DISAPPOINTING

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
rayc

DISAPPOINTING

Post by rayc »

This is interesting and disappointing in equal measure...[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F916ioSWdts[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Re: DISAPPOINTING

Post by Tadpui »

I'm only a few minutes into it, but it's interesting so far. I'll mark this one to finish later.

I should like Beato more than I do. I mean, he's knowledgeable, experienced, well-spoken...all of the things I'd want in a YT personality. But I find myself skipping over his videos more often than not. I can't explain it.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:00 pm I'm only a few minutes into it, but it's interesting so far. I'll mark this one to finish later.

I should like Beato more than I do. I mean, he's knowledgeable, experienced, well-spoken...all of the things I'd want in a YT personality. But I find myself skipping over his videos more often than not. I can't explain it.
His content is dryer than his presentation.

I keep on trying to watch his "what makes this song great" videos, but have never gotten through one. They're chock full of facts about the structure of the song but no real passion or meaning behind it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I can't make it ten seconds into one of his videos without wanting to inflict grievous bodily harm onto his head and neck area.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

His style is pretty dry, but I don't mind him at all really... when he's not talking about jazz or film scoring.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:00 pm ...I find myself skipping over his videos more often than not. I can't explain it.
I can. He rambles.

I appreciate and like the thing he's trying to do overall (share knowledge, educate musicians, help out budding home-recordists, etc.), and I think he'd be interesting to work with in person or maybe hear give a (prepared and edited!) presentation at a conference, but I can't watch more than about 1 of his videos every few months, so I'm way behind on his channel. (And I consume the talking parts of YT vids at 1.5x or 2x whenever possible.)

So,
rayc wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:46 am
, could you do us a favor and enumerate the interesting and yet disappointing points made by the good professor? Pretty please? Thanks. :)
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I've watched a few and thought he took too long to make his points. If you don't know who Andy Wallace is, you're not going to watch, so it takes far too long to get into what he does in this one and I switched off...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

SweetDan wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:25 pm
, could you do us a favor and enumerate the interesting and yet disappointing points made by the good professor? Pretty please? Thanks. :)
Andy Wallace actually uses a pretty small library of kick and snare samples and they used over a wide variety of his mixes with a little bit of the original kick and snare in to add a bit of meat to it. He also uses a heavily gated snare sample which he adds a tail to but using white noise with a bit of reverb. Actually quite interesting... but long winded.

I like the idea of adding a little bit of stereo chorus to a bassline.
rayc

Post by rayc »

SweetDan wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:25 pm could you do us a favor and enumerate the interesting and yet disappointing points made by the good professor? Pretty please? Thanks. :)
James covered it.
I found it interesting because it seems Andy didn't vary from his"imprint" much at all and was very successful on the edges and in the middle of famous stuff.
I found it interesting that he did more than mix - he actually altered content.
I was disappointed at the need to replace stuff, to get a generic sound and that the need to address snare/kick/bass didn't filter down to engineering etc. that it remained the fellow's secret sauce.

I used slightly chorused bass on Construction Paper Heart well before I saw this vid, (I watched it for the 1st time last night), and it does do interesting things but it also places the bass in a time zone.
Cheers
rayc