Overheads

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
liv_rong

Overheads

Post by liv_rong »

Will going from MXL 603's to something in the $250-500/pair range really make that much of a difference? Thinking about a few, but not really convinced. Some of them in that range have settings I dont care about nor will use, so why pay for that aspect? Even the mics that dont have extra features, is the improvement really that noticeable?

What should I be looking at or considering besides the NT5 in that range? Or is it not worth it?
Greg_L

Re: Overheads

Post by Greg_L »

I think the better the mic, the better your room needs to be, and the better everything else has to be. If you have an average room, use average mics. No sense in using killer mics that capture every terrible thing about the room.

You'd probably get more improvement from mic positioning than the mics themselves.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

So you’re saying my room and mic placement sucks lol.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:58 pm So you’re saying my room and mic placement sucks lol.
Lol. No. But have you really explored different mic placement?
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I’m just fucking around. But yeah I have changed my overhead positions and messed with my snare mic. I always kinda thought expensive mics wouldn’t do much for me. Maybe one day I’ll uave a higher ceailing and be able to get some better results.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:45 am I’m just fucking around. But yeah I have changed my overhead positions and messed with my snare mic. I always kinda thought expensive mics wouldn’t do much for me. Maybe one day I’ll uave a higher ceailing and be able to get some better results.
That's what I'm saying. Could better mics do better for you? Maybe. They might also get stuff you don't want. Drum overheads are picky as shit.

Do you ever use a bottom snare mic?
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:56 am
That's what I'm saying. Could better mics do better for you? Maybe. They might also get stuff you don't want. Drum overheads are picky as shit.

Do you ever use a bottom snare mic?
[/quote]

I did on my EP but wasnt all that happy with the snare sound on that. Im much happier with what Ive been doing now.