NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
liv_rong

Re: NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

Post by liv_rong »

@Greg_L I LOVE the finish on that! God damn!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I came *this* close to buying a Boss Katana bass 210 today. I think it's a cool bass amp, and my local Guitar Center had one in stock. I even went down there half-heartedly thinking of buying it, but it was a little "impulse buy" kind of territory so I came home empty-handed. I think I just want something much simpler.

My little Ampeg practice amp is just too damn rattly for me. But I really like its voice. Maybe I need to just crack it open and figure out what to reinforce inside to suppress the rattles. And if I ruin it in the process, I guess that'll be a better excuse to find a different amp :D
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm starting to think I need a bass amp.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

JD01 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:09 am I'm starting to think I need a bass amp.
Bass amps are fun. I love my Vox.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:29 am
My little Ampeg practice amp is just too damn rattly for me. But I really like its voice. Maybe I need to just crack it open and figure out what to reinforce inside to suppress the rattles. And if I ruin it in the process, I guess that'll be a better excuse to find a different amp :D
That ^^^^^^
Rebel Yell
paulman

Post by paulman »

Just got a six string banjo. Bought it for $100 from an old Army friend. Unfortunately the neck is unreasonably narrow, and it's impossible for me to play cleanly. I'm experimenting with open tunings to make it easier to play certain chords without choking off notes. I'd have been better off with a regular banjo. When they forced me to play one in the Army (for Dixieland band), I just took off the drone string (which I still have no idea what to do with) and tuned the remaining four strings like the top four of a guitar. That way it was just like reading big band jazz charts, just without the 5th and 6th string roots. It actually made me better at guitar because I learned not to need to see the roots in order to play any given chord.

As far as this pixie-sized banjo goes, hopefully I can find a way to make it work for me.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

paulman wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:14 am Just got a six string banjo. Bought it for $100 from an old Army friend. Unfortunately the neck is unreasonably narrow, and it's impossible for me to play cleanly. I'm experimenting with open tunings to make it easier to play certain chords without choking off notes. I'd have been better off with a regular banjo. When they forced me to play one in the Army (for Dixieland band), I just took off the drone string (which I still have no idea what to do with) and tuned the remaining four strings like the top four of a guitar. That way it was just like reading big band jazz charts, just without the 5th and 6th string roots. It actually made me better at guitar because I learned not to need to see the roots in order to play any given chord.

As far as this pixie-sized banjo goes, hopefully I can find a way to make it work for me.
Have you seen those guitanjo things? 6 strings, tuned like a guitar, but with the body of a banjo. A mate has one and keeps threatening to play it on my songs. Over my dead body... :lollers:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:41 am
Have you seen those guitanjo things? 6 strings, tuned like a guitar, but with the body of a banjo. A mate has one and keeps threatening to play it on my songs. Over my dead body... :lollers:
I have one. It sounds like a banjo, plays like a guitar.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Probably going to get one of these:
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-must ... ed-natural
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-must ... a-sunburst

Will depends what's in stock though.

This is the one I really enjoyed playing on which got me fancying a Mustang:
https://www.pmtonline.co.uk/fender-just ... stang-bass
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:10 am Probably going to get one of these:

No, get this....

http://hallmarkguitars.com/basses/65-custom.shtml
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've looked at Hallmark before and been in touch with them. Quite pricy to get them sent to the UK.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:19 am I've looked at Hallmark before and been in touch with them. Quite pricy to get them sent to the UK.
Fucking oceans. :mad3:

Short scales are fun. I did some scratch tracks with my P-Bass yesterday after only handling the Mosrite for weeks. Holy crap that thing seemed gigantic...that's what she said. Sure sounded good though. Short scale with P pickups is gonna be a win I think.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:42 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:19 am I've looked at Hallmark before and been in touch with them. Quite pricy to get them sent to the UK.
Fucking oceans. :mad3:

Short scales are fun. I did some scratch tracks with my P-Bass yesterday after only handling the Mosrite for weeks. Holy crap that thing seemed gigantic...that's what she said. Sure sounded good though. Short scale with P pickups is gonna be a win I think.
That's why I was thinking. That PJ Mexican Mustang has a few options and should work well for a guitarist that plays bass to record once a week.
paulman

Post by paulman »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:41 am Have you seen those guitanjo things? 6 strings, tuned like a guitar, but with the body of a banjo. A mate has one and keeps threatening to play it on my songs. Over my dead body... :lollers:
That’s what I have. I got it to play on a few recordings, but it’s going to be a challenge.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:10 am Probably going to get one of these:

Meh, no stock in the shop. Irritating.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

So I just got picked up a TC Electronics Plethora x3 since I love the x5 so much. Because I don't want to carry around the big pedal board as I don't normally use a lot of pedals, I thought the x3 would be perfect. And it is. Used it at a gig last night with my Deluxe Reverb and it was fantastic. Nice small footprint, plenty of effects easily found, built-in tuner; I really couldn't ask for more.
PXL_20220707_153810290.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Moved into my new house. Haven’t set up my rack yet. Enjoying playing games on my new iMac. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bill L wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:08 pm So I just got picked up a TC Electronics Plethora x3 since I love the x5 so much. Because I don't want to carry around the big pedal board as I don't normally use a lot of pedals, I thought the x3 would be perfect. And it is. Used it at a gig last night with my Deluxe Reverb and it was fantastic. Nice small footprint, plenty of effects easily found, built-in tuner; I really couldn't ask for more.

PXL_20220707_153810290.jpg
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Got some new pickups for the Gretsch.

Now I don't know nuthin bout nuthin and I'm not into "signature" stuff, but Mr Brian Setzer is to my ears the greatest living Gretsch player around, so his pickups should do just fine for a shitty hack like me.
Rebel Yell
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:21 pm Got some new pickups for the Gretsch.

Now I don't know nuthin bout nuthin and I'm not into "signature" stuff, but Mr Brian Setzer is to my ears the greatest living Gretsch player around, so his pickups should do just fine for a shitty hack like me.
Nice! Love his sound as well.

You are always building something or doing some sort of upgrade. Pretty awesome.