Beginner Vocal Mic Recommendation

What type and size you need, and where you should point it. Does a large diaphragm do a better job in preventing pregnancy than a small? WTF is phantom power and why do you need it? All these important questions and more, discussed within. Entendre at your own risk.
JD01

Beginner Vocal Mic Recommendation

Post by JD01 »

Alright guys, I'm gonna do some googling for "best beginner mic" etc. but if anyone's picked up a cheap one that gives decent results recently that would be great.
I'm gonna give my niece a mic and interface for Christmas for her to practice with, she's getting really into singing now and is starting to sing more in school shows and stuff and is doing vocal stuff for her music GCSE.

https://www.micreviews.com/guides/best- ... microphone
Armistice

Re: Beginner Vocal Mic Recommendation

Post by Armistice »

What budget are we talking here? Secondhand Rodes are probably good value...

Don't forget to add "under $100" into your google search. And go and post that back on HR - they love that thread. :lollers:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:44 am What budget are we talking here? Secondhand Rodes are probably good value...

Don't forget to add "under $100" into your google search. And go and post that back on HR - they love that thread. :lollers:
haha, not sure I want to blatantly troll them!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I still do most of my vocals through at AT2020. If I can sound fucking awesome through it, then someone that can actually sing surely can too.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:59 am I still do most of my vocals through at AT2020. If I can sound fucking awesome through it, then someone that can actually sing surely can too.
Cheers,
rayc

Post by rayc »

I have an AT2020 also and it's great, a Behringer C1 that is pretty good - FAR better than expected. I have a Focusrite that came with the 2i2, a CM25?, that isn't too bad either. I also have a bundle of dynamics from a 57 to a 58 clone. The 58 clone - a La Grange - was quite popular with singers when I did some sound reinforcement in the early 90s.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

rayc wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:40 am I have an AT2020 also and it's great, a Behringer C1 that is pretty good - FAR better than expected. I have a Focusrite that came with the 2i2, a CM25?, that isn't too bad either. I also have a bundle of dynamics from a 57 to a 58 clone. The 58 clone - a La Grange - was quite popular with singers when I did some sound reinforcement in the early 90s.
Yeah, I'm going to give her my 2i2 and a mic. She has a laptop.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I can now definitively say NOT any of the Neewer stuff :D

The Behri C1 was definitely surprising, considering its low cost. Not a world-class mic by any means but at $50 it's very respectable.

The Lewitt LCT240 Pro was a pleasant surprise as well. Nice smooth high end to it.