Another DIY pedal on the way

DIY Studio Stuff
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Another DIY pedal on the way

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I can really see a difference SD. That is totally awesome.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

You're getting good at this, Dan.
What's next? Delay? Phaser?
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:09 pm I can really see a difference SD. That is totally awesome.
JD01 wrote: ↑Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:44 am You're getting good at this, Dan.
What's next? Delay? Phaser?
Thanks.

Yes, in fact, a delay is next on my list. This one: https://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/201 ... delay.html

I also discovered that the first two I built -- the fuzz and the supposed-to-be-overdrive-but-I-mucked-around-with-the-resistor-values-so-now-it's-a-cleanish-boost -- sound really good together, boost into the fuzz, so I'm trying to learn enough electronics theory to munge the two circuits together into a single circuit, and build a single pedal out of that.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Electronics is nothing short of sorcery i will never comprehend.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

I'm gonna call this one done:
1112181059a_cropped.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That's pretty!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Very nice!
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Looks nice!
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Thanks, everybody.

More tones; after hearing Minerman's clips with and without the attenuator, I thought to check where the adjustment knob was on my amp (since it has an attenuation control built in; 30W down to 1W, I think), just to see if there was such a drastic difference. Unfortunately, I don't think there is...still sounds about the same quality of tones I'm able to extract out of the gear I have; but something to listen to nonetheless. (Also, it wasn't a very closely controlled experiment, in that I wasn't super careful about matching the exact settings on the pedals as the previous clips.)

tele_noAttenuation.mp3
hbuck_noAttenuation.mp3
EDIT: the control on the experiment was even worse than I thought; 2" mic position in the clips on the previous page, but on the grille for these clips (at least both were the same mic(!), on-axis, and over the dustcap/cone seam); I really need to re-do this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Ok, some clips recorded at roughly the same mic position (SM57, on-axis, over dustcap/cone seam, ~2" from grille), without any amp attenuation. Maybe it makes a difference, maybe not (since it's a hybrid modeling amp, therefore mostly solid-state):
tele_mic2inches_noAttenuation.mp3
hbuck_mic2inches_noAttenuation.mp3

I play through some chords, then some solo lines. The tones progress as follows: clean, Champ clone pedal w/gtr vol rolled off, Champ clone pedal w/gtr vol full up, Boost+Champ w/gtr vol rolled off, Boos+Champ at full gtr vol.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Just finished building another one of these for a friend. Pics tomorrow when I can take better photos in the light...
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Inverted the colors: I had an unfinished aluminum enclosure in my parts drawer, but no red knobs. Same guts, though.
1214180802_scaled.jpg
1214180803_scaled.jpg
1214180804_scaled.jpg
1214180804b_scaled.jpg
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Very awesome!!!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Man SD. I don't wanna fluff you up too much but homeboy i am fucking impressed with this thread and everything you have done it. my hats off to you dude. very cool.