Audix i5 or e906

General recording topics.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Audix i5 or e906

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Guys. Conundrum.

I have a chance to snag a new e906 for half price. Should i do this and wait to get an i5 later? I had planned on treating myself to an i5 as a present for the room reno but....

New e906 for half price now or wait and grab a i5 later.

Or do both just wait till the new year for the i5?

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

:happytrees:
Greg_L

Re: Audix i5 or e906

Post by Greg_L »

Both great versatile mics and both pretty affordable even at full price. If that deal doesn't last long, go with the e906 while you can.

Bonus for you...IMO the e609/906 loves Vintage 30s and Orange cabs. Good match.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Done. I read the same thing about the v30 and e906 combo.

Ill save my pennies and change for an i5 in the new year. Thanks dudes.

What a bargain!

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Late to the party, but the i5 is my favorite mic for guitar...But, I'd grab the e906 for half price now, then get the i5 later simply because of the $$$ you'll save...

You really can't go wrong with either, but again, I'd grab the e906 simply because of the price...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Everyone is blowing them out now for $100, I am going to grab one. I had a 609 for a while but never really liked
It all that much. I’ll give this a shot with my current rig and see how I like it at this price.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:30 pm Everyone is blowing them out now for $100, I am going to grab one. I had a 609 for a while but never really liked
It all that much. I’ll give this a shot with my current rig and see how I like it at this price.
Maybe not. I gotta think about this.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote:Everyone is blowing them out now for $100, I am going to grab one. I had a 609 for a while but never really liked
My buddy said sennheiser is doing a mic of the month thing that i thought was specific to the chain store here in canada. So perhaps it is a Sennheiser thing everywhere. 100 bucks is a steal liv. As soon as i hit semd on my OP here in thos thresd ot was a no brainer. Cost over time ill be able to get the 906 and i5 for roughly the price of just a non discounted e906.

Id do it liv.

Do it.

Do it.

Dooooooooooooooooo

Ittttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

JD01

Post by JD01 »

Sounds like a good deal. I love the i5, but it's cheap and you can pick one up any time.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Man, I'm still torn on this thing. I didnt like my 609, was a little harsh and thin to me, es-57's sounded better IMHO. It didnt do well with distorted guitar. That's why I sold it. But I know the 906 is different and most people think its better and it allegedly pairs well with v30's(as pointed out above). The price is pretty awesome so its worth checking out. Im thinking I can use it on the other speaker on my 2x12. But then I start to think maybe I should consider a different LDC or even a ribbon if I want to play around with two mics. Then I realize I cant even get good distorted tones with one mic lol! Ill think it over but I bet Ill end up ordering it, I know how I operate when it comes to buying gear, I'm weak and have no self control.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I find mic placement to be harder with the 609/906. It seems like it should be easy - it's flat, just stick it up against the cab. But it's big square width and height make it harder to aim than something pointy like a 57. If a half inch is enough to make a difference in mic placement (it is), and the face of a 609 is like four square inches, that's a lot of room for error or misjudgement. You can't see the capsule inside of the thing.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Well I pulled the trigger. If I don’t like it I won’t lose any money if I decide to sell it later. It’s not like they are discontinuing it, just an anniversary sale.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:36 pm Well I pulled the trigger. If I don’t like it I won’t lose any money if I decide to sell it later. It’s not like they are discontinuing it, just an anniversary sale.
Congrats liv. It'll be interesting to see how our mics play out. I think we both have orange cabs loaded with V30's Once i get set back up we could do some sort of tone thing to leave in this thread. or whatever.

I am itching to get using mine. I am crawling my way a little closer to having my space back. I may forgo the desk build and just work on it a little later. I can still use my little shitty desk i guess. Or go looking for one on the blackfriday sales. We shall see.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I really need to dial in a decent distorted tone. I can record what I think is good clean tones but I suck at distorted tones. I am too lazy mostly but I also can’t find the balance of what I like in the room vs what a mic hears.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:01 pm I can’t find the balance of what I like in the room vs what a mic hears.
Makes two of us, I am right there with you man. It takes time really. You'll get it in no time.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:01 pm I really need to dial in a decent distorted tone. I can record what I think is good clean tones but I suck at distorted tones. I am too lazy mostly but I also can’t find the balance of what I like in the room vs what a mic hears.
Get your ass in the tone thread and do some testing.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:35 pm
liv_rong wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:01 pm I really need to dial in a decent distorted tone. I can record what I think is good clean tones but I suck at distorted tones. I am too lazy mostly but I also can’t find the balance of what I like in the room vs what a mic hears.
:coolstorybro:

I can't say anything about posting tones, I've been a lazy ass-slacker the last while, even with a new attenuator & audio interface... :facepalm:

I promise to redeem myself tomorrow though, I've got a bunch of clips started with the new gear, I just gotta get it squared away & find out exactly how much/how many db's the attenuator drops the volume on both my amps using the daw's meters...I plan to post some clips with/without the "Boogercabra" attenuator to see what you guys think...

I'll post some clips using the line out on the attenuator a couple different ways too...

Liv: I find my e609 to be a little finicky about it's placement...I think what throws me off is where that mic is bigger than an i5 or '57, it makes it a bit harder to dial it in, especially if I'm using it for a "bright" mic...When I use that mic, 90% of the time, I use it for chunk/bottom blended with an i5 or '57...The e609 isn't my favorite mic though, it's not better or worse than my others, just different...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Minerman wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:37 am
Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:35 pm

:coolstorybro:

I can't say anything about posting tones, I've been a lazy ass-slacker the last while, even with a new attenuator & audio interface... :facepalm:

I promise to redeem myself tomorrow though, I've got a bunch of clips started with the new gear, I just gotta get it squared away & find out exactly how much/how many db's the attenuator drops the volume on both my amps using the daw's meters...I plan to post some clips with/without the "Boogercabra" attenuator to see what you guys think...

I'll post some clips using the line out on the attenuator a couple different ways too...

Liv: I find my e609 to be a little finicky about it's placement...I think what throws me off is where that mic is bigger than an i5 or '57, it makes it a bit harder to dial it in, especially if I'm using it for a "bright" mic...When I use that mic, 90% of the time, I use it for chunk/bottom blended with an i5 or '57...The e609 isn't my favorite mic though, it's not better or worse than my others, just different...
Good advice thanks. I didn’t like my 609, I’m
Hoping this ends up being liked.