NYXL 50-105 Bass Strings

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

NYXL 50-105 Bass Strings

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Picked up a pack of these in Edmonton. I'll slap them on when i get back from holidays. About 2 weeks.

More to Follow. I guess. :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: No one gives a rats ass about bass stuff.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Re: NYXL 50-105 Bass Strings

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Rebel Yell
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:53 pm Image
f1siIOV.jpg
You forgot the keyboard player!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc

Post by rayc »

Shan,
How much were they?
I have 5 basses but I don't buy strings often - personally I like older strings on my basses.
I considering changing the 5 string acoustic electric my wife bought me into a 4 - just taking off the low B - I tried tuning it like a guitar but that was rubbish. i'm not REALLy interested in learning 5 string and, for me, it'd take some learning.
1 bass has Fender Flats - they were very expensive but about normal price when I bought them on special. The others have GHS or similar strings - round wounds mainly.
I'm not looking forward to buying strings for my short scale bass. I started on short scale and had hell buying strings in the mid 70s. They are more common now but expensive. in Oz we pay WAY more than you lot - odd since it's a shorted shipping run to us from China.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:54 pm Shan,
How much were they?
I have 5 basses but I don't buy strings often - personally I like older strings on my basses.
I considering changing the 5 string acoustic electric my wife bought me into a 4 - just taking off the low B - I tried tuning it like a guitar but that was rubbish. i'm not REALLy interested in learning 5 string and, for me, it'd take some learning.
1 bass has Fender Flats - they were very expensive but about normal price when I bought them on special. The others have GHS or similar strings - round wounds mainly.
I'm not looking forward to buying strings for my short scale bass. I started on short scale and had hell buying strings in the mid 70s. They are more common now but expensive. in Oz we pay WAY more than you lot - odd since it's a shorted shipping run to us from China.
Ray it's only 2018, you're not due to change bass strings until the new decade, I thought? :nyuk:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:59 am Ray it's only 2018, you're not due to change bass strings until the new decade, I thought? :nyuk:
That'd be about right. Even then I'd probably boil them & given 'em another 12 months before forking out.
Bassist naturally gravitate to the instrument because they're tight.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I changed bass strings once.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:54 pm Shan,
How much were they?
I paid about 35CAD for them. I think CAD and AUD are pretty on par with each other so that's what you'd be looking at i presume.

I change mine when ever i can't hear that thing i like. So it works out to like every other year or so. I have only ever used Fender bass strings. I never branched out on a good thing if i didn't see the need to. I figured everyone here is bonering over the guitar strings someone should give the bass strings the old college try. The guy i got them from also uses them and he loves them. his only gripe is that E and A strings are stubborn when putting them on and trimming them. I figured if that was the only beef i may as well give it a shot.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

5 strings are easy and worth learning ... especially for guitarists.

ALL you do is play it like a 4 string .... ignore the B string and use it and think of it as a thumbrest.
Do NOT try to play anything on it ..... it's a thumbrest.

Once you get comfortable with that you add one note and one note only ..... the low E on the 5th fret of the B string.
You know how sometimes a pattern you play across the bass gets disrupted because you have to play an open string for that low E?
Now you can stay in the pattern because you can play the low E on that 5th fret.

That alone is worth a 5 string.
Don't try ANY other notes than that low E until you're comfortable with that.

Then eventually once you get comfortable with that you can occasionally add some of the lower notes.

But the wonder of a 5 string is not that you can get lower notes (that low D especially ) but that you can play a low E on the 5th fret.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Thumb rest for what? Electric bass is meant to be played with a pick!
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:02 pm (that low D especially )
One of my favorite bands, the bassist use that low d a lot and it really gives one of their earlier records a really cool sound. Like just mellowed the whole thing out. I couldn't pin down what was so different about it but as i started learning a few of the songs i was like dang, whats going on with that bass.

Sure enough he was hitting those low'd instead of the normal D. made for an amazing record.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

yeah ..... I'm old and I made the switch after playing 4 strings for 40 years and it really only took a few weeks .... if you try it just follow my steps and I bet you'll be surprised how easy it is.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:53 pm Thumb rest for what? Electric bass is meant to be played with a pick!
lol .... well , there is that.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:49 pm
Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:53 pm Thumb rest for what? Electric bass is meant to be played with a pick!
lol .... well , there is that.
Yup.. and downpicks only too!
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

My dirty secret: I've never changed bass strings before. I don't even know what brands or gauges are on my basses!

My P-Bass is in need of a setup, so I'm gonna have to get some new strings and spend an afternoon with it.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:02 pm 5 strings are easy and worth learning ... especially for guitarists.

ALL you do is play it like a 4 string .... ignore the B string and use it and think of it as a thumbrest.
Do NOT try to play anything on it ..... it's a thumbrest.

Once you get comfortable with that you add one note and one note only ..... the low E on the 5th fret of the B string.
You know how sometimes a pattern you play across the bass gets disrupted because you have to play an open string for that low E?
Now you can stay in the pattern because you can play the low E on that 5th fret.

That alone is worth a 5 string.
Don't try ANY other notes than that low E until you're comfortable with that.

Then eventually once you get comfortable with that you can occasionally add some of the lower notes.

But the wonder of a 5 string is not that you can get lower notes (that low D especially ) but that you can play a low E on the 5th fret.
You've given me a reason to take it out of the case if nothing else. Thanks, I'll give it a go.
Cheers
rayc