Bussing

A safe place for newbies. Stop in here to ask all your questions, no matter how silly they seem. Just don't ask us if you can sing!
Greg_L

Re: Bussing

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:20 pm
I may be very wrong in how i do it now reading through this thread, but i just inset and new track set it up to receive all the pieces of my drum kit and call it a day.
This. ^^^^

I don't know any other way to do it. It's simple.

I also don't do anything on the project screen. Nothing. All those left hand tracks next to the waveforms are nothing to me. I have them minimized down to nearly nothing. I run literally everything off the mixer control.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:20 am Lol. Wtf. All that for guitars?
Lol...And I thought I used a lotta tracks for a song...Holy fuck Jdude!!! :biggrin:

BTW, if you have your tcp (track control panel) collapsed too small horizontally you can't see the folder buttons...

Armistice wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:28 pm How I get to work when there's a train strike...
:cool: :lollers: :like:

Ok, to me, a "buss" would basically be a master volume for a group of instruments...I use Reaper, & I really don't know anything about Studio One, but I'm gonna guess most daw's are pretty similar...

In Reaper click on the track you want to be the "master" by clicking the folder button (it's in the track control panel, where the waveforms are), then figure out which you want to be the last track in the folder & click it twice...You can visually see the TCP change when you make a track a folder and/or the last track in that folder...That's just how I do it, I lump all my tracks in groups like guitars, bass, drums, reverb, etc...
Reaper Folder.PNG
You can do things with the send/return on each track, like turn the "master" off for individual tracks, where their output only goes through the folder, set up side-chains & things like that, but it's not a have-to thing...There really are no rules to all this stuff, if it sounds good, that's all that matters...
Alison wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:22 pm Okay, silly question but, can someone explain "bussing" to me? I have yet to find an explanation in plain English! :redface:
Trying to figure out exactly what it is good for!
Sorry I wasn't much help for Studio One, but I do see our Rebel resident SweetDan uses it & is on the ball here... :biggrin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:32 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:20 pm
I may be very wrong in how i do it now reading through this thread, but i just inset and new track set it up to receive all the pieces of my drum kit and call it a day.
This. ^^^^

I don't know any other way to do it. It's simple.

I also don't do anything on the project screen. Nothing. All those left hand tracks next to the waveforms are nothing to me. I have them minimized down to nearly nothing. I run literally everything off the mixer control.
I did just folders for a long time before I started messing with routing. The folder paradigm just seems intuitive to me. Tracks are folders / folders are tracks. Anything in a track cascades up to its containing folder.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I use studio one and have for almost 10 years. I use bussing similar to some of the guys above. I send all of my drum tracks to 1 drum buss. All vocals to another and the rest of the instruments to another. Usually I'm only mixing live gigs and don't have to worry about lots of guitars or vocal tracks but I would probably group them in a similar fashion (lead vocals grouped, backing vocals grouped).

My own opinion on recording these days is i think too many people spend too much time trying to make their DAW make stuff sound good rather than trying to get whatever they are trying to record to sound good. Most of the guys here spend a lot of time getting it right at the tracking phase whereas on the Presonus Studio One Facebook group I'm constantly amazed at the questions asked (and even more amazed at the responses). When I first started recording, I kept it as simple as possible and only after I got somewhat OK did I start to add more complicated things. I don't I even used busses until about 5 years ago. And the only reason I use them now is as a master fader for a grouping of instruments (and in some cases to add effects, like on my vocal buss).
rayc

Post by rayc »

I stopped reading because I was becoming confused and anxious.
For me, a simpleton with such things, I create a NEW track and SEND a bunch of related things to it remembering to turn off MASTER in the routing of those parts. With that new track I apply effects and automation that will have an impact on all that are sent to it.
USUALLY those groups, for me, are Drums, Rhythm Section (which incorporates Drums), Guitars &, finally, Vocals.
In this was I'm using, I think, the same structure as tracks going to the master/stereo bus.
Cheers
rayc
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

Perhaps this may make it easier to understand

Studio One Screen Shot 1.PNG
Studio One Screen Shot 2.PNG

All drums are in red, bass is yellow, guitars are green and vocals are blue. All busses are to the right, all effects are between the tracks and the busses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

ouuuuu. pretty.
:happytrees:
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Bill L wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:41 am ...Studio One Screen Shot 1.PNG
Studio One Screen Shot 2.PNG...
Looks familiar... :like:

Now, about your color selection though... :lollers2:
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

And since Bill posted screenshots of both views, while I was messing around with the gear tonight I grabbed another screenshot. First, the tracking view:

intoTheStorm_tracksView_screenshot.png

Perhaps with this view it will be clearer what I say when I'm talking about "mux"-ing a track (multi-plexing); for example, I really only have one lead vocal, but I've split it across three tracks so I can process the chorus differently than the verses, etc.

Then, just to save everybody from having to go back to page 1 of this thread, the previous screenshot:

awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:43 pm So am i the only one here who doesn't know how to use the folders and bussing in reaper.
I dont know anything. Maybe this is why my mixes are no good lol. I'm such a lazy person when it comes to learning how to do things but will spend more time doing it my way lol. I really should group my drums together, if I need them a touch louder or quieter Ill adjust each fader a hair either way making sure to do them all the same amount lol. God damn, typing that out makes it seem pretty bad :cuckoo: :facepalm2:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:10 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:43 pm So am i the only one here who doesn't know how to use the folders and bussing in reaper.
I dont know anything. Maybe this is why my mixes are no good lol. I'm such a lazy person when it comes to learning how to do things but will spend more time doing it my way lol. I really should group my drums together, if I need them a touch louder or quieter Ill adjust each fader a hair either way making sure to do them all the same amount lol. God damn, typing that out makes it seem pretty bad :cuckoo: :facepalm2:
I get that liv. A person just get's into a habit of doing things one way and thats what you know. And if it the only person ever picking apart what you do is .. you ?than who cares. If it is your own time and you are enjoying it then whatever.

Your mixes aren't bad either! fuck on out of here with that shit eh!
:happytrees: