NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:51 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:12 am
Yeah, while I mentioned the Victory ones (I briefly considered buying one of them, not Kraken, when they first came out) it was more for the idea of a preamp that you can plug into your power amp. I know you wouldn't be able to keep the size right down and I wouldn't expect you to.
Yeah I don't know how to make it powerful but small without custom circuit boards and transformers. :confused:

I get the idea and appeal of those tube preamp pedals. I just don't know how "true" they really are. I'm also not an electrical engineer. So maybe they're awesome and I'm just too ignorant to understand how they're doing it.

There are tons of preamps out there. All of those floor modelers and AxeFX things are basically just preamps. You can run them into the power stage of a regular amp if the amp allows it. The JMP-1 and ADA MP1 were super popular with the rack mount guys. Lots of people still use them, and they're a good value for all the shit they can do.
https://reverb.com/item/50640323-marsha ... e-amp-unit
https://reverb.com/item/57722071-a-da-m ... tar-preamp

I don't know if they can just be inserted into an FX loop return though. I think if your loop can handle line level signal then any of that stuff can go right into it. I'm not that tuned in with external preamps and FX loop stuff. I never went down that path.
I started thinking about the 1W thing and then I thought it would be even more convenient and useful for me if I could just integrate it into my current setup. One thing I don't know about is how the H&K tonestack and FX loop is set up. I assumed it was guitar>tonestack>FX Loop>Power amp... but that's cos I thought all amps worked this way!
Sort of, but not really. That's generally how it works, but some amps have horrible FX loops that tap in and out of the amp at bad spots. Some of them are after the master volume which throws everything in the loop out of whack every time you change the volume. Some of them tap out before the tone stack so everything gets bogged down coming back in. Not all FX loops are set up to be used the way we're talking about. Some of them are nearly useless at all times. I remember Minerman's beloved Chupacabra had a horrible FX loop. That amp sounded great on it's own, but if you put anything into the loop it went to shit. There's a lot of stuff with buffering and impedances and level compensation that needs to be considered when designing or using an FX loop properly.

I seem to remember the one I liked being the JTM45, but I'll have to check through them all again to check. There was something about it that wasn't quite as "spikey" sounding as the JCM800.
The JTM45 gets it's goods from being cranked. Those old non-master Plexi Marshalls have very weak preamps. Having one as a "pre amp" is not a good idea. The sounds we all like from those amps pretty much solely relies on power stage meltdown.

The 2203/2204 amps can be a little spiky. That's the beauty of them. They're rock and roll grunt with sharp teeth. A full size version is a little much to sit in front of just noodling around at home. But live or in a mix, for rock and roll they're very hard to beat.
Did you intentionally find the advert for that Marshall rack unit in Cardiff? My new office is in Cardiff. I'm not quite ready for rack gear yet - when I get the 3rd floor put on my house and move my studio into the roof (yes, all that boarding out I did was in vain) I'll have a lot more space and I'm also going to get the builders to put neoprene under the floor boards.

Do you think the 1W JTM45 would work. I'm sure that was what the Anderton's special 1W amp was but I can't find the video of it - it sounded fucking glorious anyway.

If you could find out if you think you'd be able to get something to work with my H&K in the FX Loop way we describe that would be great. If not, I'd still be up for just a 1W head 'cos shipping only appears to be 50 quid.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:33 pm
Anyway, I'm assuming you'd want a "JCM" style Marshall preamp. That's two 12AX7s, and for it to be correct, it's gonna need about 300 volts DC on the B+ rail. To make that sound you need that voltage on those tubes. Actually, maybe a little more.
Those are some real "kill you dead" numbers. The sort that no sensible pedal mfg is gonna want to risk the liability.

That said, pedal makers are not always sensible.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg - found it

It sounds fucking great... but a) its Joe Bonawhatshisname playing and he's really good. b) its a custom build so fuck knows what it actually is. There's a brief description at the start of this video of what it actually is.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:19 am
Did you intentionally find the advert for that Marshall rack unit in Cardiff? My new office is in Cardiff. I'm not quite ready for rack gear yet - when I get the 3rd floor put on my house and move my studio into the roof (yes, all that boarding out I did was in vain) I'll have a lot more space and I'm also going to get the builders to put neoprene under the floor boards.
Lol no I just grabbed that one for the pics. Serendipity maybe? Maybe you should get it. It truly is pretty much exactly what you're talking about, plus more. Look at the back of that JMP-1. See the +4/-10 buttons? That means you could probably just jam it into the FX return of your amp.
Do you think the 1W JTM45 would work. I'm sure that was what the Anderton's special 1W amp was but I can't find the video of it - it sounded fucking glorious anyway.
What are you wanting to do with a 1W JTM45? That's what will determine if it will "work" or not. I'm not really a fan of the JTM45. They have nice cleans and mild crunch, but I think they're too soft and bassy. They flub out when you really push them. That's why it didn't take too long for Marshall to tweak them into what became the Super Leads. Also, if the 1W JTM45 is anything like a real JTM45, then you're gonna need to wind it up and it has no volume control. And even at one piddly watt, feeding that into your pair of V30s means, theoretically, you're gonna be cruising at probably around 95-100 decibels. That's fairly loud.
If you could find out if you think you'd be able to get something to work with my H&K in the FX Loop way we describe that would be great. If not, I'd still be up for just a 1W head 'cos shipping only appears to be 50 quid.
I haven't checked but I think shipping an amp head, even a small one, from Texas to the UK would cost significantly more than whatever 50 quid actually is. It costs more than that to ship one domestic. There's no way it can be cheaper to ship one across an actual ocean. I think the the two amps I built for Boob cost about 75 American quids each to ship from Texas to Florida. That's only a one day drive with no oceans.

If that Cardiff JMP-1 is reasonably close by you should take your amp and cab over there and see if it works out. Since it's a Reverb listing, see if you can make a sweet person-to-person deal. It can be very appealing for a Reverb seller to sell locally and cut out the Reverb fees and shipping hassles. Try it out.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:48 am
JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:19 am
Lol no I just grabbed that one for the pics. Serendipity maybe? Maybe you should get it. It truly is pretty much exactly what you're talking about, plus more. Look at the back of that JMP-1. See the +4/-10 buttons? That means you could probably just jam it into the FX return of your amp.
What are you wanting to do with a 1W JTM45? That's what will determine if it will "work" or not. I'm not really a fan of the JTM45. They have nice cleans and mild crunch, but I think they're too soft and bassy. They flub out when you really push them. That's why it didn't take too long for Marshall to tweak them into what became the Super Leads. Also, if the 1W JTM45 is anything like a real JTM45, then you're gonna need to wind it up and it has no volume control. And even at one piddly watt, feeding that into your pair of V30s means, theoretically, you're gonna be cruising at probably around 95-100 decibels. That's fairly loud.
I haven't checked but I think shipping an amp head, even a small one, from Texas to the UK would cost significantly more than whatever 50 quid actually is. It costs more than that to ship one domestic. There's no way it can be cheaper to ship one across an actual ocean. I think the the two amps I built for Boob cost about 75 American quids each to ship from Texas to Florida. That's only a one day drive with no oceans.

If that Cardiff JMP-1 is reasonably close by you should take your amp and cab over there and see if it works out. Since it's a Reverb listing, see if you can make a sweet person-to-person deal. It can be very appealing for a Reverb seller to sell locally and cut out the Reverb fees and shipping hassles. Try it out.
I'll give them a call, I'm actually going to be in the city tomorrow.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:35 am Greg - found it

It sounds fucking great... but a) its Joe Bonawhatshisname playing and he's really good. b) its a custom build so fuck knows what it actually is. There's a brief description at the start of this video of what it actually is.
Yeah that sounds pretty good. But like you said...it's Joe Bonermaster. He's a good player and will sound good through anything. I know I could plug into that same rig and sound like ass. And they admit it's been "tweaked". Whatever that means. They jumped the channels internally and probably voiced it closer to Super Lead specs.

Anyway, the big takeaway for me is you can see how loud it is. The camera shakes sometimes from the thump from that little tiny rig. That's not a bad thing, loud is good, but that's what it takes for that amp to sound like that. I didn't watch the whole video though. I dislike both of those guys. Do they try to turn it down?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:03 pm I didn't watch the whole video though. I dislike both of those guys. Do they try to turn it down?
No, there's just two minutes of playing at the end where the amp sounds really good.
Really pissed off actually, I'd been looking at the 1W Marshalls and couldn't find the video where the one I liked the sound of was. I had no idea it was going to be Joe B playing a 59 Les Paul into it. :facepalm:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:39 pm
No, there's just two minutes of playing at the end where the amp sounds really good.
Really pissed off actually, I'd been looking at the 1W Marshalls and couldn't find the video where the one I liked the sound of was. I had no idea it was going to be Joe B playing a 59 Les Paul into it. :facepalm:
That can't be overlooked. That's the perfect guitar with the perfect pickups for that kind of sound with that particular amp, and probably the perfect guy to do it.

And...they wanted to sell that stuff. They're not gonna put a very "real" video out there to showcase that amp.
Rebel Yell
paulman

Post by paulman »

Got these yesterday, but I won't have time to try them out until tomorrow. I'm hoping the isolated power supply will help with the jet engine noise in my guitar rig. The BubbleTron is a phaser/flanger/filter that responds to the way you play, as opposed to the usual static sound effects. And the Belle Epoch is one of the best, if not the best, Echoplex emulators out there. This deluxe version also has all the other types of delay that came along after tape delay. Bucket brigade, etc. I maybe shouldn't have shelled out the cash for these before getting the acoustic guitar I've been putting off for months, but I needed the power supply and then got carried away.

Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Welll I built my Ghost Drive so I now have it.
Gonna say don't get this kit unless you have decent soldering skills .... well built with 'rivets' that help hold the traces down so you don't lift them with too much heat but really close soldering points for a zillion resistors and it's VERY easy to accidently bridge two soldering points.
I'm a very experienced solderer but I found it a somewhat challenging build.
https://www.stewmac.com/kits-and-projec ... 20Products

Supposed to sound damned close to a Klon.
Then I read that so does the 30 dollar wish Klon clone so I got one
https://www.wish.com/search/klon-centau ... 169ad600a6?

I'll do a comparison maybe next week but my initial impression is they sound almost identical with just a slight bit more 'weight' to the Ghost Drive but that's based on a 5 minute test so we'll see.

I also got this: it's freakin awesome looking and yes ..... glows under black light and is the best sounding fuzz I've tried ...... never had a fuzzface but it's supposed to sound like one .... regardless it's awesome
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dolamo-D-2-F ... /295969729

And I got this ...... have fooled a little bit with a Rat and this does seem to sound like I remember that sounding
https://www.walmart.com/ip/yeacher-Dola ... hbdg=L1700

I will try to get some clips up next week.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:06 pm Welll I built my Ghost Drive so I now have it.
Gonna say don't get this kit unless you have decent soldering skills .... well built with 'rivets' that help hold the traces down so you don't lift them with too much heat but really close soldering points for a zillion resistors and it's VERY easy to accidently bridge two soldering points.
I'm a very experienced solderer but I found it a somewhat challenging build.
https://www.stewmac.com/kits-and-projec ... 20Products

Supposed to sound damned close to a Klon.
Then I read that so does the 30 dollar wish Klon clone so I got one
https://www.wish.com/search/klon-centau ... 169ad600a6?

I'll do a comparison maybe next week but my initial impression is they sound almost identical with just a slight bit more 'weight' to the Ghost Drive but that's based on a 5 minute test so we'll see.

I also got this: it's freakin awesome looking and yes ..... glows under black light and is the best sounding fuzz I've tried ...... never had a fuzzface but it's supposed to sound like one .... regardless it's awesome
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dolamo-D-2-F ... /295969729

And I got this ...... have fooled a little bit with a Rat and this does seem to sound like I remember that sounding
https://www.walmart.com/ip/yeacher-Dola ... hbdg=L1700

I will try to get some clips up next week.
Haha a friend of mine bought the Ghost Drive to build. He's not even a little bit experienced at building anything electronic so it should be interesting. I suspect I'll be doing some supervising on that project.

And I also got one of those chinese klon knockoffs on Wish. I don't have it yet, I suspect it's somewhere in the middle of the Pacific right now, and I couldn't care less about a Klon or a klone, but for 30 bucks, why not?
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:16 am I also got one of those chinese klon knockoffs on Wish. I don't have it yet, I suspect it's somewhere in the middle of the Pacific right now, and I couldn't care less about a Klon or a klone, but for 30 bucks, why not?
well the Ghost Drive sounds pretty good ..... it does have a pronounced mid range but a bit lower in freq than say, a Tubescreamer ...... it's pretty cool sounding.
And though I didn't play as much with the wish pedal ..... a quick listen had it sounding similar so I'll be interested in what you think.
You got the large format pedal and not the small one right?
The small one is supposed to be totally different and not as good.
Greg_L wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:16 am
Haha a friend of mine bought the Ghost Drive to build. He's not even a little bit experienced at building anything electronic so it should be interesting. I suspect I'll be doing some supervising on that project.
lol ..... get your solder removal tool handy!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:13 pm
well the Ghost Drive sounds pretty good ..... it does have a pronounced mid range but a bit lower in freq than say, a Tubescreamer ...... it's pretty cool sounding.
And though I didn't play as much with the wish pedal ..... a quick listen had it sounding similar so I'll be interested in what you think.
I got whatever one I saw on a youtube review and had the most/best Wish reviews. I have very low expectations and assume I'll be rebuilding it. It looks like a full size Klon klone. But again I don't really care. I don't have a real Klon to compare it to and will never use it anyway. For 30 bucks it's a novelty.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:26 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:13 pm
I got whatever one I saw on a youtube review and had the most/best Wish reviews. I have very low expectations and assume I'll be rebuilding it. It looks like a full size Klon klone. But again I don't really care. I don't have a real Klon to compare it to and will never use it anyway. For 30 bucks it's a novelty.
nope ...... when I put up the pics for my comparison, I did take pics of the interior of both ...... it looks almost identical to my build except for the jacks.
It's actually well built and has a shitload of discrete parts.
I figured it'd be a few op amps but it's pretty much the same as the Ghost drive .... there's speculation that they just build a Klon clone kit that's available
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:33 pm there's speculation that they just build a Klon clone kit that's available
That wouldn't surprise me at all. I was looking at the specs of the Ghost Drive...it's just regularly available parts. There's nothing particularly special about it that I could tell. I suspect most of these klone pedals are all using pretty much the same stuff.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:42 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:33 pm there's speculation that they just build a Klon clone kit that's available
That wouldn't surprise me at all. I was looking at the specs of the Ghost Drive...it's just regularly available parts. There's nothing particularly special about it that I could tell. I suspect most of these klone pedals are all using pretty much the same stuff.
yeah .... just a shitload of resistors and caps ...... I think 31 resistors and 11 caps ..... there are 3 chips that have something to do with the power and maybe 5 or 6 diodes ..... really a LOT of parts compared to the other pedals I've built.

I gotta say .... the three I've built so far are my favs ...... the Slamurai is a great dirt pedal and the Galactic Vise surpasses my Xotic SP comp which I like a lot.
But the Vise is better.
And the Ghost Drive is great.
I have 3 more kits to build but they're more the regular thing and a lot easier than the Ghost kit.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

paulman wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:32 am Got these yesterday, but I won't have time to try them out until tomorrow. I'm hoping the isolated power supply will help with the jet engine noise in my guitar rig. The BubbleTron is a phaser/flanger/filter that responds to the way you play, as opposed to the usual static sound effects. And the Belle Epoch is one of the best, if not the best, Echoplex emulators out there. This deluxe version also has all the other types of delay that came along after tape delay. Bucket brigade, etc. I maybe shouldn't have shelled out the cash for these before getting the acoustic guitar I've been putting off for months, but I needed the power supply and then got carried away.

Nice score there!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

This has been on my short list for over a year now. Last night I made a quick decision to just pull the trigger finally, before he stops making them for good. It's kind of cool that his shop is in my town, just a few miles from where I live.

He made these things in the 80s and started making them again in the 2000s, and they were popularized by the likes of Eric Johnson, Billy Gibbons, Joe Satriani, Kenny Wayne Shephard, David Gilmour, and some others.

I'm looking forward to playing through it!
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:19 pm This has been on my short list for over a year now. Last night I made a quick decision to just pull the trigger finally, before he stops making them for good. It's kind of cool that his shop is in my town, just a few miles from where I live.

He made these things in the 80s and started making them again in the 2000s, and they were popularized by the likes of Eric Johnson, Billy Gibbons, Joe Satriani, Kenny Wayne Shephard, David Gilmour, and some others.

I'm looking forward to playing through it!

Capture.PNG
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

Dude you know who had one of the originals? Minerman. :frown:
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:54 pm :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:

Dude you know who had one of the originals? Minerman. :frown:
I didn't know that! Well I'll play some hard rock through it in his honor as soon as I unpack it :)