NYXL 50-105 Bass Strings

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: NYXL 50-105 Bass Strings

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: ↑Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:43 pm My dirty secret: I've never changed bass strings before. I don't even know what brands or gauges are on my basses!

My P-Bass is in need of a setup, so I'm gonna have to get some new strings and spend an afternoon with it.
Like... you have never changed your strings on your bass ever? or they have been changed but changed by someone other than yourself :confused: .
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:49 pm
Tadpui wrote: ↑Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:43 pm My dirty secret: I've never changed bass strings before. I don't even know what brands or gauges are on my basses!

My P-Bass is in need of a setup, so I'm gonna have to get some new strings and spend an afternoon with it.
Like... you have never changed your strings on your bass ever? or they have been changed but changed by someone other than yourself :confused: .
My Squier J-Bass still has the factory strings on it (4 years, maybe?). And my P-Bass has the same strings that the shop put on it when I took it in for a setup right after I bought it (2-3 years?).

I did at least change all of my guitar strings last year, so I'm good there :D
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I've owned my bass since the late 80s. I think it's on its 3rd set of strings. Maybe 4. I really don't remember. I have a new set ready to go I bought about 3 years ago, but it only ever gets played for recording for half an hour per song and the strings are fine. Doesn't even has a case but lives in the wardrobe with the guitars so keeps pretty dry.
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

/me puts on orchestra-nerd hat and joins the fray...

At $200+ USD per set (http://www.stringemporium.com/evah-pira ... trings.htm, for example), changing bass strings makes me sad...double/string bass, that is.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

SweetDan wrote: ↑Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:15 pm /me puts on orchestra-nerd hat and joins the fray...

At $200+ USD per set (http://www.stringemporium.com/evah-pira ... trings.htm, for example), changing bass strings makes me sad...double/string bass, that is.
That is insane.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Something must be wrong with me then. I change them just about every year. Once they loose that little thing i like they are gone. Maybe i have to get over myself and just get used to it? [erhaps i am just missing the finer points of a well worked in bass string?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I went about ten years or so on a set of bass strings. I only play bass for recording, and that's about 5 minutes tops per song. I never touch a bass unless it's time to track something. I don't ever play bass for fun. Never. So strings last a long long time for me.
Rebel Yell
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:25 pm Something must be wrong with me then. I change them just about every year. Once they loose that little thing i like they are gone...
No, I nothing wrong. I also hear and like that "zing" of new-ish round-wound strings on electric bass, and once it's gone, it's gone. (To my ears, at least.) So I'm curious how your experiment w/the NYXL's goes...it would be great if you could report back months from now and let us know how they sound, if they still have that zing.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. πŸ˜‚
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

SweetDan wrote: ↑Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:33 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:25 pm Something must be wrong with me then. I change them just about every year. Once they loose that little thing i like they are gone...
No, I nothing wrong. I also hear and like that "zing" of new-ish round-wound strings on electric bass, and once it's gone, it's gone. (To my ears, at least.) So I'm curious how your experiment w/the NYXL's goes...it would be great if you could report back months from now and let us know how they sound, if they still have that zing.
I could do that. I was considering doing a before and after too of my year old fenders strings. and then do the year old NYXLS. A 365 day window for a project is more my speed when it comes to hobby's :lollers2: :lollers2: :lollers2: :happytrees: .

I am 90% of the way to getting a half assed deal on a good Mic for my bass cab. I tried the 57 thing and while it does work and there is nothing wrong with that i got i got to thinking about it and the 57 freq response is the same no matter what i mic. I wouldn't mind having a mic that was design to grab a bit more bass response to glue the bass and guitars apart.

I will likely pull the trigger on that in the ocming days once i get the fuck away from this office and hustle and bustle. :like: :like:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

absolutely love NYXLs for guitar ..... haven't used them on bass.

As for the 'zing' thing ...... I too like that fresh bass string sound ..... like a piano bass note ..... like Squire got with Yes on that Rickenbackers.

And yes, once it's gone it's gone and then you can use the bass strings for years.

because a lot of people like flatwounds which, to me, sound about like dead worn out roundwounds.

:razz:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:36 pm ..... like a piano bass note .....
This.
Bill L

Post by Bill L »

I just thought I'd share this. Back in November I changed the strings on my #1 Les for a gig (the gig that I posted those videos from in one of the other sub sections). I use that guitar for every practice (up until recently 2 nights a week), my weekly jam gig and and any sit in's/jams I go to. So I'm talking lots of use. And other people always ask to play my guitar and I'm (usually) happy to let them. Back in March, we were in studio recording some tracks and I broke a high E string. I replaced it with the intentions of changing the rest of them when I got back home. Well, I didn't. And this past Sunday, late August, I broke another string. It was the same high E string. I will now, after almost 9 months of heavy use, change all of the strings. I can honestly say they still sound and feel great. Not rubbery at all but I do think it's time. I used to change strings on any well used guitar at least once a month but more like every 2 weeks (especially since I started playing more often). With the NYXL's, I don't even think about changing them until they sound real dull. And apparently that takes a while.

I share this story in case anyone still had any doubts about whether or not these strings are worth it. Trust me, they are.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

UPDATE:

These strings are friggin' brilliant. I am so impressed.

I forgot to tell everyone but when i dug my bass out to do that Christmas Cover song in Dec, not only was my bass still IMMACUATELY tuned, they still sounded brand spankin' new. Still have that piano note kind of chimeyness to it that brand new bass strings tend to have that i absolutely love. So i highly highly highly recommend them if you like a nice punchy ringy clanky bass string. I know some bass players prefer that flubby dull worn out bass string sound, if this is you, avoid these strings.

If i had one Con to say about them is that they are incredibly rigid and unforgiving if you like to wobble or do any bendy kind of things, which is likely rare in bass playing. But if you you prefer a high action on your bass for whatever reason these will also be kind of uncomfortable.

WJ.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

NYXL's for the WORLD!!!!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I love them for guitars. I'll try em for bass.

Now...where the hell is my bass?
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: ↑Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:27 pm I love them for guitars. I'll try em for bass.

Now...where the hell is my bass?
Possibly propping open a hood in your garage?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: ↑Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:32 pm
Possibly propping open a hood in your garage?
Good call, that might be where it is. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell