NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:19 pm This has been on my short list for over a year now. Last night I made a quick decision to just pull the trigger finally, before he stops making them for good. It's kind of cool that his shop is in my town, just a few miles from where I live.

He made these things in the 80s and started making them again in the 2000s, and they were popularized by the likes of Eric Johnson, Billy Gibbons, Joe Satriani, Kenny Wayne Shephard, David Gilmour, and some others.

I'm looking forward to playing through it!

Capture.PNG
Cool pedal Tad. I always see/hear drive pedals and think "ooo, I want one of those " then rember thst I have three drive pedals on my board already. I really don't need anymore!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:27 pm
Tadpui wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:19 pm This has been on my short list for over a year now. Last night I made a quick decision to just pull the trigger finally, before he stops making them for good. It's kind of cool that his shop is in my town, just a few miles from where I live.

He made these things in the 80s and started making them again in the 2000s, and they were popularized by the likes of Eric Johnson, Billy Gibbons, Joe Satriani, Kenny Wayne Shephard, David Gilmour, and some others.

I'm looking forward to playing through it!

Capture.PNG
Cool pedal Tad. I always see/hear drive pedals and think "ooo, I want one of those " then rember thst I have three drive pedals on my board already. I really don't need anymore!
Three Gain Stages Closer to God.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

@Tadpui That looks very cool. Nice little pedal. I like that he sent a picture along as well haha. That is a really nice touch.
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I have one of these ...... is it an early version?

https://reverb.com/p/tube-works-901-real-tube-1987-1997

EDIT no .../. it's after ....... but it's actually complicated.
What I have is later than the Butlers but was designed by Butler or maybe not! ..... Now I'm gonna have to dig into it and see which I have.
When I got my Tubeworks I was told it was designed by Butler so I think it's an early Tube Works when it was Butler's company but that's not absolutely the case.
I'll let ya'll know what I find
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice that it's local too.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:27 pm Cool pedal Tad. I always see/hear drive pedals and think "ooo, I want one of those " then rember thst I have three drive pedals on my board already. I really don't need anymore!
That's me with fuzz pedals. I think I'm up to 4 of them now. I was hunting for the right one for years, buying this and that and never quite finding it. I think my Smiley finally hit the spot though. I think that this'll make my 3rd drive pedal, which I agree is just about enough.
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:02 pm @Tadpui That looks very cool. Nice little pedal. I like that he sent a picture along as well haha. That is a really nice touch.
Haha yeah, I chuckled at the photo and thought you guys would get a kick out of it. I think it's a photo that he uses on his website. I'd be more excited if I thought that he was posing with the one that he's sending to me :D
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:44 pm I have one of these ...... is it an early version?

https://reverb.com/p/tube-works-901-real-tube-1987-1997

EDIT no .../. it's after ....... but it's actually complicated.
What I have is later than the Butlers but was designed by Butler or maybe not! ..... Now I'm gonna have to dig into it and see which I have.
When I got my Tubeworks I was told it was designed by Butler so I think it's an early Tube Works when it was Butler's company but that's not absolutely the case.
I'll let ya'll know what I find
Last night I was reading into the history of these pedals. From what I recall, he was making them and then went into business with Chandler. Chandler sold the Tube Driver with the "designed by B.K. Butler" script on the chassis. Then they parted ways and Chandler continued to unlawfully sell the pedal with his name removed. Apparently he got them to stop and he made them for a while longer, then discontinued them for a decade or so. Now he's making them one at a time in his own shop.

The Real Tube was a few years later, from what I can tell. And it looks like Tubeworks was his company as well.
http://www.kitrae.net/music/Music_mp3_Tube_Driver_Sound.html wrote: •1985 - B.K. Butler/Chandler Tube Driver. Marked TUBE DRIVER™ and CHANDLER INDUSTRIES-PATENT PEND. on the front.

•1986-87 - B.K. Butler/Chandler Tube Driver. Marked TUBE DRIVER®, Concept & Design: B.K. Butler and CHANDLER INDUSTRIES, INC on the front.

•1988 - Chandler Tube Driver. Knockoff made by Chandler after Butler parted ways with them. Only marked with script Chandler logo on the front, no BK Butler.

•1993-94 - 911 Tube Driver - Made by Butler's Tube Works company. A four knob version of the Tube Works 901 Real Tube pedal, which was an improved Tube Driver.

•2005 - 911 Tube Driver. A reissue of the 1990s Tube Works Tube Driver.
Last year when I was thinking of buying one, his shop was here in Aurora just north of I-70. But now when I search for it on Google maps, I don't see it. And the tracking info shows that it's shipping from Wyoming. So he may have left the metro area for cheaper digs in Cheyenne. I can't say that I blame him, this metro got super expensive over the last couple of years. *edit* even his Reverb shop now shows Cheyenne WY, so he did move sometime in the last year)

It should be here on Friday, so that'll be good timing. My wife will be at work and I'll have some time to tear into it.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

My only drive pedal is a Vox Ice 9 which I've never got a usable sound out of.

From just before the time I banned people from buying me musical presents without a specific brand / item / colour...