NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Bubba

Re: NEW GEAR!! Buying anything?

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:58 am I ordered a 22 watt Fender Deluxe Reverb kit to be built as a head yesterday and an upgraded output transformer that will work with my Marshall cabs.

No instructions and no idea, but I'm gonna make it happen anyway.
Excellent! Echoing JD's question, here - have you bought the box?
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Do something really weird, Greg - like build the amp into a teapot or something.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:09 am Cool! Are you gonna do a full build thread?
Do you get all the enclosure and stuff are you going to build and tolex something yourself?
Bubba wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:16 am

Yeah I'll do a build thread. I'm honestly terrified. This might be one of the worst amps to do as a first build, but goddammit, no guts no glory. It's an amp I've wanted for a long time. Marshall madness is obviously no problem with all the shit I've got, but the reverbing tremolicious Fender sound is one tone I'm not able to easily reproduce.

It comes as a complete kit. I got the heabox in purple. Lol. I ordered an upgrade output transformer to work with my Marshall cabs.

There are no instructions. I got a layout diagram and a schematic and there will be a huge pile of tiny parts and miles of wire. It's gonna be tough. For real.
Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:47 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:09 am Cool! Are you gonna do a full build thread?
Do you get all the enclosure and stuff are you going to build and tolex something yourself?
Bubba wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:16 am

Yeah I'll do a build thread. I'm honestly terrified. This might be one of the worst amps to do as a first build, but goddammit, no guts no glory. It's an amp I've wanted for a long time. Marshall madness is obviously no problem with all the shit I've got, but the reverbing tremolicious Fender sound is one tone I'm not able to easily reproduce.

It comes as a complete kit. I got the heabox in purple. Lol. I ordered an upgrade output transformer to work with my Marshall cabs.

There are no instructions. I got a layout diagram and a schematic and there will be a huge pile of tiny parts and miles of wire. It's gonna be tough. For real.
I feel your pain bro. I just started buying kit parts for a build as well. It will be awhile before I can afford the rest of it.
kit parts.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

0 - 2 - 4 - 6 - 8 ... 11

HA!
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

SweetDan wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:47 am 0 - 2 - 4 - 6 - 8 ... 11

HA!
Sometimes you just need to be 1 louder.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ocnor wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:49 am

I feel your pain bro. I just started buying kit parts for a build as well. It will be awhile before I can afford the rest of it.
kit parts.jpg
That's pretty cool. What kind of Marshall will you be building? Basic 800?

It should be pretty straight forward. After tinkering a lot with my own Marshalls, I feel like I could blaze through a Marshall build pretty confidently.
Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:10 am
ocnor wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:49 am

kit parts.jpg
That's pretty cool. What kind of Marshall will you be building? Basic 800?

It should be pretty straight forward. After tinkering a lot with my own Marshalls, I feel like I could blaze through a Marshall build pretty confidently.
I'm thinking like a cross between a Plexi and an 800.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ocnor wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:21 am

Ha I just did one of those. Check it out in my Plexi mod thread.
Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:19 pm
ocnor wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:21 am

Ha I just did one of those. Check it out in my Plexi mod thread.
I saw that. Where are the sound clips?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

ocnor wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:07 pm

I saw that. Where are the sound clips?
All over the place. Lol. I put a bunch in the tone thread.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:47 am

got it from the same folks my 18 watter's gonna come from?

LOL .... if so, did I influence the decision to go purple?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:01 pm got it from the same folks my 18 watter's gonna come from?
No. I would have but they don't offer this kind of kit. I got it from Weber. The Weber speakers/attenuator people.
LOL .... if so, did I influence the decision to go purple?
Ha, partly. I asked the wife what color it should be. She said "black like all of your OTHER amps" in a very cheeky sarcastic you-have-too-many-amps kind of way. Then I told her I can get it in different colors and rattled off all the options. She said "purple". And my immediate thought was "Boob is gonna think I stole his idea". But I ordered it anyway. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I just got one of these:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-aud ... ed-speaker

Little thing is BAD-ASS!!

I needed something cheap ...... it was on sale for $211 ..... it's 1000 wattt
s which means it's 500 watts in actuality.
It was a cheap throw around but damned if it doesn't sound better than my bigger cabs.
The bass is ginormous and well controlled.
My 12" powered are actually a bit boomy which makes you have to pull back the bottom end.

The little Alto is sufficient by itself for a lotta of small gigs ..... I'm really impressed.
Sounds about as good as the QSC 10's I've heard ..... it's tiny and light (22lbs)
Remains to be seen if it's reliable but so far it's a bang-for-the-buck conrtender.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Cool score Lt Bob. I hope it's up to the continuous gig life.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

lol .... we will see ..... little cab doesn't know what it's getting into!

:D
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I've been using a pair of db Technologies Opera 10 speakers as mains for a while now. They blow my QSC K10's out of the water. They are better than the QSC K12 and 15's as well as all of the high end EV and JBL stuff that we compared them with. The cost, per speaker is $350. Every time I use one with a band (or person) I haven't done sound for they are amazed at how great they sound. Then they pick one up (it's about 27#s) and they're even more shocked. Then I tell them you can buy 2 of the Opera 10's for the price of one of the QSC's. They make some great, affordable stuff.

http://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/produc ... p2926.aspx
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

This might excite Minerman, but that's not what I got it for. :D

Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

got it for building your amp and getting the caps in shape
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:54 pm got it for building your amp and getting the caps in shape
Yup. Bring the voltage up slowly and controlled so I can check things out and maybe I can catch the inevitable mistake before I let the smoke out. :eep:
Rebel Yell