.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:24 am
Yep, it become so hopeless that I spend my time watching old Uncle Doug vids and political channels.
Haha yeah I love Uncle Doug. That old man is terrific. I especially like that he builds and rebuilds some killer quirky weird amps, but he can barely play guitar so his "demos" of the amps is not him guitar-masturbating for twenty minutes. He bangs a few chords, tweaks the controls, and that's that. I just have no use for gear reviews - pedal and amp reviews probably being the worst of the bunch.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Music/Gear/Recording YouTube channels took a big nosedive when the YouTube ad restrictions kicked in. All the channels had their add revenue fall completely so a lot of them now just get a bit of gear given by a manufacturer and give it a glowing review for which their channel is monetized.

There's a new Boss Chorus pedal Dimension E or something and its popped up on loads of different channels lately - everyone going through all its settings in the same boring way trying to say nice things about it ('cos Boss have sent it to them) and trying to explain why its so much better than a normal Boss Chorus that costs half the price.

I suppose that's fair enough for the Anderton's guys - they are a shop and they're not trying to hide that! But there's loads of channels that used to just chat through various pieces of gear in a friendly, informative and relatively unbiased way which are now basically producing adverts for free gear... which I suppose you can't blame them for but it makes their content worthless.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Norman's Rare Guitars - Guitar of the Day.

That's literally the only guitar related youtube "show" I'll watch. No pedals, no torpedo reloads, no DAWs or sims. Just a guy, a vintage guitar, a brief history, plugged straight in at a music store, quick riffs through it's pickup configurations, done. They're not trying to sell me anything because I can't buy that stuff anyway. And it has nothing to do with the latest and greatest gear regurgitation. It's just an appreciation of vintage and/or rare stuff.
Rebel Yell