E-Drums

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
JD01

E-Drums

Post by JD01 »

Went to the shop to look at Gibsons this afternoon but ended up spending ages trying loads of e-kits.

Figured that even when I get my old acoustic kit set up in the attic it will be at least a year before I'm even close to both playing and recording anything approaching acceptable... and I won't be able to practice on an acoustic kit often enough to get any good (this was always a problem for me actually).

Anyway - after playing on loads of stuff... the really cheap stuff was shite, didn't feel like drums and I didn't feel like I was actually practicing playing a drum kit. Don't mind to much about the quality of the samples really as they're just something that needs to be acceptable for practice - if I record with it I'll likely use samples in EZ or Superior.

Based on what PMT have in stock, Roland and Yamaha, I sacked off the Yamaha stuff as basically not feeling like drums. The Roland stuff had these mesh heads that actually felt really good, had realistic "bounce" and weren't just dull bits of rubber. They had a kit called the TD17KVX which wasn't stupid money, felt good, had a decent enough and editable enough samples to be enjoyable, but most importantly the mesh heads felt good and you use it with real kick/hi hat pedals. Cymbals were a bit shite still... oh well.

Anyone have any experience of these? Anyone have any other bright ideas?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: E-Drums

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I have heard really good things about the Alesis Forge E-kit. When i was tossing around the idea of trying to learn drums that kit was recommended to my by a few drummers and I managed to try it out at a shop in Edmonton. While it didn't at all feel like a real kit it definitely didn't feel like it's cheaper or same price point counterparts from Roland that i tried. I believe it had the capability to utilize EZD and SD samples as well.

In the end i didn't get it simply because it was at that point of 2017 when my life got turned on it's end for work. I would definitely revisit it someday.
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Minerman and I both have a Yamaha DTX kit, although we've both modded ours so much that they're a whole other creature now :)

I agree, the rubber pads on the entry level Yamahas don't feel at all like a real kit. That's OK with me since I'm not much of a drummer and my acoustic kit has been stacked in a corner of my basement for the last 1.5 years. But I also view an e-kit as a whole other instrument, so I don't mind the difference in feel. I do love how compact my kit is, since it literally lives in a closet now.

I think that the mesh heads are the way to go though. A solid rubber pad will never feel anything like striking an actual drum head. So if the feel is what you're after, I'd set my sights on mesh heads. And a real kick pedal.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

My problem with mesh heads is that they don't really feel that much like real drums either. I've never played drums that had spongey bouncy heads. Mesh heads are too soft. But regardless they usually are better than the give-less plastic tops on cheaper e-kits. Some practice pads feel a lot like real drum heads. Someone should make an e-kit using practice pads.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:30 pm My problem with mesh heads is that they don't really feel that much like real drums either. I've never played drums that had spongey bouncy heads. Mesh heads are too soft. But regardless they usually are better than the give-less plastic tops on cheaper e-kits. Some practice pads feel a lot like real drum heads. Someone should make an e-kit using practice pads.
Lol! I knew you'd hate them regardless!

Seriously though, this is just about making the best of the situation I'm in... in dire need of a year of practice, short of space and noise restricted.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:25 pm Minerman and I both have a Yamaha DTX kit, although we've both modded ours so much that they're a whole other creature now :)

I agree, the rubber pads on the entry level Yamahas don't feel at all like a real kit. That's OK with me since I'm not much of a drummer and my acoustic kit has been stacked in a corner of my basement for the last 1.5 years. But I also view an e-kit as a whole other instrument, so I don't mind the difference in feel. I do love how compact my kit is, since it literally lives in a closet now.

I think that the mesh heads are the way to go though. A solid rubber pad will never feel anything like striking an actual drum head. So if the feel is what you're after, I'd set my sights on mesh heads. And a real kick pedal.
Yeah, the Roland stuff was relatively compact still, I feel like id actually be able to practice on it and transfer some of the skills to a real kit.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:34 pm
Lol! I knew you'd hate them regardless!

Seriously though, this is just about making the best of the situation I'm in... in dire need of a year of practice, short of space and noise restricted.
I don't hate them at all. I'm just saying that the mesh heads often aren't all that great either.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

They were definitely the best in the shop which were vaguely in my price range; don't know if there are other options around with different brands that area better.

Yamaha looked like they were trying something similar but it wasn't as good.
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

I've got a Roland TD6V E-Kit. 1 mesh for the snare and the rest are rubber. I like the response of the Roland rubber heads compared to others I tried. They have a bit more bounce to them. Cheaper kits you have to fight with I find.

Most of the money goes on the module/brain of the kit so if you're planning on using it to trigger sounds in your PC you could get more for your money looking at an older 2nd hand kit. You can find them with all mesh heads at decent prices, way below shop/new prices.

EvilBay Examples: Roland TD4V or Roland TD8KV

You can always upgrade parts of it that you don't like, like the hi-hit. I'm replacing mine this week. New one is in the post.

Here's mine. The built in sounds are shite. Triggering Superior Drummer or EazyDrummer and they sound pretty good, for what they are!

Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers mate
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I'm a Yamaha e-drum guy Jdude, but mainly because of the price difference...I have a DTX400 & a DTX532K combined for a pretty big e-kit...Lots of extra cymbals & shit, like pads for cowbell, tambourine, etc...For what it is, it's pretty cool, I never use the built in sounds from any of the modules I have, I use vsti's in Reaper...

I'd almost started on a project to convert a cheap acoustic kit to a mesh head e-kit, but gave up on it...I really don't have room (it would take more space than my e-kit currently does), & it's probably not gonna make a bit of difference for someone like me, other than it would look better...

I've never played mesh heads, so I can't compare, but the white silicon pads Yamaha makes are better than the usual rubber/plastic pads IMO...They're a little quieter & feel a lot different...I only have one (snare 3-zone), but I'd say a full kit of these pads would be pretty good, but, they're expensive as fuck...They have bigger sizes too, my snare is an 8", I think they have 12" pads, but again, they're expensive as fuck...

I can only recommend what I've got here man, no problems out of any of it, other than my playing ability...Either Yamaha or Roland would be great for you, just depends on your budget...

One thing I highly recommend is getting a real hi-hat stand to use...My 532K came with one, & it's a totally different experience versus using the little foot pedal that came with the DTX400...

Good luck, keep us posted dude...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers miner. The best of the Roland stuff was made to work with a real hi hat stand and really kick. Which is fine cos I have them both.

My budget is a little over a grand UK. Which puts me just about in range of the Roland one I tried. But I'd like to investigate all options!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

If my budget was that much I’d buy a cheap used kit and used cymbals and be good for years. I’d rather practice minimal on a real kit when I could and use the rest of practice time in a pillow. But if you can never play a real kit like Miner then you gotta do what you gotta do.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Liv, I agree but my situation with noise is complicated and about to get worse!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:13 am Liv, I agree but my situation with noise is complicated and about to get worse!
Are you going to have a small human child?