NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Tadpui

Re: NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:54 pm @Tadpui It has Filtertrons in it. I'm not aware of any Gretsch guitars having actual gold foils, but I'm no historian or anything. To the best of my knowledge Gold Foils were more often found in similar hollowbodies like Kays and Harmonys and Silvertones and stuff like that. I believe the classic Gretsches always had Dearmonds or Filtertrons. But really, fuck if I know. This one has Filtertrons and they're okay. I might one day put some TV Jones in it. I really like the cosmetics of the pearloid tops on these pickups though and they sound okay to me so they'll probably stay.
Oh OK I see. I don't know much about those pickups, I always associated Gretsch with the foil pickups, but I must have those mixed up in my head with Filtertrons. Looking forward to hearing it!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

We gonna be hearing it through a cranked Marshall soon?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:33 pm
Oh OK I see. I don't know much about those pickups, I always associated Gretsch with the foil pickups, but I must have those mixed up in my head with Filtertrons. Looking forward to hearing it!
Yeah Filtertrons are are sort of like P90s if P90s were humbuckers. They have very tall magnets and the poles are close so they have a brighter more focused pickup area than regular humbuckers but they're not nearly as bright and snappy as true single coils. And these things are really mild. They don't have a lot of output and won't really push an amp into hard overdrive.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:37 pm We gonna be hearing it through a cranked Marshall soon?
Meh maybe? I don't know. I didn't get it for that. I got Gibsons for that kind of stuff. This thing will probably more often be paired with the Assman and Deluxe Reverb.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cool, def a Rockabilly charmer.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:24 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:06 pm
I'm gonna say hollow 'cause of the floating bridge
It's a pinned bridge. Looks like a floater but it really isn't.
sure it is ..... it's just a pinned floating bridge so it stays put ...... but to me floating bridge does not mean you can slide it around.

It means that large wood piece spreading out the load over a large area over a hollow body and it's exactly that.
I've seen violins with pinned bridges but they're not any different in function than a regular violin bridge and this being pinned doesn't change how it functions ..... the support still comes from that wood piece that 'floats' above a hollow body

Plus I was right based on that .... it's hollow.
If it's not hollow you almost always see a mounted bridge of some sort
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:44 pm sure it is ..... it's just a pinned floating bridge so it stays put ...... but to me floating bridge mans that large wood piece spreading out the load over a hollow body and it's exactly that.

Plus I was right .... it's hollow.
Lol yes technically it is a floating bridge, but it doesn't float. I can't wiggle it around or knock it loose...thankfully.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:47 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:44 pm sure it is ..... it's just a pinned floating bridge so it stays put ...... but to me floating bridge mans that large wood piece spreading out the load over a hollow body and it's exactly that.

Plus I was right .... it's hollow.
Lol yes technically it is a floating bridge, but it doesn't float. I can't wiggle it around or knock it loose...thankfully.
to me floating refers to how the bridge supports the load ..... it floats over a thin top/hollow body
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:49 pm
to me floating refers to how the bridge supports the load ..... it floats over a thin top/hollow body
Is that what it actually means? I thought it meant that it isn't secured by anything but string pressure.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have two thin line hollow bodies guitars with floating, unpinned, bridges.
When I had some stuff done by a luthier with them he was keen to move the bridge from the 100% correct intonation position and have it up against the bridge pickup so that it didn't get bumped out of place - he convinced me and then set it up according to that placement. It's works, it's functional and makes sense but I've always had a little nag in my head about it not being where it should be.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:53 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:49 pm
Is that what it actually means? I thought it meant that it isn't secured by anything but string pressure.
well ..... I don't know the official definition so that could be it .... but to me it always meant what I said.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:47 pm I have two thin line hollow bodies guitars with floating, unpinned, bridges.
When I had some stuff done by a luthier with them he was keen to move the bridge from the 100% correct intonation position and have it up against the bridge pickup so that it didn't get bumped out of place - he convinced me and then set it up according to that placement. It's works, it's functional and makes sense but I've always had a little nag in my head about it not being where it should be.
Lol what? So he basically murdered your scale length and intonation?
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:51 pm
rayc wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:47 pm I have two thin line hollow bodies guitars with floating, unpinned, bridges.
Lol what? So he basically murdered your scale length and intonation?
yeah, I mean ... the bridge kinda has to go in a fairly specific spot.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah you can't just stick the bridge any ol dang place you want.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Yep, that's why it has niggled at me BUT he was a luthier and I deferred to him on the matter in the 1st instance. I did think it was a bit of a cop out at the time as I was trying to get one of the pair, (they were slight variations on the same model - a Bruno Royal Artist- and both slightly damaged or altered),to original spec using the parts from the two so I'd have one to orig spec and the other optimised for recording.
After I've finished bringing the old red bass back to working order, (still stymied by by the scratch plate and screws at this point heating didn't work, solvent didn't work and I've drilled out most screws but that showed another problem), I'll see about putting one of the bridges back in the right spot - I did have almost invisible marks for the correct location - hopefully they're still there.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:32 am Yep, that's why it has niggled at me BUT he was a luthier and I deferred to him on the matter in the 1st instance. I did think it was a bit of a cop out at the time as I was trying to get one of the pair, (they were slight variations on the same model - a Bruno Royal Artist- and both slightly damaged or altered),to original spec using the parts from the two so I'd have one to orig spec and the other optimised for recording.
After I've finished bringing the old red bass back to working order, (still stymied by by the scratch plate and screws at this point heating didn't work, solvent didn't work and I've drilled out most screws but that showed another problem), I'll see about putting one of the bridges back in the right spot - I did have almost invisible marks for the correct location - hopefully they're still there.
Measure from the fretboard edge of the nut to the 12th fret, then double that. That's where the bridge saddles go. You can fine tune from there.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:08 am Measure from the fretboard edge of the nut to the 12th fret, then double that. That's where the bridge saddles go. You can fine tune from there.
Yep, that's how I set up the original marks.
It was in a very bad state when I bought it so had to read up on all of that stuff to use it. Thanks for confirming though- I probably would've had to look it up before doing it but now I KNOW!
Cheers
rayc
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

And he calls himself a luthier?
As Greg says, and you can check the position of the bridge using the harmonic above the 12th fret, then wiggle or adjust each string until the fretted notes sounds the same.
Cheers
Chris
my music
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

That's really nice. Great colour too.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:05 am
Yep, that's how I set up the original marks.
It was in a very bad state when I bought it so had to read up on all of that stuff to use it. Thanks for confirming though- I probably would've had to look it up before doing it but now I KNOW!
It's really sad to me that someone would do something like that to someone's guitar...and they probably charged you for it.

I got hosed like that the first time I ever went to an "amp tech". That was enough for me to learn it for myself.
Rebel Yell