Latency Problem

Troubleshooting your gear or shopping around for new stuff. This is where you need to be.
JD01

Latency Problem

Post by JD01 »

Having a problem with the Tascam - only just noticed now 'cos this is the first time I've started recording an actually song with it as opposed to just messing about with tones.

It appears like I'm having huge recording latency problem.
The first beat of the song is the red line - but my bass is recording way behind the beat as you can see.
Behind the Beat.JPG
Don't know why its doing this. It sounds on the time in my headphones so I am direct monitoring.
But its recording with a fairly significant delay like I have record monitoring on. Very irritating.

Here's a few other settings, I don't know if this the right screen for someone to tell me what's up! But I don't know what I'm doing.
Top Right.JPG
Recording preferences.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Re: Latency Problem

Post by JD01 »

Oh, it shouldn't be anything to do with computing power. Everything was fine with my Focusrite, even on my really slow old PC. It's like it's trying to process the signal before recording
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Work on your timing.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Haha, there is nothing wrong with my timing! (I did retrack a few times to check!)
rayc

Post by rayc »

You need to be a predictive bassist I suppose.
Sorry, I can't help James.
I'm still trying to get my 8i6 to work with W10.
I haven't move far forward enough to get to latency yet.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Turn off direct monitoring, enable monitoring from your DAW and see what it sounds like. Still off time?

Also, go to the ASIO control panel and turn down the buffer size. Pick the smallest one you can get away with.

If it's still off, we can dig around a bit. I'm on vacation for another 24 hours but I'll check back when I can.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, it was off time when DAW monitoring. By a similar about to the recording above. I'll try the other tips later this morning.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, tried again today. Turned the buffer down to the smallest size, latency measured a 2.4/6.4ms which should be unnoticable - had exactly the same problem. The only difference DAW monitoring makes as opposed to direct monitoring is that I can hear how long the latency is (sounds like its at least 100ms, probably more like 200) instead of just seeing it on playback!

Think the issue might be something to do with this, or other windows settings, but not sure:
exclusive.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Tadpui wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:34 pm Turn off direct monitoring, enable monitoring from your DAW and see what it sounds like. Still off time?

Also, go to the ASIO control panel and turn down the buffer size. Pick the smallest one you can get away with.

If it's still off, we can dig around a bit. I'm on vacation for another 24 hours but I'll check back when I can.
I don't think this is actually related to the displayed latency, 'cos the problem I am getting is far more than the 6ms displayed at the top right of the screen. This is out by pretty much 1/2 a beat! (170bpm). Also my Focusrite has far bigger latency numbers than that and didn't have a problem, even work working on my old donkey of a machine before I got this one.

This is odd, its almost like its not using ASIO.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I just changed USB port and improved the problem slightly, nowhere near enough to be usable though.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

I found this tip-

"You use the tascam control panel software. You go to the settings panel. The mixer tab lets you build a real-time monitor mix. The output setting tab lets you select where to send the mix. The interface tab is where you can lower the buffer size. Make it low and you can use Reaper record monitoring, if your computer can handle it. Make it high and your computer will be super stable and you can still use the tascam mixer software for a monitor mix."

Have you tried changing buffer in the Tascam software?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've done some tests and I've using the manual latency adjustment thing in Reaper - I've calculate that my recording latency is actually about 225ms, which is fucking ridiculous. Applying these settings I end up more or less on the beat, although this obviously isn't a practical solution going forwards.
Calculated Latency.JPG
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Are you using all that pre-compressor shit?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:44 pm Are you using all that pre-compressor shit?
No, everything bypassed. I'm just trying to record DI'd bass!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:47 pm
No, everything bypassed. I'm just trying to record DI'd bass!
Ok well I don't know what it is so work on your timing. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, just checking all of the driver settings in Windows. I've downloaded and updated the the Tascam again today, they're up to version 2.11. When I click on the properties of my interface in Reaper it confirms that I am on version 2.11.

However, when I'm in Windows sound properties it says this:
Windows Settings.JPG
I reckon the problem could be something to do with this but I have no idea how to fix it!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Here's the audio of the problem.
Timing Problem.mp3
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

God damn, that sucks man. Return it, lol!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Try reinstalling everything
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, I've tried reinstalling everything.
It's weird, almost like it's not using ASIO. Very frustrating cos I actually had time to record this weekend but spent it fucking about with drivers instead.